Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STRANGER THINGS - Season 3 Thread (Netflix)
(07-08-2019, 02:36 PM)Mangy Wrote:
(07-06-2019, 03:40 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: His interaction with Mike in the car was unbelievable.  No way does Mike have the balls to talk back to him.

"YOU PIECE OF SHIT!" haha what?
Hopper just lied about his grandmother being sick just to pry him away from Eleven.  I totally bought Mike's reaction there, especially given the cavalier way he treated "the talk" in the previous scene.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
It's also not a million miles away from how he talked to Hopper in Season 2 when Eleven finally joined the group.

Hopper has always kind of had the 'cool dad that the kids can shoot the shit with' vibe and he's struggling with trying to become the 'actual dad that the kids respect as an authority figure.'
I liked this season a lot. The Duffers definitely have a formula and they stick to it, but just about everything here was working for me, including how unpleasant Mike and Hopper were as characters in the early going.

I think these guys do a great job with tone. This season bounces around a lot - it’s mostly adventure/comedy, but there were some really effective bits of horror and moments of surprising emotional resonance (so help me, Alexei really got to me).

I don’t think any of it is really exceptional, but this is probably be one of the most watchable shows I’ve ever seen.
(07-13-2019, 01:16 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: I don’t think any of it is really exceptional, but this is probably be one of the most watchable shows I’ve ever seen.

I would definitely agree with this. It's not my favorite, but it's compulsively watchable. I think it's cracked the "season as one long movie" style to which most Netflix movies aspire.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(07-12-2019, 06:52 PM)Fafhrd Wrote: It's also not a million miles away from how he talked to Hopper in Season 2 when Eleven finally joined the group.

And if you watch the scene in Season 1 where they see "Will" pulled out of the quarry, he turns on Eleven pretty harshly there too.

----------

(07-13-2019, 12:06 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote:
(07-12-2019, 06:52 PM)Fafhrd Wrote: It's also not a million miles away from how he talked to Hopper in Season 2 when Eleven finally joined the group.

And if you watch the scene in Season 1 where they see "Will" pulled out of the quarry, he turns on Eleven pretty harshly there too.

talking to a kid harshly and an adult are 2 very different things.

you guys have a really low bar for shows. This was TWD bad. They followed the same formula from the first 3 seasons. characters like Erica and Murray who had a couple decent moments in S2 were dialed to 11 and they didn't feel real-all sass and moronic yelling. And Murray being the "voice of the fans" telling Hopper and Joyce to get together was embarrassing.

Where do they go next? Is Russia going to come back? The fact that they built that base in less than a year is a joke but since the Duffers are only doing the Upside Down they will be back with the same villains the heroes beat 3 times already. Not like they can go to Russia.

The sad part is they have some really good characters on the show. They ruined some like Joyce and Hopper but they still have a great cast and they are blowing it with a terrible story.
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
Hot takes.

--Hopper is just a borderline unremitting asshole this entire season. What gives? I assume that's he's the "American" stuck in the Russian gulag.

--The haircuts that Will and Mike are saddled with are just abominations. Awful styling choices for those two. I feel bad for teens who have to have those looks immortalized across the nation.

--Erica was just absolutely fucking dreadful.  Kept waiting for that character to vanish from the proceedings, never happened.  

--Thought this season was maybe a smidge consistently better than the second season (really felt that the second season had a few absolute clunker episodes), although no single episode was as cool as the demodog attack episode or the finale from season two.

--Some Terminator and The Thing mixed into this, and the flesh amalgam avatar of the Mindflayer seemed straight out of the horror genre. Not sure if I was a huge fan of the idea of bringing the Mindflayer into our world in the flesh ... I liked the ethereal shadow world version a bit better. Of course, the show threw me for a loop when it turned out it was just a flesh-y avatar, so I guess order was preserved.

--The Russian underground base ... why do they want to break through again? What's in it for them? More fundamental than how they build that ridiculously huge base is why they're expending this much effort in the first place. I still don't know.

--Depowering Eleven spared us a third straight season of a Deus Ex Eleven-a, and thank Cthulhu for that, because if they went to that well a third straight time it was going to be super-unsatisfying.

--Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman's kid ... didn't like where her storyline ended up going. Super, super fucking douchebag of her to not interrupt Steve (the best character on the show by a mile at this point?) before he could continue his spiel.  Pity cause she was probably the best non-main character this season (other than Russian Terminator, who I thought was a great addition).  

--That Dustin kid ... man, I know he's missing teeth and all, but his dialogue-heavy portions could be excruciating.

--75 pound waif has no chemistry with her real life boyfriend.  Weird.

--Billy didn't need to have a fleshed out background, IMHO.

--At times felt like too many subplots ... and two of them felt somewhat like retreads of prior seasons (Steve's plotline was by far the best, IMHO), but enjoyed it nonetheless

Kinda dug this season. Fleshy gooey monster craziness and they brought back the darkness of season 1 that felt missing from season 2 (which I borderline gave up on).

I was hoping in the final episode that when Billy was facing the Flayer avatar, and he was about to die he whisper “it’s morphin time” and my Power Ranger and Alien crossover dream of my early 90s would be fulfilled.
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?
(07-13-2019, 11:59 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote:
(07-13-2019, 12:06 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote:

talking to a kid harshly and an adult are 2 very different things.

If S2 had never happened, and S3 instead was the follow-up, how much would have to be changed for it to make sense? Maybe a grand total of 20-30 lines of dialogue? It feels like we received two different season twos.

** I have to wonder if some of the "marginalization" of the original characters has to do with the showrunners acknowledging the extreme ... limitations ... of some of these actors. Mike and Lucas, in particular, are portrayed by actors who just can't act (that Coke speech is one of the most excruciating bits of dialogue in recent television history).

Dustin and Will have fared a bit better in the talent department.

(07-14-2019, 06:56 PM)Overlord Wrote: ** I have to wonder if some of the "marginalization" of the original characters has to do with the showrunners acknowledging the extreme ... limitations ... of some of these actors.  Mike and Lucas, in particular, are portrayed by actors who just can't act (that Coke speech is one of the most excruciating bits of dialogue in recent television history).  

Dustin and Will have fared a bit better in the talent department.

The kid playing Mike was good enough to make me want to yell at him Hopper style. So there is that. 

Dustin benefited from being paired with Steve (the series MVP 2 years running) and Robin who turned out to be really good.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
The kid playing Mike was good in It. The material they gave him was terrible.
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
Well they fucked up Hopper's character for most of the season but he made a strong come back towards the end. Hell of a finale. But like.....how are they going to fight the mind flayer again? Seriously it's 3 times now and they just fought his Kong sized form which yet again ended with them closing a portal. I honestly have no idea how they are going to make the flayer interesting in the fourth season. I mean maybe they going with a thing of the Russians having some monsters they control but it's still shit we've seen before.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned that that stuff could be played-out already. We'll see.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I don't agree. In the first season, El defeated a single demodog (if I recall correctly). Second season, she fought against the mind flayer (mostly unseen except in flashes as a kaiju-sized Lovecraftian entity) to close the portal as the rest of the gang fought of demodogs. In this last season, the mind flayer chose an avatar made of flesh, blood, and bone (I LOVED the design) and El wasn't even in the fight to close the portal.

I like that it's progressed and developed rather than just starting over each season. I like how it's built on what came before. Supposedly, the Duffer Bros have always intended this show to run only four seasons, so the next one could be the last.

Overall, I liked S3. Maya Hawke as Robin was terrific. Dustin and Steve were a joy again. El and Max were good. Hopper was essentially ruined (and I don't think the letter was enough to redeem his raging toxic masculinity). Mike was an asshole but given the character's age, the time period, and that Mike had never had girlfriend before, I'm willing to roll with it.

Really, the only thing I actively disliked was the Russian Terminator. I think the season ill-used Mrs Wheeler, too, but the brevity of her prominence was both strength and weakness.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(07-17-2019, 10:05 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Overall, I liked S3. Maya Hawke as Robin was terrific.
TRUE. I really like the reveal of who she had a crush on. I mean I liked the idea of her and Steve as a couple but it has certainly been done and it was a welcome change. I do wonder how they handle that though. I mean it's still 85 and people were so far from being ok with that.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Robin's reveal was very well done, and yes, representation matters! I was, though, a bit bummed simply because she and Steve have such great chemistry.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

This thread reads like a True Blood Season 3 thread.

“I think I like this show still I dunno.”

(07-18-2019, 07:26 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Robin's reveal was very well done, and yes, representation matters! I was, though, a bit bummed simply because she and Steve have such great chemistry.

Yes but it felt organic and not we are just doing this to check a box. But as I said I do wonder how this show handles it. If shes openly dating a girl in 85 and no one cares that's nonsense so you need to. However I have seen how this show handles sexism....oh boy. I can't imagine how they would handle homophobia.
Steve and Robin being friends instead of being a couple was a wonderful choice. We don't see enough strong male/female platonic relationships in media.

It is interesting how the show has built Steve up by kind of knocking him down. Nancy leaves him for Jonathan, he gets the shit beat out of him frequently, and his feelings for Robin are not returned. And yet, if anything, all of this has made him even more affable.

I don't know if that's a REALISTIC choice, but I like it. But I do think something major has to go his way for a change in season 4.
(07-17-2019, 10:05 AM)MichaelM Wrote: I don't agree. In the first season, El defeated a single demodog (if I recall correctly). Second season, she fought against the mind flayer (mostly unseen except in flashes as a kaiju-sized Lovecraftian entity) to close the portal as the rest of the gang fought of demodogs. In this last season, the mind flayer chose an avatar made of flesh, blood, and bone (I LOVED the design) and El wasn't even in the fight to close the portal.

I like that it's progressed and developed rather than just starting over each season. I like how it's built on what came before. Supposedly, the Duffer Bros have always intended this show to run only four seasons, so the next one could be the last.
Yeah, Season 1 felt like the Upside Down realizing we were here and sending the Demogorgon to scout us out, then using Will as a sleeper agent to bring the Demodogs over.  Season 2 was then the first incursion, maybe even a probing strike to see what sort of resistance we could put up.  Then Season 3 is the Mind Flayer making a direct invasion, possibly with the sole purpose of taking out Eleven to prevent her from closing the gate again.  It's definitely felt like a progression and escalation rather than just "Upside Down thingy invades AGAIN."

----------

The Neverending Story bit is rightfully getting shit on. But I found the New Coke/Carpenter's The Thing conversation to be equally grating.

That aside, I too quite enjoyed this season and appreciated the melancholy cliff-hanger. Will it all be retconned? I'd be shocked if it wasn't. But it left me curious to see how the Duffers plan on wrapping this up next year.

The real ending to Big...
It's probably going to go 5 seasons so im guessing they won't.
(07-20-2019, 12:52 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: The Neverending Story bit is rightfully getting shit on. But I found the New Coke/Carpenter's The Thing conversation to be equally grating.

The idea that Carpenter's THE THING is equivalent to New Coke made me roll my eyes.
Though awfully polished and fairly entertaining, I found this season kind of awful in a lot of ways. So much contrivance and referencing and the humor was more annoying than anything.

I don't have a problem with the Robyn reveal but I do have a huge problem with the set-up. It felt kind of dishonest to the character for them to set her up the way they did and have the scene she has with Steve in the episode IMMEDIATELY prior to the reveal and then do that. They should have treated her sexuality as part of her identity, not something to try to pull a "SURPRISE!" on the audience. I get that people are happy about the representation itself but I think it could have been handled a LOT better, and I can say the same thing about a lot of the plotting and character work in this season. The broad strokes felt pretty cheap this season even as the visual effects, uh, did not.

The whole Russian storyline and Hopper's/Joyce's/Dustin's/freakin' Dustin's girlfriend's interaction with that was some DUMB SHIT. I get that Stranger Things kind of prides itself on having some dumb shit every season but I just was not engaged by this and it didn't feel organic enough to me to the rest of the story. The entry points for these characters into the new "mystery" (which isn't a mystery at all for the audience) felt pretty forced and since we all know what's going on it's kind of a drag spending half the season waiting for the characters to figure it out and get their act together. And what was with the whole Billy/Mike's mom thing being a sub-plot for like two episodes and then resulting in... some shots of Mike's mom kind of begrudgingly accepting her lot in life or something?

I thought the finale was a bit of a hot mess and while the emotional beats at the end were kinda effective it felt a bit like watching The Wrath of Khan after you've already seen The Search for Spock, knamean.

I dunno, the template has been the same for 3 seasons now, just with slight variations and different referencing. Season 4 needs a major shake-up in structure, tone, everything.
the empire never ended
(07-20-2019, 03:47 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(07-20-2019, 12:52 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: The Neverending Story bit is rightfully getting shit on. But I found the New Coke/Carpenter's The Thing conversation to be equally grating.

The idea that Carpenter's THE THING is equivalent to New Coke made me roll my eyes.

Li'l shit like that (and the video store manager referring to Star Wars as "A New Hope" - I'm fairly certain nobody in '85 was calling it that) annoyed me. Too much than it probably should have.

The real ending to Big...
(07-22-2019, 12:36 AM)filmnerdjamie Wrote:
(07-20-2019, 03:47 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:

Li'l shit like that (and the video store manager referring to Star Wars as "A New Hope" - I'm fairly certain nobody in '85 was calling it that) annoyed me. Too much than it probably should have.

True. Even the Special Edition posters and VHS Box Set from 1997 don't call it "A New Hope".
Yeah, but the video clerk seems just like the kind of asshole who WOULD call it "A New Hope."

----------

Jonathan would definitely have been parting his hair on the side by summer '85. And bleaching his bangs.
One of the scripts from Season 4 leaked. I'll share a sample:

Dustin (on his walkie talkie): "OH MY GOD, SUZIE, WILL'S MOM HAS BEEN SHOT! CALL 9-1-1! WE'RE STUCK IN A BUNKER AND THERE ARE NO PHONES!"

Suzie: "Hold it, mister. You know what I want to hear."

Dustin: "Seriously?"

Suzie: "Seriously."

Dustin (sighing): "You remind me of the babe..."

Suzie: "What babe?"

Dustin: "The babe with the power..."
(07-22-2019, 12:36 AM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: Li'l shit like that (and the video store manager referring to Star Wars as "A New Hope" - I'm fairly certain nobody in '85 was calling it that) annoyed me. Too much than it probably should have.

Nobody in my circle of dorky grammar/junior high friends referred to "A New Hope" as anything other than Star Wars at any time that I can recall.

I don't think it was until the VHS box set, which I picked up in college, that "A New Hope" became popularized.

**I would also note that I am quite pleased that the ridiculous renaming of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" to "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" has been steadfastly rejected.

(07-22-2019, 03:38 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Yeah, but the video clerk seems just like the kind of asshole who WOULD call it "A New Hope."

I don't think so. I don't even know if in '86 it had become the accepted wisdom that Empire was the best one, which they're clearly implying with his question.
(07-22-2019, 12:03 AM)wasp Wrote: ....

I don't have a problem with the Robyn reveal but I do have a huge problem with the set-up. It felt kind of dishonest to the character for them to set her up the way they did and have the scene she has with Steve in the episode IMMEDIATELY prior to the reveal and then do that. They should have treated her sexuality as part of her identity, not something to try to pull a "SURPRISE!" on the audience. I get that people are happy about the representation itself but I think it could have been handled a LOT better, and I can say the same thing about a lot of the plotting and character work in this season. The broad strokes felt pretty cheap this season even as the visual effects, uh, did not.

I agree (I think I pointed this out in my initial review).  Felt contrived for the audience's benefits so we could be wowed, but felt entirely unnatural and kind of made Robin seem like a bit of a jerk for not cutting Steve off earlier.  

(07-23-2019, 02:07 AM)Fafhrd Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 03:38 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Yeah, but the video clerk seems just like the kind of asshole who WOULD call it "A New Hope."

I don't think so.

Yeah.  I don't think so either.  That just wasn't happening in the 80s.

People faulting Robin seem to forget that being openly gay in 1985 was asking for a LOT of trouble, bigotry, and emotional (and likely physical) punishment.

(07-23-2019, 09:34 PM)MichaelM Wrote: People faulting Robin seem to forget that being openly gay in 1985 was asking for a LOT of trouble, bigotry, and emotional (and likely physical) punishment.

Personally, I'm not faulting Robyn at all (though maybe I'm somewhat faulting not enough nuance in Maya Hawke's performance, I guess, though I think she was good overall), I'm faulting the screenwriters for how they set her up, especially in the penultimate episode.

Your point makes total sense but what doesn't make total sense is the way Robyn makes her confession to Steve on the floor of the secret Russian base and how that whole scene plays out and then what the follow-up is. Again, maybe I should be putting some fault on Maya's performance in that prior scene, but clearly the creative team played it like a "switcheroo" set-up and I find that pretty problematic.
the empire never ended