Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
She-Ra:. Now with 95 percent less Toxic Masculinity
Okay.  The old show wasn't THAT bad but it was lacking in diversity.  As in any kind of diversity.   Not the case with a reboot that somehow honors the source material while being its own thing.   It's smartly written, has great characters, has body diversity in it and nobody makes it a plot point (there was a prom episode where I was afraid Glimmer's weight would be a thing but NOPE).   In short, this cartoon is well worth your time if you're a Master's of the Universe fan.   Loved it.
sounds good!
Yeah.  It's good.   I usually watch this stuff with my six year old.  Finished this out on my own.  That never happens Smile
As someone who watched the original show and enjoyed it. This is superior to it in every way. Fantastic stuff.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
this show is SO sweet!
Yeah, this show is terrific. In particular, Catra is a worthy entrant to the school of Zuko S1/S2-type cartoon villains. But yeah, overall great design, fun writing, perfect tone. Stevenson was an inspired choice and she nailed it.
My 6 year old is on her 3rd rewatch.  Still love all the characters but I have to say I really dig what they've done with Entrapta.   I'm not clear on how she was in the original series but she seems like a more amoral character than just straight up evil.  Like she'd totally work with the princesses again with one visit to the crystal castle.

Mixed feelings about introducing He Man but if they do, I hope he's a one show guest spot and gets mercilessly mocked for the name.
I watched a couple of episodes of this yesterday before recommending it to my uncle for his daughter and it's definitely very good.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Made the mistake of going on YouTube just to see reviews about this.    Big mistake.   While some are pretty fair about it, others are calling it "woke garbage".  The rest writes itself.
Yeah, never go to YouTube for reviews about shows like this. For every one video that does a good job there's a dozen Avians waiting in the queue.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
Yep.  Once "Social Justice Warrior" is mentioned, I stop the video.  I'm at 40 videos so far with that method...

I think they need a safe space.
‘What’s the point of this cartoon if I can’t masturbate to it?’

There, I just summed up every YouTube review.

-Bart
Absolutely amazed by this show (and not amazed in the least at the toxic reception internet fucks have been throwing at it).
Love the diversity in both gender, character design, psychology and personality in the show.
And even if you are enough of an insecure, hateful dick to complain about the show being SJW/Liberal propaganda, I think this show is much more ambivalent and objective in handling that spirit than say, Steven Universe (which I never managed to like, at all).
A perfect modern update, if you ask me.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
(11-30-2018, 10:40 AM)ryoken Wrote: Absolutely amazed by this show (and not amazed in the least at the toxic reception internet fucks have been throwing at it).
Love the diversity in both gender, character design, psychology and personality in the show.
And even if you are enough of an insecure, hateful dick to complain about the show being SJW/Liberal propaganda, I think this show is much more ambivalent and objective in handling that spirit than say, Steven Universe (which I never managed to like, at all).
A perfect modern update, if you ask me.

Yeah.  The diversity is not really made to be a thing.  It's just there.  The toxic reviewers actually never get to the actual show.  They literally only get to seeing what Glimmer looks like and checks out.   If they did try to engage with the actual content, they'd realize it's way better than the original.
About halfway through the second season of this show.

Really amazed by it. This is very good TV. I was hunting last year for something to watch with my daughter, I remembered somewhat fondly the He-Man and She-Ra shows of the 80s, and so we checked this out. It really has nothing in common with the earlier incarnations other than the name and setting ... sort of ...

And it's so much fun! Sea Hawk is one of my fave supporting characters in like, anything, ever. The show is by turns hysterical, surprisingly poignant and heartfelt, and it has really interesting plotting for a Y-7 series. Catara (the antiheroine) and She-Ra's relationship is ridiculously complex within the age-appropriate bounds they have to work with.

The goddamn unicorn cracks me up just about every time it speaks.

While it may feel weird to say it in regards to a kids cartoon, THIS show, along with Jessica Jones, is IMHO how you do inclusion/social justice/diversity/whatever in the modern era. You just have interesting characters be engaged in interesting stories and whatever they are, or whoever they love, is just part and parcel of the tale being told. It doesn't feel out of place, it doesn't feel gimmicky, it doesn't feel like it's pandering (*cough* that moment in Endgame *cough*) it's just an organic part of what we're watching. The characters are delightfully all different in a bajillion ways and it's fun to see them interact.

Just like with Jessica Jones, She-Ra has an all-female writing room, but who gives a shit? So long as the people who can do the job well are getting hired and the product is good nobody should care. Let whoever is captaining a ship pick who they want to work with and GTF out of the way.

I'm not familiar with Noelle Stevenson other than this (she's the creator/showrunner), but hopefully we'll see more from her in the tv/film realm going forward.

**Not a fan of the title of this thread.

Stephenson is the author behind the comics Nimona and Lumberjanes, and both are fantastic and share many of the same themes her She-Ra does; check them out.
And you are right in the money with your comments; the show has its themes and ideas woven into the narrative and characters organically, and never makes a big deal of them, choosing to present them as natural (the reveal of Bow's parents was fantastic, and Entrapta has to be one of the most accurate and well done portrayals of dissociative disorder/Asperger/autism in a cartoon show)
Nimona is being adapted by Fox Animation as a feature film.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
(05-08-2019, 10:24 PM)ryoken Wrote: Stephenson is the author behind the comics Nimona and Lumberjanes, and both are fantastic and share many of the same themes her She-Ra does;  check them out.
And you are right in the money with your comments; the show has its themes and ideas woven into the narrative and characters organically, and never makes a big deal of them, choosing to present them as natural (the reveal of Bow's parents was fantastic, and Entrapta has to be one of the most accurate and well done portrayals of dissociative disorder/Asperger/autism in a cartoon show)
Nimona is being adapted by Fox Animation as a feature film.

You're right about Entrapta.  Really well done.

I'm so happy that I was able to watch this without seeing/reading any sort of stupid (and usually its from fringe lunatics who somehow manage to get their viewpoints in our faces constantly) "backlash" before-hand.

Yeah, the only complaint I have about the second season is it's way too short. Only seven episodes?! Come on. Hopefully we get another batch of episodes in the fall.
Well, whaddya know. August! And Geena Davis is joining the voice cast?!

https://twitter.com/DreamWorksSheRa/stat...0779588614
Netflix has been doing these shorter seasons for their animated shows for awhile now and it seems to work for them.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
So, am I going to resurrect this thread so I can sing the praises of a Y7 Netflix reboot of a toy-advertisement-in-disguise 1980s Hanna Barbera cartoon?

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b7611426a297a09dda7169a...=giphy.gif]

Just finished season 3.  I half-heartedly watched season one with my daughter, just looking for something we could both enjoy.  Two or three episodes in I was like: "is this actually good?  Is this the quasi-Last Airbender replacement I've been wanting for a long time?"  By season two I was completely in, and I noticed my son, who originally mocked the show, was casually hanging around a lot of time in the back of the room, pretending to do other stuff but totally watching.

And this year they've gone to the next level.  This last season was unreservedly GREAT.  

The MCU fucking wishes they could regularly produce a protagonist/antagonist dynamic as complex, understandable, and entertainingly deep as the one between Catra and Adora. 

And, like all good villains, we often see Catra's point and sympathize, even though we know she's about a hair's breadth away from total insanity.  Always second best, always working her ass off (and succeeding a lot) only for Adora to constantly be the center of attention.  Catra was downright mesmerizing in these last few episodes.  

Entertaining and funny cast of supporting characters.  And I just have to comment again on how well the show handles "inclusivity," for lack of a better term, while keeping all the character appearances organic in terms of the overall plot and structure (no random "diversity" cameo from a director shoehorned into a 3 hour film here).  

Surprisingly complex and overlapping plot strands -- I counted no fewer than four major arcs being juggled in several of the episodes in this second half of season three, all handled well, all deepening our understanding of the often surprisingly sympathetic characters, and the entire affair rather complex given the constraints of the time limitations and age bracket.  

Jealously, unrequited love/affection (they keep it Y7, but some of the imagery is ... blatant ... Catra straddling a quasi-helpless prone Adora comes to mind), and, of course, the longing for acceptance and pride from parents or parental figures, heady stuff.

Noelle Stevenson seems like a major talent. I hope she sticks around in tv and movies for a long time.

What the hell is a "She-Ra"??
(08-21-2019, 03:47 AM)freeman Wrote: What the hell is a "She-Ra"??

[Image: 3819044_0.jpg]

For those of you still engaged with the show, the fourth season (five episodes in) maintains the consistently high quality and may be the funniest season yet.

I think Geena Davis's character just showed up in The Mandalorian (played by Gina Carano).

(12-02-2019, 06:34 PM)Overlord Wrote: For those of you still engaged with the show, the fourth season (five episodes in) maintains the consistently high quality and may be the funniest season yet.

I think Geena Davis's character just showed up in The Mandalorian (played by Gina Carano).

Shoutout to Lauren Ash, as Scorpia and Dina from Superstore are two of my favorite ongoing characters right now.

-Bart