Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - 2019 Nominees
I just watched the ceremony (recorded off of HBO) and I must say, I thought that this was a really good one. All of the musical performances were first rate and the speeches were all well done.
Can someone explain how Kraftwerk is a rock band?
(05-10-2019, 02:51 PM)Amos Wrote: Can someone explain how Kraftwerk is a rock band?

If Public Enemy can get in there, Kraftwerk should get in there.
At least with Public Enemy you had rock influence with their beat sampling, and their collaboration with Anthrax.

If you listen to interviews, Kraftwerk was very much conceived as an antithesis of rock and roll. They eschewed as much of the culture as they could, opting to make music with computers instead of stringed instruments, and dressing like science teachers instead of wearing jeans and t-shirts.

Their inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame of all things would be completely ridiculous.
(05-10-2019, 03:51 PM)Amos Wrote: If you listen to interviews, Kraftwerk was very much conceived as an antithesis of rock and roll. 

To me, that's VERY rock and roll right there. Also, Steely Dan said much the same thing and they still got in there and showed up for the ceremony.

Regardless, their contribution to electronica cannot be overstated, and their influences on new wave and more dance/electronic oriented rock should have gotten them in there on their first ballot.
Next up: things that aren't even music being inducted, because they had the right attitude.
(05-10-2019, 03:58 PM)Amos Wrote: Next up: things that aren't even music being inducted, because they had the right attitude.

You wanted an answer, I gave you one.  No need to get snitty about it.
Oh I'm just busting balls.

You have to admit one the most visibly anti-Rock and Roll music projects of the 20th century being nominated for induction in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is pretty amusing.
I just want Ralph to get on stage and deliver a speech along the lines of the one that Steely Dan gave: