Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHANG-CHI/MASTER OF KUNG FU - Pre-Release Thread
Oh hell yes.
https://www.slashfilm.com/shang-chi-movie/#more-523015

And the director is obvious: Park Chan-Wook.

If not Park Chan-Wook, maybe Justin Lin?
I'll probably see this.
So will I.

It'd be great to de-age Donnie Yen to play Shang-Chi in this.

eta: they'd better shoot this thing in Shaw Scope:

Kogonada for director. Get dat sweet sweet Columbus feel.

Give John Cho something to do.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
Introducing Shang Chi into the MCU? Yes please!
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Can Iron Fist come too?

[Image: ironfist3-kISF--621x414@LiveMint.jpg]
(12-03-2018, 09:14 PM)barry woodward Wrote: Can Iron Fist come too?

[Image: ironfist3-kISF--621x414@LiveMint.jpg]

Netflix does not exist in this dojo.

(Yes, I know that's not a correct Kung Fu reference.)
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
I don’t know this character, but Wuxia MCU stuff sounds like fun. Maybe he’ll fight the dragon Iron Fist could not.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Destin Cretton (Short Term 12) is directing.

https://www.slashfilm.com/shang-chi-director/
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
pretty cool!
Short Term 12 was great! His follow-up, The Glass Castle, was decidedly not great.
Another indie director for shot reverse shot exposition scenes as the 2nd unit does all the action!
(12-03-2018, 03:20 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Oh hell yes.
https://www.slashfilm.com/shang-chi-movie/#more-523015

And the director is obvious: Park Chan-Wook.

If not Park Chan-Wook, maybe Justin Lin?

Did anyone see Chan-Wook's miniseries Little Drummer Girl?

I didn't even realize it came out last year. I'm angry at the Internet for letting me miss it.

(03-13-2019, 05:00 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Another indie director for shot reverse shot exposition scenes as the 2nd unit does all the action!

Ron Howard has an old-fashioned phone. So he can wait by it.
the empire never ended
Never heard of this character but im in!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Of all the Marvel films this feels like one that demands good action direction.

The Raid guy basically.
LITTLE DRUMMER GIRL was great. Well worth seeing out.
Wasn’t it only available for pay? Drummer Girl I mean.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Finn Jones for the lead.
Donnie Yen is cool but FFS it's high time for Iko Uwais to get in the big leagues.

But apparently no one at Marvel has seen a Raid movie or The Night Comes for Us because I would've totally been down with one of those dudes doing a hard PG-13 kung fu movie.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I feel like it’ll be sorta Kung Fu-ish, but with more of an emphasis on magical CGI-scapes and such than on the kind of athleticism on display in The Raid.

Still no reason not to cast Uwais. Might still happen!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
It's pretty funny to think that Shang Chi was created in part because of Marvel not getting the rights to adapt KUNG FU at the time.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(12-04-2018, 03:32 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: I don’t know this character, but Wuxia MCU stuff sounds like fun. Maybe he’ll fight the dragon Iron Fist could not.

Shang-Chi stuff isn't Wuxia, it's '70s kung fu, specifically Enter the Dragon. 

Guessing the Mandarin will be in this. In the comic one of the big things about Shang-Chi is he's the son of Fu Manchu, and I doubt they're using him.

(03-14-2019, 01:43 AM)huntertarantino Wrote: Donnie Yen is cool but FFS it's high time for Iko Uwais to get in the big leagues.

But apparently no one at Marvel has seen a Raid movie or The Night Comes for Us because I would've totally been down with one of those dudes doing a hard PG-13 kung fu movie.

Yeah, them, Prachya Pinkaew, Tsui Hark, these seem like the guys they should have went after for this. The guy who did some Brie Larson dramas you've never heard of seems like a weird direction to go.
So you’re saying no dragon. Oh
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Unless they change stuff up a lot. Shang-Chi is basically an American kung fu movie about a guy that finds out his dad is a super villain (Fu Manchu) and turns against him. Mostly he's fights assassins. With Shang-Chi think of stuff like The Streetfighter and Enter the Dragon mixed with SPECTRE. In the first issue he's sent by his father to kill Dr. Petrie, which he does, only to encounter Sir Denis Nayland Smith after he's finished; he's then told the truth about his father, which leads Shang-Chi to turn on him. 

Now if they change his dad to Mandarin, which I'd guess they'd do, maybe it'll have Fing Fang Foom in it. But generally Shang-Chi fights aren't super crazy in that sense.

There is a really cool Secret Avengers issue Warren Ellis did (his Secret Avengers is great) with Shang-Chi where he's got tech (because of the Avengers) that lets him make multiple copies of himself. Maybe he'll just have that here because of whatever evil organization his dad run. I know if I was doing anything with Shang-Chi, movie, video game, I'd sure as hell incorporate that in.
I think the idea of a Shang Chi movie is cool, but after seeing some of the action in Captain Marvel the idea of another indie drama director turning the action over to the pre-viz guys seems particularly wrong. Hopefully there's no Kung Fu Fighting needle drop.

I have faith that the Chinese will reject a half assed martial arts film.
"Such is the heroic burden. We must always mourn our fallen. Gone Forever! Dead like Robin! Like Supergirl! Deceased like Superman! Hal Jordan! All gone! I weep for them, and know that someday I shall join them. I must go weep. Like a hero." -- Kyle Baker
Yeah, this film in particular can't do the standard second unit Marvel action stuff.
Must be about time Lee Joong-Gi broke into Hollywood (apart from that extended cameo in the last Resident Evil).

Get the usual "unusual choice" for director Marvel does, then get someone like Isaac Florentine or Jesse V Johnson to direct 2nd Unit and action scenes. Sorted.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
With casting announcements bound to start coming in soon, I've been fantasy casting this one for a while and I think I've cracked it.  I was previously thinking someone like Lewis Tan because he's Asian American, impossibly good looking, a decent martial artist and he deserves to get a great break after toiling away for years now.  Or maybe Andrew Koji,who's been impressing the fuck out of me lately on both American Gods and Warrior.
But then I thought about the intersection between Marvel making a new star (which they could easily do with either) and the business side of having your first Asian Marvel superhero - specifically Chinese, and with the Chinese box office these days playing a MASSIVE part in a movie's success,it's the kind of thing you want to do right.

So I think I found the perfect choice.  Lay, from kpop group EXO.  And here's why . . .

* He's Chinese.  Not Chinese American.  There's a very, very large portion of ticket buyers this movie that are going to know the difference and it means something to them.
* He speaks fluent English, so no problem there.
* He has quite a bit of acting experience in several decent-scale Chinese action/adventure films, so he's not a complete novice to this sort of film making (most westerners would know him from The Great Wall, that joint US/Chinese epic from a few years back with Matt Damon).
* He's got the looks, and if you want that leaner, sinewy Bruce Lee martial arts physique, he's halfway there already.
* He brings quite a sizable and dedicated fanbase with him already to the point where his casting would be big news in China and Korea etc, but to the vast majority of movie/Marvel fans, he's not a known enough entity for him to bring any "baggage" with him into the role.
I think the dude's the perfect choice.

[Image: 1fa583d45032747409cc1c85f1592ab447493981_hq.jpg]
Can he martial art at all?

Not that any of the major Marvel guys are competent martial artists in their own right aside from maybe Hemsworth, but I feel like this property specifically would thrive to have an ACTUAL martial artist in the role.
Mike Moh can martial art. He's a fifth degree black belt in Taekwondo and has worked as a stunt man in Hong Kong. He was cast as Bruce Lee in Quentin Tarantino's ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD.
(06-02-2019, 07:33 PM)freeman Wrote: Can he martial art at all?

Not that any of the major Marvel guys are competent martial artists in their own right aside from maybe Hemsworth, but I feel like this property specifically would thrive to have an ACTUAL martial artist in the role.

A little bit.  But the thing that makes up for not being a legit martial artist in his case is that he's a member of a phenomenally huge boy band (both in terms of success and members) that is particularly known for their ridiculous choreography.  Since film fight scenes are basically an extension of that, he has the experience with remembering the choreo and the physical endurance to make it look seamless with the right DOP.
Shang-Chi is Marvel's Bruce Lee. Do we want a novice helped along by immersion breaking cuts and stunt doubles or someone that can do it all in camera in a single take? Mike Moh, yo.

That dude would be pretty cool too, Barry. I mean, the reality is they probably locked in their pick and signed the contracts months ago . . . but it's always cool to play around with this sort of thing.
Mike Moh was cast months ago last year for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, so he'd at least maybe be on their minds since his name was out there. He was also in Marvel's Inhumans tv show, so they may already know of him; although Sarah Finn doesn't seem to have done casting for that show...at least according to IMDb.
[Image: mania-done-aba8b7ec46d7530f7dc41db0050690d5.jpg]

And the son from Kim's Convenience is playing Shang-Chi.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!