Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penny Dreadful: City of Angels
Well I guess you could say this season was the perfect representation of waiting for a powder keg to go off . . . nothing happens until it does.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
(05-13-2020, 07:46 PM)hammerhead Wrote: If this season doesn't end with a V-2 over Van Nuys I will be very put out.

Prophecy fulfilled.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Haven't watched the season finale yet but it sounds like it'll be my last for this iteration of the show.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
It really doesn't have anything to do with Penny Dreadful, beyond the title and creator.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Yeah, and that's been one of my big problems with the show. The other being: nothing fucking happens.

(Kudos, I guess, to Logan, whose thinking seems to be "How do I make a slow moving melodrama about race relations and police corruption and get someone else to pay for it? I know - use an established IP to secure funding!" But this season has been a real letdown, Nathan Lane's incredible performance notwithstanding.)
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

I turned on the show pretty hard in the finale. I’m still watching it, but it’s fucking terrible. Trite, cliched, completely nonsensical.

At least I got alternate history zoot suit riots.

Edit: It finally ended. So lame.
I'm not Avery.
So watched the finale. Not very clear if it's meant to extend into another season (which I assume is deliberate).

My opinion didn't really change. While I applaud Logan's convictions and desire to Make A Statement, this was 2, maybe 3 hours of story stretched out to 10 hours, generally with very little payoff. Too much melodrama, not enough supernatural goings-ons. As someone wrote above, this is Penny Dreadful in name only; the supernatural element could have been wholly excised and we would've had the same story with very little difference.

I'll admit that Molly's death moved me a bit, and I found out I was a bit more invested in the Tiago/Molly love story than I thought. But overall, the show just failed to get me engaged and give me a reason to give a shit. Rory Kinnear does EXCELLENT work here but to no real outcome: he's playing an actual Nazi who's also a philanderer...but also has a heart of gold?

I'll also praise the sequence in which the young scholar is being driven to the airport. Daniel Zovatto, Nathan Lane, and Brad Garrett all do tremendous work here, conveying a growing understanding and agreement between their three characters without saying a word about what's coalescing in all of their heads. And then we get the show's "Look at the flowers" moment.

It's too bad the previous 9.5 hours didn't have more of this kind of terrific setup and payoff.

If they return with this story (though my suspicion is that they won't), I'm out.

ETA: EW.com has a post-mortem interview, with spoilers, with showrunner John Logan. Interesting for those who've watched the entire season but doesn't really provide any new insights or angles.

https://ew.com/tv/penny-dreadful-city-of...-the-dead/

Looks like I got out at the right time. Those first two seasons of the original PD were very solid but dropping the ball with Dracula in the third definitely showed Logan is far more interested in human drama than supernatural fisticuffs.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.