Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The All Purpose SHOWS THAT AREN'T WORTH A DEDICATED THREAD Thread
There's like a billion TV and streaming shows out at the moment, with more coming out every day, and about nine hundred million of those don't deserve their own threads so I figured this might be a place to discuss them.

Anyway I actually started this thread to ask about a show I've never seen but have heard good things about - has anyone watched ESCAPE AT DANNEMORA? Is it worth watching?
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
The fist 5 mins of this week's ep is so well shot.
I remember a time where you could pretty easily watch every good show.

Now it's beyond impossible. I've started so many shows where I'm like, "This seems pretty good BUT I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR 'PRETTY GOOD,' I DON'T EVEN HAVE ENOUGH TIME FOR 'REALLY GOOD' AND BARELY ENOUGH TIME FOR 'GREAT.'"

sorry about the CAPS but I feel like my head's about to explode every time I start looking through my streaming scrolls.
the empire never ended
I'm into ESCAPE AT DANNEMORA. It's a pretty wild story and Del Toro, Arquette and David Morse are all doing some great work on it.

I watched BAD BLOOD on Netflix. Guess it was originally a Canadian show. It's with Kim Coates and Anthony LaPaglia as a mob family who rule the Montreal underworld. It's basically all the mob clichés we've seen a hundred times before. Lots of "Never go against the family!" and all that jazz. Not that great but I did watch all six episodes so it held my attention to some degree.
(12-19-2018, 07:33 PM)wasp Wrote: I remember a time where you could pretty easily watch every good show.

Now it's beyond impossible. I've started so many shows where I'm like, "This seems pretty good BUT I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR 'PRETTY GOOD,' I DON'T EVEN HAVE ENOUGH TIME FOR 'REALLY GOOD' AND BARELY ENOUGH TIME FOR 'GREAT.'"

sorry about the CAPS but I feel like my head's about to explode every time I start looking through my streaming scrolls.
Funny I was just thinking this exact thing recently. The amount of shows and places to watch them-Netflix, Amazon, HBO, AMC, Showtime, Hulu, FX, ......., etc. hasn't gotten to a point where ONLY GREAT shows are worth watching. Mediocre to pretty good just doesn't cut it anymore. I suppose that only adds to a level of quality as showrunners and producers have to aim really, really, really, high to get their audience to tune in.
I’m currently watching ‘1983’ on Netflix. It’s a nifty little conspiracy/murder mystery, set in an alternate history Poland, where the Solidarity movement was stillborn and the Soviet Union never fell. Really tight little dystopian thriller with a great look to it. Another selling point...it’s only eight episodes long, so not a huge investment in time.
I'll check that one out. Netflix seem to be adding tons of shows every week and I almost never have an idea if they're any good. I did check out The Bodyguard recently. It's about as ludicrous as a season of 24 but still a lot of fun and also 6 episodes so not a massive investment.
(12-19-2018, 08:25 PM)history buff Wrote:
(12-19-2018, 07:33 PM)wasp Wrote: I remember a time where you could pretty easily watch every good show.

Funny I was just thinking this exact thing recently. The amount of shows and places to watch them-Netflix, Amazon, HBO, AMC, Showtime, Hulu, FX, ......., etc. hasn't gotten to a point where ONLY GREAT shows are worth watching. Mediocre to pretty good just doesn't cut it anymore. I suppose that only adds to a level of quality as showrunners and producers have to aim really, really, really, high to get their audience to tune in.

It's at that point where I've even started shows that are really good and then I'll read a couple reviews about how they fell off in season 3 or whatever and I will immediately jump ship. In an ideal world I'd have the time to watch and decide for myself or at least enjoy the show while it's good, but now it's like, sorry, no, can't.

It is an interesting dynamic, though, kind of waiting for shows that have more serial stories to have a few seasons on streaming before you decide to commit or not.
the empire never ended
heheheh I don't watch any shows
what, no TV inside the theater projector room you live in?
the empire never ended
I thought HOMECOMING was really good, and I liked Esmail's work on this even more than MR. ROBOT, but that didn't seem to gain much traction here.
I liked Homecoming! Was a great slow build, and was very well shot.

I'm currently in the midst of both a GoT and Justified re-watches, and am considering delving into Black Sails for the first time after that. I ain't got time for no new shows.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

I'm about 3 episodes into HOMECOMING. Feels like one I will probably finish!
the empire never ended
Nightflyers suuuuuuuucks. Getting to the end of the 2nd episode was like crawling through glass.

I have nothing against a shabby Scyfy channel spaceship show. Christ, I sat through all of season 1 of Helix. But it needs to contain something, anything of intetest to sustain me.

The premise is half assed and convoluted. The cast is like a gaggle of background players and body doubles that unexpectedly had speaking roles thrust upon them. The filmmaking is interminable. Worst of all, it even lacks the "so bad it's good" factor.

So, it apparently takes more than a promo interview endorsement from George R.R. Martin to make a show good.
Nightflyers just has too much shit going on and no real cohesion to any of it.
(12-20-2018, 01:34 PM)wasp Wrote: what, no TV inside the theater projector room you live in?

NEVER!!!

TV is too much of a time suck. 

But I did love COBRA KAI!  Ten nicely contained 30 minute episodes!  And despite being written to be binged, each episode is actually pretty satisfying as its own mini story 

not a fan of these "episodic" series that leans too hard on the expectations of binging
(12-20-2018, 04:51 PM)Nooj Wrote: not a fan of these "episodic" series that leans too hard on the expectations of binging
The "13-hour movie" model has pretty much killed my enthusiasm for nearly every Netflix drama. I'm pretty sure I'm overrating HOMECOMING slightly just because each episode is only 30 minutes.
(12-20-2018, 03:14 PM)wasp Wrote: I'm about 3 episodes into HOMECOMING. Feels like one I will probably finish!

Actually watched the first episode earlier today. I like the mysterious atmosphere but can't say I was particularly captivated.
(12-20-2018, 05:08 PM)Evi Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 03:14 PM)wasp Wrote: I'm about 3 episodes into HOMECOMING. Feels like one I will probably finish!

Actually watched the first episode earlier today. I like the mysterious atmosphere but can't say I was particularly captivated.

I've been drawn in by the technical craft more than anything (Esmail's love of Fincher is once again very apparent).

But, yeah, not sure how much the story is gonna amount to.
the empire never ended
(12-20-2018, 03:46 PM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: I have nothing against a shabby Scyfy channel spaceship show. Christ, I sat through all of season 1 of Helix. But it needs to contain something, anything of intetest to sustain me.

I still really really miss Dark Matter.
Dark Matter's cancellation still hurts. Especially after the bts interviews of the cast being really excited for the next season's storylines. Sad
Git' in under mah belly!
Y'all shoulda watched Detroiters before it was cancelled
(12-20-2018, 04:58 PM)Mangy Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 04:51 PM)Nooj Wrote: not a fan of these "episodic" series that leans too hard on the expectations of binging
The "13-hour movie" model has pretty much killed my enthusiasm for nearly every Netflix drama. I'm pretty sure I'm overrating HOMECOMING slightly just because each episode is only 30 minutes.

Ha! Same here. Aside from Game of Thrones of course, after which every 60-ish minute drama seems to pale in comparison.

That and the fact drama has been scientifically proven to be the less sophisticated cousin of comedy, and I am very sophisticated.

(12-22-2018, 01:41 AM)schwartz Wrote: Y'all shoulda watched Detroiters before it was cancelled

I love Sam Richardson with the fire of a thousand things which are on fire, so I would have if the Universe hadn't foiled me by not screening it out here in my neck of the woods.
(12-20-2018, 07:44 PM)cd underbelly Wrote: Dark Matter's cancellation still hurts. Especially after the bts interviews of the cast being really excited for the next season's storylines.  Sad

Joseph Mallozzi has tweeted about the possibility of the show’s return.  Not getting my hopes up yet, but...

So many new shows that I feel like my brain is overloading. I look at the dozens of options and go "mmm, I think I'll rewatch Hannibal"

(12-22-2018, 01:41 AM)schwartz Wrote: Y'all shoulda watched Detroiters before it was cancelled

That looks great. I've barely heard of this one.
(12-20-2018, 03:51 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Nightflyers just has too much shit going on and no real cohesion to any of it.

It was terrible, but i guess robot surrogate clone incest is par the course for George RR Martin.
CORPORATE is also worth a look
Too bad about Nightflyers. The ads had me thinking maybe it would provide a nice little space horror fix, and the namedropping of GRRM quickly allayed my typical SyFy channel crap concerns. But I will probably skip it now.

Newer dark drama show called Safe Harbour caught my eye on hulu. Any good?
So.....90 Day Fiance and ALL the spinoffs right guys? No?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I've started watching THE INNOCENT MAN on Netflix. It's sort of MAKING A MURDERER-lite based on a non-fiction John Grisham novel. I'm enjoying it and look forward to seeing how the story turns out, even if it does seem like it'll be a couple of episodes too long.
(12-24-2018, 12:43 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Too bad about Nightflyers. The ads had me thinking maybe it would provide a nice little space horror fix, and the namedropping of GRRM quickly allayed my typical SyFy channel crap concerns. But I will probably skip it now.

Newer dark drama show called Safe Harbour caught my eye on hulu. Any good?

The opening scene is Gretchen Mol getting chased by an axe wielding man, sending a distress beacon warning to not board the ship.  Then she slits her throat with a surgical saw.  I didn't heed her warning and watched it all, and it gets much, much weirder from there.
Syfy released the pilot episode of Deadly Class on Youtube ahead of the premiere:

Not sure if it's going to be worth a dedicated thread yet. Benjamin Wadsworth playing half-Nicaraguan Marcus Lopez feels a little white-washy to me (IMDB says he's mixed race, but he sure doesn't look like it. And Benjamin Wadsworth is nearly as white a name as Benedict Cumberbatch).

It also seems real weird that this assassin school that we're told was founded to give the oppressed classes the tools and abilities to rise up and liberate themselves allows both neo-Nazi students and students who are children of government agents (who were themselves students at this top secret assassin school).

It's also weird that after her essentially star-making turn in To All The Boys I've Loved Before, this is Lana Condor's follow up. As a heavily tattooed Yakuza girl. 

But it's got Benedict Wong as the headmaster of the school, and he's great, so I'll probably keep watching.
I got a sneak peek of Valley of the Boom and I'm very impressed so far.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Finished the finale for Escape At Dannemora.

You just despise Arquette at the end of this. Del Torio shows his true colors after the escape. He's just a blundering thug.
Worth watching?