Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bumblebee: A Good Transformers Movie? - Post Release
In a word, yes. Saw this with my family over Christmas and we all really liked it. If you were at all turned off by the Michael Bay films, this is a good refresh. What a difference a new director with affinity for the source material can make.

The film can almost be considered a chick flick with how sweet and heartwarming it is. If there's one nitpick I can make is that after so many hugs, caresses, and looks of affection betwwen Bee and Charlie, that it started to feel a little schmaltzy. But all in all an enjoyable time. It's probably the movie we should've gotten back in '07.

The opening prologue set on Cybertron needs to be an entire movie like right now.
Git' in under mah belly!
(12-26-2018, 05:32 AM)cd underbelly Wrote: The opening prologue set on Cybertron needs to be an entire movie like right now.

It already is two kick ass games:

[Image: ps3_transformers_war_for_cybertron-110214.jpg]
[Image: Transformers%2C_Fall_of_Cybertron_PC_box_art.jpg]
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Smiled when "The Touch" came on.
I'm just a smidge too young for this near decade long Transformers nostalgia pandering we've had.

Dug the games, tho.
Pour more nostalgia all over me! I wanna bathe in it like Elizabeth Bathory!
(12-26-2018, 08:49 AM)ryoken Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 05:32 AM)cd underbelly Wrote: The opening prologue set on Cybertron needs to be an entire movie like right now.

Oh I know. I have and adore the Cybetron games, but I mean specifically an entire film with this movie's designs. As much as I like WFC/FOC, some of the designs didn't fully sit right with me. Mainly Optimus. In Bumblebee he's pretty much perfect.

They have indeed announced an animated Cybetron origin movie, but I seriously doubt it will the prologue stretched to feature lentgh, probably closer to a Dreamworks or Illumination project, meaning nowhere near as detailed.

Is having an ILM animated 90 minute Cybertron movie that costs near a billion dollars to make too much to ask?
Git' in under mah belly!
(12-26-2018, 04:18 PM)cd underbelly Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 08:49 AM)ryoken Wrote:

Oh I know. I have and adore the Cybetron games, but I mean specifically an entire film with this movie's designs. As much as I like WFC/FOC, some of the designs didn't fully sit right with me. Mainly Optimus. In Bumblebee he's pretty much perfect.

They have indeed announced an animated Cybetron origin movie, but I seriously doubt it will the prologue stretched to feature lentgh, probably closer to a Dreamworks or Illumination project, meaning nowhere near as detailed.

Is having an ILM animated 90 minute Cybertron movie that costs near a billion dollars to make too much to ask?

In a post Spider-Verse world, its possible, budget aside.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

(12-26-2018, 09:34 AM)Felix Wrote: Smiled when "The Touch" came on.

Wait, they use 'The Touch' in this?  Between that and seeing classic looking G1 Optimus Prime in a TV spot the other day, I might have to bump this up from a Redbox special to a theatrical viewing.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
(12-26-2018, 06:43 PM)superlaser Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 09:34 AM)Felix Wrote: Smiled when "The Touch" came on.

Wait, they use 'The Touch' in this?  Between that and seeing classic looking G1 Optimus Prime in a TV spot the other day, I might have to bump this up from a Redbox special to a theatrical viewing.

It's worth it to see the Cybertron scenes on the big screen with blaring music and sound. The rest of the movie is pretty good too.
Git' in under mah belly!
Bumblebee is exceptional. My hope is this movie does for Transformers what Batman Begins did for Batman films. Begins wasn’t a huge financial success but the critical success and positive word of mouth lead to enough dollars showing up. The franchise course correction won over fans that’d been beaten down by the likes of Batman and Robin and by the time The Dark Knight was announced a new Batman film was once again an in-demand property.

Bumblebee might not make all the dollars, but it should (hopefully) make enough to earn a sequel and that should (again, hopefully) convince fans that it’s ok to come back out for Transformers films.
"I'm not a smart man" -F. Gump
So long Bay isn't involved in them.
Man, the idea of a War for Cybertron CGI movie is something I cannot let go.
The whole Metroplex sequence in that game makes me grin like a kid everytime I play/remember it.

I mean, how the hell wouldnt a good movie version of this make a great movie for kids and adults and sell a crapton of toys and merchandise?

This is basically the first Transformers movie, with a lot of liposuction, a sex change, and a better soundtrack.  And it's a delight.

Also, between this and Gwanda, Steinfeld is having a solid holiday season.
I’m glad to know this movie turned out alright. There were good indications from the first trailer when you could see decipherable action between the Transformers plus designs that are way less designed.

I’ll have to make the time to see this.

Sam Witwicky (Transformers 2007): I want to get a car so I can get laid.

Charlie Watson (Bumblebee): I want to get a car so I can have a taste of what I used to feel when I worked on an old car with my dead father. Also I'm dealing with the fact that I'm kinda dead inside and no one else in my family seems to care or understand. They're all pretending to be happy and I just can't do it.
(12-27-2018, 01:13 PM)mondguy Wrote: Sam Witwicky (Transformers 2007): I want to get a car so I can get laid.

Charlie Watson (Bumblebee): I want to get a car so I can have a taste of what I used to feel when I worked on an old car with my dead father. Also I'm dealing with the fact that I'm kinda dead inside and no one else in my family seems to care or understand. They're all pretending to be happy and I just can't do it.

Sure but to be fair girls don't need a car to get laid.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Just illustrating that there's jussssttt a bit of a gap in the depth of the two characters. Lindsay Ellis brought it up in one of her videos, but Megan Fox's Mikaela was better written than the lead character.
I dunno, Sam Witwicky still seems like a 100% true representation of a teenage boy to me and his simple-mindedness is a massive part of that.
Yeah, I can see that, but as a lead protagonist? Not much to work with. The sequels (at least the ones I saw) really doubled down on the character and made him somehow less likable than in the first movie.

ETA: This isn't a blanket male-protagonist-bad/female-protagonist-good statement. Sam could've had a backstory and motivation of equal depth, but that obviously isn't Bay's expertise.
I loved this. Really loved it.

But don't hold it against me for not throwing the others under the bus in comparison. I still like them too.

I want a sequel to The Last Knight. I want Unicron damn it! Just get these people to make it..
(12-27-2018, 01:50 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I loved this. Really loved it.

But don't hold it against me for not throwing the others under the bus in comparison. I still like them too.

I want a sequel to The Last Knight. I want Unicron damn it! Just get these people to make it..

I maintain my 'Guilty Pleasure' liking of the 2007 movie.  I just found this to be far better.
(12-27-2018, 01:31 PM)mondguy Wrote: Just illustrating that there's jussssttt a bit of a gap in the depth of the two characters. Lindsay Ellis brought it up in one of her videos, but Megan Fox's Mikaela was better written than the lead character.

That actually is true!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
It is better.

But 1,3,4 and 5 have action and FX and set pieces that I just love. I can't not love movies with such visuals unless they're as hateful as ROTF and show John Turturro's be-thonged ass in IMAX. That movie was a huge middle finger to......well, everyone..
John Turturro's thong scene was literally 'ASS: THE MOVIE'
(12-27-2018, 01:57 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: It is better.

But 1,3,4 and 5 have action and FX and set pieces that I just love. I can't not love movies with such visuals unless they're as hateful as ROTF and show John Turturro's be-thonged ass in IMAX. That movie was a huge middle finger to......well, everyone..

Unlike the racist black autobots, which was offensive to just black people.

Seriously, I believe the Transformers movies are Bay's revenge on the world after Pearl Harbor and The Island got panned and flopped.
The guy has talent and loves making movies, but I dont doubt for a second he has nothing but contempt for his audience.

Jesus, there were FIVE of these?  I remember the first one, and then a sequel with the pyramids and swinging balls, and then enjoying The Last Knight for just being absolutely gonzo crazy town banana pants and not giving a fuck.  Probably saw the others, but don't recall.
(12-27-2018, 02:17 PM)ryoken Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 01:57 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: It is better.

Unlike the racist black autobots, which was offensive to just black people.

Seriously, I believe the Transformers movies are Bay's revenge on the world after Pearl Harbor and The Island got panned and flopped.
The guy has talent and loves making movies, but I dont doubt for a second he has nothing but contempt for his audience.

I kid you not, I had forgotten about those..."characters".  In my defense, my brain may have damaged itself to prevent future trauma.
I liked The Island, Pain & Gain, and 13 Hours.

His Transformers movies though...

Second one is only one I feel real contempt from. When even the action scenes are few and far between and sloppy and not too hot when they do show up. The set pieces in the others feel like too much effort was put into making them better and more unique and coherent for it to be the product of a guy who was in "fuck it, who gives a shit?" mode. Insane? Yes? Unenthusiastic? From 3 on?....I don't think so.

Like I said....I liken these movies to trick or treating at Don Simpson's house and getting cocaine..
Part 3 is my fave from Bay's run. Major course correction after part 2.
Brad gets it..
(12-27-2018, 03:58 PM)bradito Wrote: Part 3 is my fave from Bay's run. Major course correction after part 2.

What about 5 and Monsieur Haute Roude?

5 is enjoyable!

And just bonkers.

And a hell of a lot better than 2!
RotF still has my favorite fight scene, the 3 on 1 forest battle against Optimus. It's even better in the Walmart exclusive bluray that adds the extra IMAX footage into it. Plus the movie has the best moment of all five of the films.

"GIVE ME YOUR FACE!"

I can't dislike it.
Git' in under mah belly!
(12-27-2018, 04:22 PM)ryoken Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 03:58 PM)bradito Wrote: Part 3 is my fave from Bay's run. Major course correction after part 2.

What about 5 and Monsieur Haute Roude?

5 was bo-ring!