Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Abyss Stares Back: The Cat in the Hat
"OH YEAH!"

If you were born in the 70's, this phrase would fill you with nostalgia for Kool-Aid Man.  If you were born in the 90's, it's a phrase that would fill you with existential dread.   There have been many videos and podcasts that document the absolute horror show Cat in the Hat truly is but unless you've seen it, you have no idea how completely wrong this movie is.

Over and over again, you'll ask yourself "Who was this made for?" and the answer is "Bo Welch's snarky friends who hate children, Dr. Seuss and especially Dr. Seuss's widow".

But here's the thing.  It is strangely watchable.  Yes the makeup for Cat in the Hat and Things 1 and 2 are nightmare fuel but the craft to make such a horrible film is on point.   The guy who shot Gravity and Children of Men is the DP here so it looks great even when horrible things are happening.  A quick list of offenses.

Mike Myers decided to just do Coffee Talk in a cat suit for 2 hours.

5 minutes in to the Cat's Appearance, you get a boner joke.

Mike Meyers looks and acts like a hostage.

The only POC character is a gross and racist Asian caracature.  

At one point, The Cat in the Hat says "You dirty hoe" .In a kid's movie!

There's this weird subplot where the clean freak boss of the kids mom will fire her if her house isn't clean for the company party.

There's so much more but the worst thing is that this movie probably means we'll never get a proper Cat in the Hat movie.   That Earth has been scorched and salted thanks to those movie.
It really is one of the more insane things ever conceived.
I should finally see it!
A short primer....

https://youtu.be/P9EoOuy4SkA

DO I SPOIL MYSELF FOR THE FULL EXPERIENCE???
(11-20-2018, 09:09 PM)Nooj Wrote: DO I SPOIL MYSELF FOR THE FULL EXPERIENCE???

There's no way.  The whole movie-THE WHOLE MOVIE- is fucking insane.   If watch a longs are still a thing, this would be a good candidate.