Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MIB International Pre-Release Thread

oh snap!

I won't lie, I liked the hammer gag at the end.
INTERNATIONAL and yet none of the actors are allowed to speak in their native accents.

Anyway: hard pass.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Ehh Netflix will send this disc to me eventually.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I had no idea F Gary Gray was directing this

at the moment, the trailer gives me very little of the chemistry between the leads... but I suppose that could've been said for the marketing for the original movie

I loved the chemistry between Jones and Smith, so I hope the movie allows Thompson and Hemsworth work well together again

but right now, this looks super bland
I think it looks fine! As a big fan of the first MIB (and a bigger-than-most fan of the third), and also as someone who likes the actors here, I'm probably predisposed to enjoy this.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I'm a fan of the third!

Brolin is great!
I really like all of the actors but nooj is right: this looks incredibly bland and safe.

F Gary Gray, though? Maybe he can breathe life into it.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

As the local 'Hemsworth Raving Fan #1', I dig it. Thor and Valkyrie together with Brian Mills? Why not.
I'm into it. You know they HAD to do a meta Thor gag, so the hammer bit is the best possible choice to cap off a trailer. Meta enough to work outside of any context and not really spoiling anything in the film itself.

Unsurprised Judas loves this as Hemsworth has a vaguely Bond feel here.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
So...they basically made MIB by way of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I feel like none of the MIB sequels ever got why that first one was so good.  And yeah I’m biased because i wore the shit out of that VHS when I was a kid.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Wish they'd let Neeson speak in his native accent.

IMDB lists no composer yet

I wonder who they'll get to replace Danny Elfman... because that's just what I'm assuming they'll do
(12-20-2018, 11:58 AM)ska oreo Wrote: So...they basically made MIB by way of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I feel like none of the MIB sequels ever got why that first one was so good.
Exactly, it was all about the song.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(12-20-2018, 12:23 PM)Nooj Wrote: IMDB lists no composer yet

I wonder who they'll get to replace Danny Elfman... because that's just what I'm assuming they'll do

Let's go full RAGNAROK and let Mark Mothersbaugh take it. I'm sad he hasn't gotten more blockbuster gigs.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(12-20-2018, 12:24 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 11:58 AM)ska oreo Wrote: So...they basically made MIB by way of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I feel like none of the MIB sequels ever got why that first one was so good.
Exactly, it was all about the song.

Exactly.  Though Nod your head—I like.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Motherfuck an F. Gary Gray.
Thompson and Hemsworth were fun together in Thor Ragnarok, so I'm not especially concerned about their chemistry.
It seems to be missing aliens and comedy.
I have a fond nostalgia for the first one, but this franchise is far from sacred to me.  Barely remember the sequels.  I like Hemsworth, I like Liam Neesosns, and I like Thompson and Thompson.  Looks fun.
The first one has aged terribly for me, much like Independence Day. It's as if the only saving grace for older Will Smith movies is Will Smith himself!
It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember the first one having a really solid ensemble beyond Smith w/ TLJ, D'Onofrio, Fiorentino, and Torn all being a lot of fun.
There's an underlying blandness to it all, that's always been there. For such a great concept, it seemed under-imagined once you get past Will putting on the suit.
Men in Black was based on the eponymous comic book published by the now-defunct Malibu Comics. They were absorbed by Marvel. So... Men in Black is technically a Marvel movie!
Everyone here keeps talking about Thompson and Hemsworth being together again and I was so fucking confused because Emma and Chris haven't done a movie together before.

(12-20-2018, 02:50 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Everyone here keeps talking about Thompson and Hemsworth being together again and I was so fucking confused because Emma and Chris haven't done a movie together before.

Chris Hemsworth secretly played Hugh Grant in Sense & Sensibility. His earliest performance, and one that showed considerable promise!
I still really like the first Men in Black. It's the 90s answer to Ghostbusters and to be totally honest, I like it almost as much.

Men in Black II was....very disappointing? As good as Smith and Jones' chemistry was in the first one, bringing Jones back so soon was a mistake. And....the first one had a level of weight and realism, (for this type of movie, that is) such as the great foot chase at the beginning that actually is a wonderful action scene, that the sequel lacks COMPLETELY....turning everyone into cartoons and jettisoning anything even resembling believable physics almost totally. Good effects still, though.

I need to rewatch MIB 3 again before I comment on it too much.

But yeah....count me in on this one. Just as long as it's not the MIB equivalent of that last Ghostbusters..
(12-20-2018, 02:15 PM)bradito Wrote: It seems to be missing aliens and comedy.

Yeah there sure aren't an awful lot of aliens for a trailer about an organization that deals with aliens.

I was never a big fan of the first one, to be honest, and this isn't really pushing any buttons for me either.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
the first film is still to be savored for Jones and D'Onofio's performances

ONGH
Great cast, but for me these movies have always been the real life equivalent of that marquee on The Simpsons that read "Now Playing: Movie with Air Conditioning" and this doesn't seem to change that. These movies start, they last about 90 minutes, then you leave the theater kind of squinting your eyes in the sunlight and go get some chicken wings.
I liked the first one, IMHO the rest have been abysmal disasters.

Hemsworth's agent has to be like: "one of these non-Thor roles is going to fucking work at some point, right?"
I like Misfit's style.
HEY!

I STILL SAY

ONGH...

A PET CAT!!! MEANS WUUUUURLDS TO MEEEEEE...
I'm surprised at the amount of people that are lukewarm on the first MIB..
Ever since I stopped paying a ton of attention to news about movies in-the-works, increasingly I find myself coming upon  trailers and not being sure if they're actual films or just sequel goofs.  So this one is real, I guess.

Anyway this is all the Tessa Thompson with a big space gun I need:
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=12206923]