Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JASON REITMAN'S GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release Thread
Because this is a thing that's happening!

https://ew.com/movies/2019/01/15/new-gho...n-reitman/

Set in the world of the 1984 film. Sounds like he's "politely dismissing" the 2016 film. And, uh, yeah.
Ignore women?

Uh oh.

Sony learning from their mistakes is like asking an arsonist not to burn down houses. They can't stop themselves.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Wow, I knew THE FRONT RUNNER flopped but I didn't know it flopped this hard.
HAHAHAHAHHAAH

mutually beneficial!
I hope it doesn't politely dismiss my beloved '89 sequel!
They're aiming for a surprisingly quick turnaround. Out by summer 2020.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Into the Ghostbusters-verse: Cross the Streams.
Oh my. This seems likely to end the current ‘we’ll just not talk about it’ online detente regarding the 2016 one. It was nice while it lasted.

Here’s my guess. They’re taking a Jurassic World approach, where Ghostbusting is now a global franchise. Reitman will probably be hiring friends, people he’s worked with before to fill out the team. He’s done fairly well with female characters over his career, on the whole, so maybe he’s calling in favors to the likes of Charlize Theron and Anna Kendrick, to get some prominent female stars in the mix. Plus some of his comedy friends, Patton Oswald, Kumail Nanjiani, etc. I would hope Diablo Cody is already involved. There’s a way to do this where no one gets mad.

But no way to do it where it’s good.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
If this turns out that Bill Murray agreed to do it because the reboot was so awful, I'm definitely going to see this now.

Also, when the audience sees "Ghostbusters 3" poster they'll wonder when the second one came out. LOL
Ugh. Let it die.
One of THR's reporters says the leads are four teenagers. Interest waning.
Ageist!
Do not want!
This sounds like The Force Awakens of the Ghostbusters.
I'm usually an easy mark for "kids/teens investigate the paranormal" stories, but that's just not an angle I think suits GHOSTBUSTERS. So much of the appeal of the first two movies is in the "blue collar scientists" sort of flavor.
"It's going to be like Stranger Things but with GHOSTBUSTERS!"

This was most likely the pitch that got Sony to sign off on another flop.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(01-15-2019, 11:22 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I'm usually an easy mark for "kids/teens investigate the paranormal" stories, but that's just not an angle I think suits GHOSTBUSTERS.  So much of the appeal of the first two movies is in the "blue collar scientists" sort of flavor.

It could if the teenagers are... the children. 

The children adopting and furthering their parents' business. 

That said, teen seems too young.
As father and son projects go, I preferred Clint and Scott in Gran Torino. Bonne chance, mon ami!

I’d rather Reitman do a Dave sequel!

Teenage protagonists would feel grossly outdated since the YA market has kind of collapsed in film. The only way to go is to bring in at least two or three of the original characters.

The 2016 movie didn’t do it for me. It’s a rambling, forgettable effort that’s so middling I can’t believe the Trump-voting mouth-breathers weere attacking it so much. It doesn’t know whether to be a remake or ignore the IP. McKinnon gets the only role that isn’t a stock character.

The second one isn’t great at all and is handicapped from the moment they decide to reset the clock on the Ghostbusters, but at least there’s memorable iconography and characters that show up.

If history keeps obsessing over trying to make the perfect followup, the cartoon is going to be the best thing that came from the first film.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
(01-15-2019, 11:21 PM)carnotaur3 Wrote: This sounds like The Force Awakens of the Ghostbusters.

Young heroes meet a aged, bored-looking Venkman.

"It's true. The ghosts. The slime. That man with no dick. All of it. It's all true."
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
It’s dead, Jim.

(01-15-2019, 11:21 PM)carnotaur3 Wrote: This sounds like The Force Awakens of the Ghostbusters.

Yep. Bill Murray will get paid $30m to show up to set and play himself, just like Harrison Ford in TFA.
Ouch. I thought Ford did great as Solo in the movie, albeit, someone whose rounded off his aggression a bit with his age.

That said, I do kind of have little faith that Murray could muster even a bit of that energy.
Odds on Ramis getting the Peter Cushing treatment as a ghost?
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Picture and plaque on a wall. Ain't gonna happen. Plus, Sony ain't gonna give them a budget for that. Guaranteed.
(01-15-2019, 10:15 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: They're aiming for a surprisingly quick turnaround. Out by summer 2020.

Which is more time than Ivan Reitman had on the original. Pitched it to Columbia in June '83 (No script, strictly an outline and some drawings) and it was reportedly greenlit on the spot under the condition it be in theaters for June '84. Sometimes that can be a blessing. No time to overthink and instead just make the movie.

Even with the last several years of iffy output, Jason Reitman is too good to be reduced to pulling a Max Landis, a la retreading the territory of your dad's iconic film. Is this an upgrade from the ill-conceived '16 redo? Can't even say yes. The conversation from both sides was so Goddamn toxic, I just wanted all of them to fuck off and die.

The real ending to Big...
Did Landis do that? What film am I not remembering?
(01-15-2019, 09:23 PM)catartik Wrote: Ignore women?

Uh oh.

It's always gotta be that. It's not simply hating a shitty, unfunny movie....noooo, it's being an enemy to women and equality. This that bullshit from those truly annoying, nutty, PC idiots who are more in love with the praise they get from strangers online and their own arrogant opinion than the agenda that they act like they're ohhh so passionate about. Not talking about you catartik....I know this post was in jest. Just referring to the floodgates that this gonna open back up..
(01-16-2019, 03:49 AM)freeman Wrote: Did Landis do that?  What film am I not remembering?

He's supposedly remaking AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON. Or rebooting.

As for this, I like Reitman's movies that I've seen, so I'm hoping this turns out well. Maybe he really did have the magic idea they've been searching for all these years. I realize how naive that sounds. If we do get something as entertaining as FORCE AWAKENS, bring it on.

Uh, I went to wikipedia to see if William Atherton is still alive and found this:

Quote:On The David Susskind Show in 1983, Atherton discussed being a "former homosexual" and how the Aesthetic Realism philosophy of Eli Siegel turned him into a heterosexual.

What.
Ugh, so dickless.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Yeah, since '83, apparently.
I still say have the original Ghostbusters be dead and it's their ghosts in the film.
Just this guy, you know?

The real ending to Big...
Looks like an ambulance, without wings!

Insert botched BTTF video embed here.
(01-16-2019, 12:32 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote:

That's kind of fun.  I like that they used the Elmer Bernstein score, and I also like that it's shot to look like a horror movie; it that's indicative of the visual tone they're aiming for, that's encouraging.

One of my biggest problems with ANSWER THE CALL is that it looks just like any other 2010's nondescript studio comedy on a visual level.  No mood, no texture, no grit, all of which the original GHOSTBUSTERS has... because it was shot to look like a film, not a comedy.