Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018-2019 NBA Season
They're counting on free agents to be so in love with New York that they'll ignore the fact the franchise is an embarrassing poopnado.

I'm already looking forward to Jim Dolan's sweet blues track about this whole situation.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Favorite tweet I've seen so far from a Jason O. Gilbert:

Quote:This Porzingis trade means the Knicks have enough money this offseason to pursue 2 or even 3 new PR people to explain why they didn’t sign Kevin Durant
And I think they'll need to.

Durant doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that cares about the things the Knicks can offer. He's already been the best player on a not-good-enough team. He's already played under a bad owner and a bad coach. He's already been part of a superteam. What else do the Knicks have to offer?

"It's New York!"... He's already in SF. "Your legacy!"... He rightfully cares a lot less about that than talk show hosts and bloggers do.

Durant may leave, and it seems impossible for GS to keep Durant, Green and Thompson. But if Durant goes, I'd put the Knicks at about 15th-most likely.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Cuban having Doncic and Porzingis dropped into his lap in less than a year leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but the Knicks continuing to be a disaster almost makes up for it.
Klay isn't going anywhere, I don't care how many clickbait articles I see suggesting otherwise.

I can envision where Durant might see New York as his chance to silence his cupcake image among all non-Warrior fans. But on the other hand he is a sensitive dude. The NY media will obliterate him when things go south, which is the direction moves tend to always go for the Knicks.
(01-31-2019, 05:52 PM)Mangy Wrote: They're counting on free agents to be so in love with New York that they'll ignore the fact the franchise is an embarrassing poopnado.
As a Bulls fan I can tell them this strategy is doomed
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
One of the sports radio shows I listen to on the way home from work made the point that LeBron drinking wine on the sidelines whilst trying to power move so many teammates out of town in exchange for AD is a douche-y move.  I agree.  Same with any move against Coach Luke Walton.

But really, the only guy I wouldn't give up (believe it or not) is Zubac.  That said I do think Lonzo and Kuz are redeemable and I like Josh Hart.  Ingram remains an alien from close encounters. He has skills but ruins the ball movement, much like the outmoded Carmelo Anthony.
Rumor mill (for today at least) has Jason Kidd as the front-runner to take over after Walton gets canned.
(02-01-2019, 02:22 AM)Rylander Wrote: One of the sports radio shows I listen to on the way home from work made the point that LeBron drinking wine on the sidelines whilst trying to power move so many teammates out of town in exchange for AD is a douche-y move.  I agree.  Same with any move against Coach Luke Walton.
I found it kinda funny that he had a little Merlot before going out and getting nearly a triple-double, but yeah, I'd probably feel quite differently if that guy was deciding my fate.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Best thing about the Super Bowl being such a dog meat game is we can quickly get back to overanalyzing NBA trade rumors.

From Brad Turner's twitter:

Quote:Landed in Indy; update on Lakers-Pelicans talks. Magic Johnson, Dell Demps talked twice today, per source. Lakers willing to give Pelicans cap relief for Anthony Davis by taking Solomon Hill for Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Ingram, Rondo, Lance Stephenson, Beasley, 2 1st round picks.
Lonzo has removed all Laker references from his Twitter and IG bios. This is not a drill.
John Wall fell at home and ruptured his Achilles. Now out 12 additional months.
(02-04-2019, 06:54 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Lonzo has removed all Laker references from his Twitter and IG bios. This is not a drill.

He's getting traded sooner or later. Good riddance, tired of his dad. Enjoy him, fine people of NOLA.
Best thing about all the Lonzo trade talk is having his pops burn all bridges. He tore Walton apart earlier today on some radio show.
Just a few days after losing by 42 at Indiana, and hours after some dubious trades ... the Lakers just won in Boston on a game winner by Rondo, lol

Picking up Bullock and jettisoning Beasley were fine moves.  Trading Zubac and considering Melo, not so much.

As for Lonzo, I believe his game can be salvaged if he learns to shoot.  He's a solid defender and gifted passer.  His dad can get to fuck tho.  Best thing about this season is that he had been quiet until now.
Pelicans fired their GM Dell Demps:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb...881014002/

Falling apart bad for that team, per coach Alvin Gentry:

Quote:"To tell you the truth, this whole thing has been a dumpster fire,"
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/espn-report...09058.html

Well, it was always suspected, but here's the proof (Feels a decade or so untimely, but whatever).

I'm sure it will be glossed over by the powers-that-be but this is a major black eye for the NBA. One that, rightfully, should take decades to erase. The 2002 Kings loss in the play-off gets more and more suspicious by the minute.
The ESPN story is fascinating. Stunned they actually ran it.
(02-19-2019, 04:35 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: The ESPN story is fascinating. Stunned they actually ran it.

Me, too.

Considering how ESPN buried coverage of the worst college sports scandal in history (I can't remember the ratio, but it was something like 15x more discussion of kneeling football players versus the NCAA debacle) it's amazing that they actually ran this.

When the Donaghy story first broke and the NBA claimed that no games were compromised I remember thinking that they must think we are collectively utterly fucking stupid as fans.
I love the intricate code they had in place to know which side to bet. If Tim mentioned a "Chuck" on the phone you take the home team. If he mentioned "Johnny" then go with the visitor. Nice going, Windtalker!
I dig this kind of thing more than you guys, but they had a "Player's Only' marathon yesterday on NBATV. DVR'd the summit meeting of the Bad Boys backcourt and the Splash bros. Fun barbershop talk.

Isiah makes the case for Pistons criticized style being ground zero of evolution towards the way Golden State plays and the modern game. (small back court, 3 shooting big, etc.)

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Everybody try to stay calm. LeBron's playoff intensity level has been "activated."
Unfortunately, the rest of his team has activated the UHaul apps on their phones after the AD shitshow.
I and other Laker fans are tiring of LeBron's post-loss interviews blaming his teammates - he is as distracted as anyone on the team if not more.

And he isn't playing defense either.
Bulls/Hawks scored quite a few points yesterday 168-161. 43 combined 3 pointers. The highest scoring game in NBA history was Pistons and Denver-186-184. They combined for TWO 3 pointers made. 84 FTs made though
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
Apparently the Warriors are about to sign Andrew Bogut for a reunion tour.

I love it. He's the perfect center for their system, and will only need to give 8-10 mins to have a real impact. Plus he's funny and brutally honest, so a few good sound bites are likely.

And with him and Boogie, there's always the possibility of seeing two centers foul out in the first half.
---

Sure, I'll post a follow-up to myself!

Coachkiller James is rumored to be taking another head, as Walton is likely gone after the season.

Has any all-time great consumed more head coaches than James? Most all-timers make the coach MORE stable, not less. James would be on his 8th coach next year, 5 fired and 2 left at the altar. He even got Mike Brown fired TWICE (once when he wasn't even on the team yet)!
The Lakers are a disaster right now. Yes, Walton is fired once the seasons over, because with the loss tonight they're not making the playoffs, but what about the off-season? I heard Reggie Miller this morning on the radio say that they will make everyone except Lebron available. The Buss kids are certainly not living up to their dad's legacy.
I didn't see tonights game but have been skeptical of whatever is going on with the Lakers for a while now. 

I said to myself months ago that Jerry West is going to pull some kinda steal (for the Clippers) this summer.  I stand by that.  They have room for 2 max contracts and a whole team of interesting pieces to trade.
In a just world, it would be Earvin 'Magic' Johnson and Rob 'Botox' Pelinka taking the fall for this Lakers season, but instead it will be Coach Luke Walton.  As the bros would say, smh
Magic stepped down as President of basketball operations. No word yet on who Lakers will hire to fail at the job next.
To me, this seems way better than Coach Luke Walton taking the blame with a job loss (which was expected), but I want Pelinka gone also.

Good for Jeannie for possibly being behind this.
Magic gambled bringing in LBJ was enough to elevate motley crew of misfits into playoffs. He figured they wouldn't be contenders, but it would be an entertaining show. A foundation to build on.

I don't think you can be too harsh on him for that.

His only big mistake was rolling with Lonzo Ball over D'Angelo Russell.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Taking Ball over Tatum was a bigger mistake.
There were other mistakes as well, like not resigning Brook Lopez and trading Julius Randle.