Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Golden Age of TV Knockout
Have we ever done one of these?  Jeez, there's a lot I'm forgetting.  Help with my list below and we'll start the knockout after. For sanity's sake, let's keep it to dramas.

Sopranos
Deawood
Cur Your Enthusiasm
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Rome
The Shield
Downton Abbey
Six Feet Under
Walking Dead
Little Big Lies
The Americans
Fargo
The Good Wife
Battlestar Galactica
Freaks & Geeks
Dexter
Handmaid's Tale
Louie
Sons of Anarchy
American Gods
Veronica Mars
Nurse Jackie
The Closer
The Shield
The Duece
The Newsroom
Weeds
Boardwalk Empire
Sex and the City
Grey's Anatomy
Girls
American Horror Story
Terriers
True Blood
Friday Night Lights
Oz
Mad Men
Orange is the New Black
Stranger Things
Westworld
House of Cards

What am I missing?
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

The Wire
Twin Peaks: The Return
America Crime Story
Justified, ya godless Philistine! B5, maybe? Band of Brothers, certainly. The Wire. I'd be tempted to toss in Strike Back and Black Sails for some sexy time Cinemax representation.
Banshee and Millennium, for starters.
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
(10-19-2018, 05:29 PM)andronicus Wrote: Justified, ya godless Philistine!  B5, maybe?  Band of Brothers, certainly. The Wire. I'd be tempted to toss in Strike Back and Black Sails for some sexy time Cinemax representation.

No temptation needed for Strike Back. It's a must.

Better Call Saul and Bosch are my add-ons.
Hannibal
Treme
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Fuuuuuck! Told you o forgot a lot.

I agree that The Wire is a must. Justified and American Crime Story definitely deserve a spot. Black Sails is a good choice and I love B5 if we want more genre representation. Should we discuss a definitive 'start date' for the 'golden age'? How far back can we go?

I'd also throw out as potentially list-worthy -
Damages
The Killing
Lost
The West Wing
The Practice
Homeland
X-Files
NYPD Blue
Law and Order
House
Better Call Saul
Mr. Robot
Narcos
The Crown
This is Us
GLOW (depending on how you view drama vs comedy)

This is kind of a huge, unwieldy category. We might need to break it down into some sub brackets (year started? network?) and the put the best of them up against eachother
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Or just make it since 2000/since Sopranos.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I’d humbly suggest golden age tv to start with the Sopranos, as that felt like a see change for me personally. I mean, there was without a doubt great tv prior, but not as consistent.

Any takers?

See = sea

We did this 5 years ago, but much has changed in the interim.  Breaking Bad and Mad Men ended their runs, Better Call Saul and Fargo came around, Game Of Thrones reached its climax.  Twin Peaks returned.  Atlanta.

Any cut off is going to create issues. The Sopranos probably makes the most sense, but you are cutting off Oz, which begat it. What about shows that predated Sopranos, but did some of their best stuff after its debut (West Wing, Buffy, Homicide, maybe X-Files?)
SPARTACUS
BLACK SAILS
Ohhh! Altered Carbon and The Expanse for a bit more genre fare.

...and I'd put Angel over Buffy, personally...second best series finale, right behind justified, in my opinion.
Most of the obvious ones have already been posted, so I'll offer:
THE KNICK
THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE
LILLYHAMMER
Awright, how about this - I propose we do this knockout with anything starting in 1999 (the premiere year of the Sopranos) and that has reached its conclusion, or will do so during 2019.  I've listed 60 that fit the criteria, and I've left comedies off for my own sanity (though Veep, ending in 2019, was very tempting).  Here goes:

Affair, The (ends 2019)
Alias
American Crime Story
American Horror Story (separate series each year, so I'll allow it)
Americans, The
Angel
Band of Brothers
Banshee
Battlestar Galactica
Black Sails
Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
Closer, The
Damages
Deadwood
Desperate Housewives
Dexter
Downton Abbey
Firefly
Freaks & Geeks
Friday Night Lights
Game of Thrones (ends 2019)
Generation Kill
Girls
Good Wife, The
Grey's Anatomy
Hannibal
Homeland (ends 2019)
House
House of Cards (ends 2019)
Justified
Killing, The
Knick, The
Lost
Louie
Mad Men
Monk
Mr. Robot (ends 2019)
Newsroom
Nurse Jackie
Pacific, The
Rescue Me
Rome
Shield, The
Six Feet Under
Sons of Anarchy
Sopranos
Spartacus
Strike Back
Terriers
Transparent
Treme
True Blood
True Detective (separate series each year, so I'll allow it)
Twin Peaks: The Return
Veronica Mars
Weeds
Wire, The

Um... 59, I've listed 59. Forgot Sex and the City started in 1998. Sorry!

Cougartown?
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(10-21-2018, 12:39 PM)hammerhead Wrote: Cougartown?

Isn't that a comedy?  I always assumed it was... sorry, never saw it.  If its more drama then comedy, I can throw it in to replace Sex and the City before anyone votes.

There is so much trash on these lists it's not really worth it. SOA, Girls, The Killing, Grey's Anatomy, True Blood, Rescue Me, Homeland, Dexter...And that's just the ones finished.

A better idea-instead of a Knock out-people list their top 20 shows and give them a point value. Top spot-one point. after everyone gives their list compile all the lists. lowest score gets top spot.
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
Despite the last few seasons being not great to objectively terrible, I would disagree on SOA and Rescue Me. And while there's not a lot of love for Girls around here, myself included, it is definitely considered to be part of the "golden age".

SOA had one really good season and a half of the other, Rescue me got so repetitive the last few seasons. Girls fits the timeline of "The Golden Age" but doesn't belong. It's terrible. Would anyone put it in the top 20 of comedies let alone top 20 of drama/comedy?
Understood, but those are objective opinions. Feel free to vote them down or tap out.

If you reread the SOA CHUD thread I doubt you'll find any defenders.

Of course everything are opinions, but SOA, Rescue Me being terrible after 2 seasons are the consensus opinions from the vast majority who watched them. Can't imaging too many Girls defenders either

And I'm telling you a knock out is a terrible way to go. a consensus list is better.
Angel, this is not meant as a competition or a pissing contest, its a fun way to pass the time. Not sure why you're so hell bent on this, but you got it. Feel free set it up however you like.

I don't think anyawatch understands how this work.
Well, Neil, for what it's worth...I'm down for some knock out action. I vow to irrationally defend my two favourites whilst smiting the unworthy!
(10-21-2018, 04:27 PM)atomtastic Wrote: I don't think anyawatch understands how this work.

I understand it should be in the drafts and lists section
Sorry, everything I’ve done here for years has been through clicking on the New Posts links. If there’s a way to move the thread, let me know.

If I recall, there was one guy in the SOA thread that just loved it, no matter how rotten it got. I think the only reason I watched past the fourth season was to bust on it in that thread. Good times.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
+1 SPARTACUS
-1 Everything else.
I do sort of agree that, even if you have to kill some babies, you should maybe limit the number of shows (personally I'd say 40 is a good number), unless you want the knockout to conclude some time in 2025. There's a lot fewer people around since the last one and those of us who are often have trouble logging on.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(10-22-2018, 05:42 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: If I recall, there was one guy in the SOA thread that just loved it, no matter how rotten it got. I think the only reason I watched past the fourth season was to bust on it in that thread. Good times.

Ron Perlman was what kept me watching. Even he hints in his memoir that he was unhappy by the show's direction and self-indulgence towards the end.

And yes, Spartacus and Black Sails are both very underrated shows.
I'm gonna suggest 'no' to Monk. Less golden-age and more 80's-90's era throwback to Murder, She Wrote or Matlock.

Would exist w/o peak TV. Same with Psych.

Orange Is The New Black?
Burn Notice!
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I think Bates Motel was solid enough to warrant a place. I'd probably put it above over half those listed.

Doctor Who is ongoing, but that's sort of its thing and while its not an anthology, each Doctor/showrunner kinda has its own flavor.

Other well-regarded stuff that may not place high, but meets the qualifications: Downton Abbey, Sherlock, Orphan Black, Fringe, Crazy Ex Girlfriend (too much of a comedy?) and Farscape.
FEUD: BETTY AND JOAN deserves to be on the list. some of the best acting I've ever seen.