Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
West Side Story Pre-Release Discussion (Spielberg ... 2020?) sponsored by Overlord
I haven't missed a Steven Spielberg film in theaters since AMISTAD. As much as I wish he was spending his time on something else, I won't be missing this one in theaters, either.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Word is this films from June through September.

I will probably see this, despite not having particularly favorable opinions of the 1961 film.  Obviously, a number of the songs are terrific, but as a drama it is pretty inoperable, and as far as I'm concerned it does nothing to justify the two-and-a-half hour canvas it presumes to occupy.

The appeal to me here is Spielberg Does A Musical, and since he has supposedly been itching to do one for decades, I am eager to see if that translates to the kind of flexing and engagement that makes a film an event when coming from a master filmmaker.
http://amblin.com/press/broadways-mike-f...ide-story/

Quote:MIKE FAIST, ANA ISABELLE CAST AS RIFF AND ROSALIA IN SPIELBERG’S 'WEST SIDE STORY'

APRIL 16, 2019 via Amblin Partners
SHARE ON SOCIAL:

FILM ALSO ANNOUNCES CASTING FOR THE SHARKS & THE JETS, WITH OVER 50 NEW CAST MEMBERS IN FEATURE DEBUTS

Los Angeles, Calif. (April 16, 2019) – Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story rounded out its casting today, with more than 50 actors, singers and dancers joining the film as the ensemble cast of Sharks and Jets, the rival street gangs at the center of the musical’s timeless love story.

The role of Riff – the leader of the Jets – will be played by actor Mike Faist, who is best known for originating roles in the Broadway productions of Dear Evan Hansen and Newsies. Puerto Rican singer, actress and dancer Ana Isabelle will play Rosalia, who works with Maria.

After an extensive search that included open casting calls in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago and San Juan, West Side Story has assembled a cast that brings a wide range of musical theater experience to the production, including many Broadway and national tour credits.

Casting Director Cindy Tolan looked at more than 30,000 performers, making this Spielberg’s broadest casting search since Schindler’s List (1993). For over 50 new cast members, West Side Story will mark their feature film debuts.

The Sharks and Jets appear in several of West Side Story’s most iconic song and dance scenes, including “Cool,” “America,” “Gee, Officer Krupke,” “Jet Song” and “I Feel Pretty.” It was previously announced that Justin Peck will choreograph the numbers in the film.

“One of our largest priorities was to find a caliber of triple-threats who could bring this film to life with great proficiency,” said Peck. “West Side Story has influenced generations of dancers since its inception, and I am thrilled that we have found this extraordinary group to bring our new vision for the musical to the big screen.”

The performers joining the cast of West Side Story include:

SHARKS
David Aviles Morales
Yesenia Ayala
María Alejandra Castillo
Annelise Cepero
Andrei Chagas
Jeanette Delgado
Kelvin Delgado
Gaby Diaz
Yurel Echezarreta
Adriel Flete
Carlos E. Gonzalez
David Guzman
Jacob Guzman
Ana Isabelle
Melody Martí
Ilda Mason
Juliette Feliciano Ortiz
Edriz E. Rosa Pérez
Maria Alexis Rodriguez
Julius Anthony Rubio
Carlos Sánchez Falú
Sebastian Serra
Gabriela Soto
Ricky Ubeda
Tanairi Vazquez
Jamila Velazquez
Isabella Ward
Ricardo Zayas

JETS
Brianna Abruzzo
Kyle Allen
Kyle Coffman
Ben Cook
Harrison Coll
Kevin Csolak
Kellie Drobnick
Julian Elia
Myles Erlick
Leigh-Ann Esty
Sara Esty
Mike Faist
John Michael Fiumara
Paloma Garcia-Lee
Garett Hawe
Patrick Higgins
Sean Harrison Jones
Eloise Kropp
Lauren Leach
Jess LeProtto
Skye Mattox
Ezra Menas
Adriana Pierce
Brittany Pollack
Daniel Patrick Russell
Talia Ryder
Jonalyn Saxer
Halli Toland
Maddie Ziegler

These actors, singers and dancers will join previously announced cast members Rita Moreno (Valentina), Ansel Elgort (Tony), Rachel Zegler (Maria), Ariana DeBose (Anita), David Alvarez (Bernardo), Josh Andrés Rivera (Chino), Corey Stoll (Lieutenant Schrank) and Brian d’Arcy James (Sergeant Krupke).

West Side Story will be produced and directed by Steven Spielberg from a script by Oscar-nominated screenwriter and Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Tony Kushner. The film will be adapted for the screen from the original 1957 Broadway musical, which was written by Arthur Laurents with music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and concept, direction and choreography by Jerome Robbins. Also leading the production are Tony Award-winning producer Kevin McCollum and Academy Award-nominated producer Kristie Macosko Krieger. In addition to her work in front of the camera, Rita Moreno will serve as one of the film’s executive producers.

Filming is slated to start in the summer of 2019.

Oh it's on!
This has a December 18 (Steven Spielberg's birthday), 2020 release date now.

http://twitter.com/kristapley/status/112...7170445312

http://variety.com/2019/film/news/disney...203207661/

Quote:In 2020, Steven Spielberg’s “West Side Story” adaptation” will bow on Dec. 18
I was once at a bar that Mike Faist also happened to be at. He is very tall.
home taping is killing music
I like musicals and I like Spielberg but I have no interest in this.
(03-19-2019, 09:12 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I’ll wait until it hits Netflix.

Looking forward to figuring out if there are any libraries in my county and figuring out how to rent this from that possibly-existent library.

**I loathe these type of posts, but I will give in, just this one time.

[Image: D9QU1BiVUAAqPnZ.jpg]
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
So the west side of this city apparently leaches out all the color from the visible light spectrum?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Ah, a group of young toughs from the Beigetown section of Hell's Kitchen.
Meanwhile, Dan Fogelman sits in front of a word processor, trying to figure out what the Paramount logo should dissolve to.
Best comment I've read about this so far....

"Is this the new Gap commercial?"
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
I look forward to seeing it when it's available for free on a streaming service.

I also look forward to starting the post-release thread a good three or four days before it's released.

Obviously a production still is not a reference point for the actual film's look, but with Kaminski on board I have to assume this will resemble CHERNOBYL more than the bright Technicolor of the original.
*pushes up glasses*

It's not actually Hell's Kitchen, but the Upper West Side. Parts of the original movie were shot around the area that later became Lincoln Center. The UWS during that time was predominantly working class.

The downside is that very little of that period architecture exists anymore, which is why it makes sense this looks like they're sharing the same location scout as LAW AND ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT.
home taping is killing music
Hey look, an instagram filter!  At least his desire to make this sorta confirms my long held theory that he directed Williams to riff on "Tonight" for "Keeping up With the Joneses" for Last Crusade.  Guess the Jones boys were too slow.
Weird that this is slated for Christmas 2020. If you told me it was out in 6 months, I’d believe it.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(03-19-2019, 09:16 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I haven't missed a Steven Spielberg film in theaters since AMISTAD.  As much as I wish he was spending his time on something else, I won't be missing this one in theaters, either.

I can list the Spielberg films I missed out on seeing in a theater, either first run or rep-house, on one hand (THE COLOR PURPLE, MUNICH, LINCOLN and BRIDGE OF SPIES), and since I only actually saw the original WEST SIDE STORY about a year ago as part of my Classic Widescreen Cinema project, I'll try to see this one on the big screen too.
Thanks to dranbon for this, which I saw online elsewhere just minutes before seeing it here:

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread....pid4625841
Shot of Anita (Ariana DeBose) and Bernardo (David Alvarez) "on set":

http://twitter.com/CurtainCallBway/statu...0906566656
I really hope the actual movie ends up feeling that bright and colorful

don't do your usual thing, janusz!!!
My mental image of the film has it likely looking like a cross between Catch Me If You Can and Bridge of Spies (the latter more for its somber moments?). Or not. Anyway, filming is continuing. Maybe we'll get a teaser at Christmastime!
(07-31-2019, 12:46 AM)Nooj Wrote: don't do your usual thing, janusz!!!

It's going to happen, isn't it?

I'd like it if Spielberg sat him down and forced him to rewatch his own work on WAR HORSE. And if not for WEST SIDE STORY, certainly before INDY V (should it happen).
A spy video of the end of the "America" number, which appears to now be set in broad daylight on the streets of NYC, is floating around out there. Looks like the Sharks participate in this number a la the film, unlike the stage musical. Also, certainly looks like they didn't skimp on the dancers.
I hope, at the very least, we're getting UNFILTERED SPIELBERG behind the camera. He's been wanting to do a musical for decades, and I want to see him bring it.

If we're getting LINCOLN (which is a great movie) or THE POST (which... isn't) Reserved Spielberg behind the camera, I won't be impressed.
My brother-in-law is doing this. Third Spielberg project after Bridge of Spies and The Post.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
(07-31-2019, 01:45 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: I hope, at the very least, we're getting UNFILTERED SPIELBERG behind the camera.  He's been wanting to do a musical for decades, and I want to see him bring it.

If we're getting LINCOLN (which is a great movie) or THE POST (which... isn't) Reserved Spielberg behind the camera, I won't be impressed.

I wholly agree with your statement, naturally, and I bet Spielberg even told Tony Kushner that whereas Lincoln leaned heavily on his words versus Spielberg's visual virtuosity, this will be in the opposite realm, leaning more on Spielberg than Kushner. 

Spielberg has wanted to make a musical since the '70s, so I am sure he is intending to bring all of his "muscle" to this.

On one point, though: was The Post really "Reserved Spielberg"? The film is certainly only one of many excellent films he has made rather than one of his landmark achievements, but given that it is fairly straightforward material as a "reporters chase movie" as he described it, aren't a fair number of his decisions with that one a bit alarming/surprising? To me, they tend to be. Particularly the flourishes of what could be termed as neo-German Expressionism with a lot of the scenes of tension, and a host of shots inside the newsroom bullpen and the like. Granted, even Lincoln which saw Spielberg deliberately understate his own prowess to as great a degree as he reasoned correct for the work has a greater sense of geography and mise-en-scene than many an action epic, but I still understand what you are saying regarding that, to be sure. 

(07-31-2019, 02:28 AM)huntertarantino Wrote: My brother-in-law is doing this. Third Spielberg project after Bridge of Spies and The Post.

Exciting. Three recent trips to New York City for Spielberg. Hope it is going well.
I knew this was going to be period, but seeing those old cars in that photo just made me very happy.
Just this guy, you know?
(07-31-2019, 03:39 AM)noirheaven Wrote: On one point, though: was The Post really "Reserved Spielberg"?

Comparatively, I think it absolutely is. Obviously there are some moments of nice staging, including several decently fun long takes, but I don't get a lot of energy coming from behind the camera on that movie. BRIDGE OF SPIES, which is also Spielberg in Prestige mode, has a lot more vitality.
(07-31-2019, 03:39 AM)noirheaven Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 02:28 AM)huntertarantino Wrote: My brother-in-law is doing this. Third Spielberg project after Bridge of Spies and The Post.

Exciting. Three recent trips to New York City for Spielberg. Hope it is going well.

Absolutely. He’s done multiple Scorseses as well, starting with The Departed and including The Irishman!
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
(07-31-2019, 10:47 AM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 03:39 AM)noirheaven Wrote: On one point, though: was The Post really "Reserved Spielberg"?

Comparatively, I think it absolutely is.  Obviously there are some moments of nice staging, including several decently fun long takes, but I don't get a lot of energy coming from behind the camera on that movie.  BRIDGE OF SPIES, which is also Spielberg in Prestige mode, has a lot more vitality.

Hmm. See, I think Bridge of Spies is the better film, mind you. By a considerable margin. Not only as a stand-alone film by Spielberg but as part of his canon, just feels far more deeply personal, whereas The Post felt more like a solid feather in his cap and a worthwhile achievement. It just seemed like Spielberg, speaking strictly visually, mind you, let himself "go" more with The Post. Granted, Bridge of Spies has a tremendous spy plane escape right in its middle and The Post has nothing to compare, but removing that, considering the ground covered in the latter, it seemed surprisingly "wild" in the visual sense. Not that it made it Bridge of Spies's equal, mind you... Anyway, it's a fascinating discussion. 

(07-31-2019, 07:20 PM)huntertarantino Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 03:39 AM)noirheaven Wrote:

Absolutely. He’s done multiple Scorseses as well, starting with The Departed and including The Irishman!

Excellent! Love hearing about these productions. I remember when Bridge of Spies came out and Scorsese interviewed Spielberg about it and they exchanged tips on which places were best for Mexican food, etc., haha.
Cool footage of filming, about 2.5 minutes long:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7nD6PAg_m8
(03-19-2019, 09:12 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I’ll wait until it hits Netflix.

They're spending 100 million on this?  

Good luck, Steven!

Wow. Three months of New York location shooting ain't no joke, I guess.
Yes, I believe a sum of $100 million was allocated for this. Even with the tax breaks the film is receiving for its present filming in Paterson, New Jersey, those on-location shooting costs add up pretty fast.