Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STRANGER THINGS - Season 3 Thread (Netflix)
(07-05-2019, 08:54 PM)DerekM Wrote: Wait a sec, according to the timeline, this takes place in July of 1985. Where the hell are my Fletch references???

It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Season 3 was terrible. Steve/Robin, Max/El, Dustin/Erica were the only good pairings but they couldn't save this season. The adults were so cartoonish it was distracting. I couldn't take any of them seriously.

The Russian shit was beyond stupid and they are going to go back to it again. The Duffers need to switch gears and give them new, strange shit to fight. Based on the Day of the Dead movie and the new mall I was expecting zombies. It should have been zombies or something similar they had to fight.

The Upside Down is played out.
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
Alien zombies could have been cool.

I've been bitching about the Sheriff over in the Discord. He's awful and annoying and horrible UNTIL the action begins proper, and then he's Mr. Awesome.
Well, well, look what momentum killing subplot was not mentioned in the 4 minute recap...

Hate to agree, but this season was largely awful. Harbour and Ryder looked at times to be embarrassed by what was happening.
(07-06-2019, 06:09 AM)freeman Wrote: Alien zombies could have been cool.

I've been bitching about the Sheriff over in the Discord. He's awful and annoying and horrible UNTIL the action begins proper, and then he's Mr. Awesome.
His interaction with Mike in the car was unbelievable. No way does Mike have the balls to talk back to him.
Mike doesn't really. The kid is terrified of him.

Because he's a shitty awful GARBAGE parental figure and he absolutely should have Eleven taken away from him.
The Fletch reference is that this guy ... reminds me of ... this guy who was Fletch's boss ate the newspaper.

Overall I was disappointed w this season as well.  Had its moments but ...
Just make the show about the Scoops Troop, with subplots about Max and El hanging out. I love Steve and Robin's ride-or-die friendship so much. That group of Steve/Dustin/Robin/Erica was easily the high point of the season.

It was pretty wild how - aside from Dustin - the original group was almost totally irrelevant once the main plot got underway. Mike and Lucas' whole subplot was basically "uhhhhhhh girls.... different from us?" and while the early stuff with Will trying to get things back the way they used to be was good, he just pretty much served to say "The Mind Flayer is close!!!!" later in the season.
Thinking about it, this season seemed to be much more in service of getting the pieces where the Duffers want them for next season than anything else.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Is the next season supposed to be the last?
Well good news they heard the complaints about season 3 and they are going to fix it next season.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-seriou...31657.html
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
5 episodes in and it feels a bit like Stranger Things lite, or Stranger Things the Comedy Years.

Feels like it’s become a bit self-aware.
(07-06-2019, 07:34 PM)freeman Wrote: Mike doesn't really. The kid is terrified of him.

Because he's a shitty awful GARBAGE parental figure and he absolutely should have Eleven taken away from him.

Mike yells at Hopper that he's a fucking liar and crazy. Hooper gets cartoonishly angry and Mike gets scared. terrible scene
Hopper might be unhinged but you can’t deny that Mike deserved to have the fear of god put into him. That smug, mocking look he was giving him would have set me off too.

Besides it gave us Hopper badly singing Jim Croce in victory...which was awesome.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
The weakest season by far but it's still good. The kid playing Dustin showed incredible growth as an actor from S1.

The weakest season by far but it's still good. The kid playing Dustin showed incredible growth as an actor from S1.
(07-07-2019, 02:58 PM)Paul755 Wrote: Hopper might be unhinged but you can’t deny that Mike deserved to have the fear of god put into him. That smug, mocking look he was giving him would have set me off too.

Besides it gave us Hopper badly singing Jim Croce in victory...which was awesome.

Mike has cemented his status as my least-favorite of the kids.
That hair alone! I know it’s the 80s but with that do and your teenage, Bran-esque awkward-phase...sheesh!

Mike is tragically awkward looking. He's got Bran beat for "least graceful glowup".
My issues with Mike have far less (which is to say, nothing) to do with how he looks, and entirely to do with him being an absentee (some might say shitty!) friend to Will and Dustin this season.

VAGUE SPOILERS...

As the show has Will call Mike out on this, it's clearly an intentional choice. This season ended on a kind of mini "Breaking of the Fellowship" sort of vibe, so I would expect the Duffers knew what they were doing with Mike and intend for it to set up some personal growth next season.
I dunno... He wants to go spend time with his gf after several hours of waiting in a field doing nothing but supporting Dustin and his fake but maybe not fake gf. I think he put in enough effort on behalf of Dustin in at least that instance before hormones got him.
I felt like the show was just depicting that awkward switch from "All I want to do it spend time with my best friends all day long" to "Hey, I kinda like to do other things too" that everyone goes through as they get older.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Sure, but I think the show is pretty explicitly wanting us to empathize with Will's reaction to this transition more than Mike's.
Oh, definitely, but I also don't think they wanted us to be angry at or disappointed in Mike.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Sure, not at all.

He's just currently my least favorite of the bunch.
(07-06-2019, 03:40 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: His interaction with Mike in the car was unbelievable.  No way does Mike have the balls to talk back to him.

"YOU PIECE OF SHIT!" haha what?

Alan Sepinwall seemed to like all of the stuff I didn't, especially the humor, which crossed the line from "endearing" to "corny as hell." That "Neverending Story" moment made me wince, and Erica...Oh, Erica. After that one episode where she crawls through the air ducts and is a nonstop sass machine, it was like the writers said "we made a big mistake" and gave her a handful of lines the rest of the season. She definitely worked better sparingly.

Quote:He's just currently my least favorite of the bunch.

Will's a mopey drip ... I understand why, but that doesn't mean I want to watch him.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
A little of Erica went a long way. She was great in small doses but began to get grating when left to go on for too long.
Loved all of this. Pretty much a perfect season of television.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Wife pointed out something, without Suzie holding everything hostage with the song, those sixty seconds are the difference between the Ruskinator getting to Hopper and the Flayer getting Billy.

Ergo, Suzie is the real monster!

Yeah, the sing-along was pretty bad, particularly given the context.

I checked out the Scoops Ahoy in Burbank last night. Pretty cool, but I didn't go inside because the line was absurd.
The How It Should Have Ended crew practically got handed material, with everyone getting shot by Russians and the mindflayer stomping the station wagon as they're singing that stupid song.  Fuck you Susie.

Still, enjoyed the season overall.
I thought the singalong was hilarious. Made even better by the mocking by Lucas and Max.
I enjoyed it but it's definitely the weakest season so far. I hated Mike and Hopper in the first couple episodes. Steve Harrington continues to be the greatest character on the show. He has great chemistry with Dustin and he and Robin make a great pairing. Shame he never got to wield his bat this season in the sailor costume.

If they are going with a 5 year plan, I hope they take a break from the Mind Flayer next season. They could always bring him back in the series finale for one final showdown with El.

Has anyone else played the Stranger Things game on the Nintendo Switch ? I checked it out with my little brother this morning and it's pretty fun so far. I did chuckle when one of Nancy's side missions was making coffee for her asshole boss and co-workers. They even give you the option of using dirty water from a mop bucket.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
A spin-off of Steve, Robin and Dustin would be fantastic.
If anyone's interested, I saw some of that STRANGER THINGS S3 1985-edition Coke at a BIG LOTS yesterday.
Grab some Eggos and complete your STRANGER KITCHEN!