Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The All New TCM Thread
Underground tonite: FINAL EXAM + NIGHT SCHOOL

FINAL EXAM is a wildly oddball/ underrated Golden Age Slasher!

What a fun pairing.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

DVR ALERT! Very cool Noir classic THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS airs at 1:15 PM tomorrow!

Stanwyck! Lizbeth! Heflin! And Kirk!

The July schedule has been up for a few days. The original STAR WARS is programmed multiple nights. Uncut theatrical would sure be a coup -but since it's listed as "A New Hope" I have a bad feeling it'll be like when they forced the special edition THX-138 on it's viewers. Does Lucas still have a say on the matter at this point?

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html...2019-07-01

Memorial Day Lineup: Brando + Clift in THE YOUNG LIONS, Huston's RED BADGE OF COURAGE, Anthony Mann's MEN IN WAR, Sam Fuller's STEEL HELMET, and Lean's BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI.

Tonite: end run of Paul Newman star of the month

THE VERDICT, SLAP SHOT, THE DROWNING POOL, and the flawed yet fascinating Altman joint BUFFALO BILL AND THE INDIANS OR SITTING BULL'S HISTORY LESSON

Altman was kind of the Neil Young of the RAGING BULL/ EASY RIDERS era. After every breakthrough, deliberately straight to the ditch: BUFFALLO BILL was to NASHVILLE what BREWSTER MCCLOUD was to M*A*S*H

The rest of May: look for a Hawks-a-thon of THE BIG SLEEP, RIO BRAVO, MONKEY BUSINESS, ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS, TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, + THE OUTLAW

Friday Underground has the drive-in masterpiece DIRTY MARY, CRAZY LARRY!

Set your DVR!

DOG DAY AFTERNOON tonite!

I DVR'ed the 2nd Pacino Essential from last night, 1973's SCARECROW as I'd never seen that one. Loved it. Pacino and Hackman (who was a scary mofo in this) made a great pairing, and I was really moved by the ending. Quite a few recognizable faces show up to add drama and greatness (Richard Lynch, Lana from THREE'S COMPANY, Eileen Brennan - who gets topless if you had a weird thing for her drill sergeant from PRIVATE BENJAMIN like I did) but I could just watch the 2 leads sit around in various rest stop diners, flop bars, empty train cars and cheap motels sharing scenes and talk about anything. I'd forgotten how much I missed soft voiced Al Pacino.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
Yeah, that's one of my 70's favorites. Jerry Schatzberg is a very interesting cat. Wikipedia says he's still working on a sequel! Maybe that brings Hackman out of retirement.

Richard Lynch was a revelation when I first saw it.

That one scene with Pacino is a masterclass - it's terrifying, perhaps even more so than DELIVERANCE - it puts you on verge of panic, just witnessing Pacino dancing as fast as he can to avoid being violated and because you sense because of his innocence/ nature he doesn't at first get the danger he's in.

Great, great film.

Even if you'd never seen Richard Lynch in anything (although if you grew up in the 80s, how could you not?) just one look at the dude and you can tell he's not on the level. He has the face of a snake that transformed only mid-way into Rutger Hauer.

That beatdown that Max gives him in the hog farm was sweet though. This is probably now my favorite Hackman role.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
Tonite: nothing special, but if you were a 80's Disney channel kid you might remember these fondly......

8 PM THE MOON-SPINNERS

Midnight THE NORTH AVENUE IRREGULARS

July is hot with tons of science-fiction coming every Tuesday evening. This past week they had Frank Darabont with Ben Mankiewicz for showings of several 1950s classics including the '53 "The War of the Worlds," as well as the 1956 standard-bearer "Forbidden Planet." "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," "It Came From Outer Space," and "The Thing From Another World" were among the others.

Watch the skies--and TCM's programming--for more terrific sci-fi this month.

And Monday nights are devoted to Star of the Month Glenn Ford. This week they will be focusing on Ford's Westerns--or at least some of them! "The Fastest Gun Alive" is one of the best Western melodramas of its eras, and the original 1957 "3:10 to Yuma" packs an intense punch, among others to be shown this week.

Late tonight they will be showing a pair of R.W. Fassbinder pictures: "Lola" and "Veronika Voss," both well worth your time.
Shohei Imamura's "Pigs and Battleships" and Seijun Suzuki's "Branded to Kill" were massive highlights of this weekend's broadcasting as part of TCM's foreign language spotlight hosted by Alicia Malone. Superb films, truly worth a look by any film enthusiast. Outstanding. Had somehow never seen either of these, and that is remarkably rare for a TCM double-bill of foreign language films on a late Sunday night.

Tuesday evening's sci-fi tribute includes George Pal's "The Time Machine" (Guy Pearce is good but forget about that awful version) and Stanley Kubrick's "2001" among others!
I really loved "Branded to Kill."

When Filmstruck existed, hosts, including Malone, recorded special introductions to nearly all of the movies. SIGH.
A head's up:

TCM has a Sci-Fi classics run starting at 8 with CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, followed by this murderers row:

STAR WARS (theatrical? i'm tuning in to see. Lucas didn't let them do that with THX-138, so probably not)

STAR TREK II

SOLARIS (original)

LOGAN'S RUN

WESTWORLD

and for a grand finale.... 2010

Pretty cool.

Damn. That's an incredible line up.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Yeah, I really doubt that's the theatrical version of Star Wars, or else you'd be hearing it hyped to high heaven.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(07-30-2019, 01:25 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Yeah, I really doubt that's the theatrical version of Star Wars, or else you'd be hearing it hyped to high heaven.

And indeed it was not. Humorously TCM will be showing it again tonight at 5:00 west coast time, 8:00 east coast time, to cap off the month of July with a special look at 20th Century Fox and some of their greatest hits such as Young Frankenstein and The French Connection. So TCM is wrapping up July in style! The color noir Niagara starring Marilyn Monroe and Joseph Cotten is also on tonight! Lots of fun. And in only hours, TCM's "Summer Under the Stars" commences with one classic star after another highlighted, each for 24 hours, for the entire 31-day month, beginning with Henry Fonda this year for August 1. Looking forward to Ruth Hussey on August 2 as well as many others including Liv Ullmann and Dustin Hoffman among some of the more "extraordinary" picks for the month alongside the stalwarts such as the aforementioned Fonda, Audrey Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart, Shirley Temple, James Stewart and others!
Summer Under the Stars does look great - https://summer.tcm.com/

That day of Buster Keaton looks amazing.
(07-31-2019, 09:56 AM)Mangy Wrote: Summer Under the Stars does look great - https://summer.tcm.com/

That day of Buster Keaton looks amazing.

I get the needs of programming, but I kinda wish they'd run the films chronologically each day.

Surprised they resisted slotting Casablanca for Bogart's day.

And that Errol Flynn day looks like a ton of fun.

----------

Damn. Tons of great flicks to watch, or watch again.

Bummed that they left My Favorite Wife out of Irene Dunne's day.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I was surprised by some of the missing films as well. No Rear Window on Jimmy Stewart Day?

I also had no idea that Rita Moreno is in Singin' in the Rain.
(07-31-2019, 10:28 AM)Mangy Wrote: I also had no idea that Rita Moreno is in Singin' in the Rain.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, she's one of Lina Lamont's friends.

----------

(07-31-2019, 08:10 AM)noirheaven Wrote:
(07-30-2019, 01:25 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Yeah, I really doubt that's the theatrical version of Star Wars, or else you'd be hearing it hyped to high heaven.

And indeed it was not. Humorously TCM will be showing it again tonight at 5:00 west coast time, 8:00 east coast time, to cap off the month of July with a special look at 20th Century Fox and some of their greatest hits such as Young Frankenstein and The French Connection.

I don't think it was even in the right aspect ratio.

The fact the vapid introduction didn't bother to mention the Lucas changes and ensuing controversy was insulting and a bit infuriating. They just announced it as a 1977 film.

(07-31-2019, 03:19 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 08:10 AM)noirheaven Wrote:

And indeed it was not. Humorously TCM will be showing it again tonight at 5:00 west coast time, 8:00 east coast time, to cap off the month of July with a special look at 20th Century Fox and some of their greatest hits such as Young Frankenstein and The French Connection.

I don't think it was even in the right aspect ratio.

The fact the vapid introduction didn't bother to mention the Lucas changes and ensuing controversy was insulting and a bit infuriating. They just announced it as a 1977 film.

The introductions are for the most part so good, and Alicia Malone is great, but she/her intros seemed "off" with both Close Encounters of the Third Kind and the other 1977 film for the evening. Could not agree more.

Did learn something with her discussion of the death threats Leonard Nimoy received once some disturbed fans of Star Trek learned of the plan for his character to meet an unhappy fate in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, though.
Initially I wasn't too enthused about TCM's September, but at second glance, some cool stuff:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html...2019-09-01

Right out the gate: Hitch's LIFEBOAT, BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT (a Fritz Lang joint I've never seen), KISS BEFORE DYING, CAPE FEAR, TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, THE LOVE BUG (haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I'm on a '69 kick, so curious), TROG (!), INTRUDER IN THE DUST, PHENIX CITY STORY, ODE TO BILLIE JOE (only faintest cable daze memory), THEM!, THE FLY (they programmed both of those a lot this summer), THE SHOOTING, THE WILD ONE, SOUNDER, THE BIG CLOCK, A PLACE IN THE SUN, BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING, THE SLENDER THREAD, etc. - not too shabby.

Look for all the classic Bond films - and the Bronson duds- sprinkled throughout the month. Have they ever been on TCM before?

I watched LIFEBOAT a couple of months ago after seeing Roger Avary post on Letterboxd about how an argument with his film professor led to him leaving school (Avary contended it was his favorite Hitchcock film). I don't quite agree with Avary but it's really, really good. (Hitchcock-wise, I'm a REAR WINDOW guy.)
Exciting:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-ar...day-nights

Quote:Author, film professor and archivist Jacqueline Stewart first fell in love with classic cinema as a kid staying up past bedtime to watch old movies with her aunt on television.

“As a film scholar, sometimes we don’t really appreciate the history of showing films on TV, but that’s the way that film was introduced to [many of] us,” said Stewart by phone from Atlanta. “Just the fact that it was a family experience, that kind of communal experience of watching it together in the comfort of home, it felt special.”

The cinephile, a professor of cinema and media studies at the University of Chicago as well as the institution’s director of arts and public life, plus a three-time appointee to the National Film Preservation Board (which advises the Library of Congress) and chair of its diversity task force, can add TV personality to her credits as she makes history this month in becoming Turner Classic Movies’ first African American host.

Stewart will host the network’s “Silent Sunday Nights” programming beginning Sept. 15, introducing curated films and providing historical context. September’s crop of films include Lewis Milestone’s “Two Arabian Nights” (1927) and “The Racket” (1928) as well as 1912’s “Cleopatra” starring Helen Gardner, the first actress to establish her own production company.