Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JASON REITMAN'S GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release Thread
Answer the Call does have that killer wonton running gag. It was a bold decision to have that be the through line of the film.
And don't forget the queef. It's what that franchise was missing.
It also has Dumbass Thor wedged in it for good measure.
I think what I like the most about Ghostbusters 2016 is how it so deeply upsetting it is to some people, even two and a half years after the fact.
I still can't believe this is happening. This franchise was dead in the water and rightfully so.

The remake lost a fair amount of money as I recall.
The teaser was cool, but I'm not sold on it yet. If the first one isn't a classic, its at least a fun flick. I watched part 2 on HBO once...once. The 16 one was meh. Maybe that first one was lighting in a bottle. Personally I think the world needs a Beetlejuice sequel more than a Ghostbusters one.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
(01-17-2019, 02:50 AM)chaz Wrote: Personally I think the world needs a Beetlejuice sequel more than a Ghostbusters one.

Do we, though? Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian sounded pretty abysmal.
But think of the tiki kitsch!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(01-17-2019, 02:45 AM)mike j Wrote: I still can't believe this is happening. This franchise was dead in the water and rightfully so.

The remake lost a fair amount of money as I recall.
Never underestimate corporate America's ability to throw good money after bad.
I'm all for them throwing good money at Jason Reitman. Guy is a fantastic director and nobody's thrown money at him in the over a decade he's been working. I want to see what he does with a budget.

Kind of surprised Diablo Cody isn't writing this with him, instead it's the director of Monster House.
(01-16-2019, 04:30 PM)bradito Wrote: Is the video game canon??

I do not know.

Lot of fun though, arguably better than GB2.

(01-16-2019, 04:42 PM)engineer Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 04:19 PM)bradito Wrote: I keep wishing that they'd go back to Dan Ackroyd's original pitch for this, with interdimensional travel and flying cars and junk.

Or his script for GHOSTBUSTERS: HELLBENT, which involved a shadow realm of a Manhattan in Hell, presided over by "A very Trump-like villain from a tower overlooking Central Park."  

(01-16-2019, 04:27 PM)jhp1608 Wrote: Sounds like the videogame - which was far better than it had any right to be and quite an effective sequel in its own right - might have had a chunk of those ideas.

(01-16-2019, 04:30 PM)bradito Wrote: Is the video game canon??

I kind of hope so.  I really enjoyed that videogame.  Non-speaking Rookie role, not withstanding.

I rather think it worked well with you taking on the role of the rookie - it would have been weird playing as such specific people and characters, and it gave the vibe of hanging out with the team. 

My wife liked GB2016. She volunteers having little discernment when it comes to art though, and offered acknowledgement that there was an element of "sisters together" about her enjoyment of it. I thought it was very disappointing on its own merits, given the talent involved.

This teaser has a intetesting tone but that's about all, right? Which is fine. I'm not 100% sold on the idea of kids taking over - why not some hard up blue collar adults looking for some escapism, stumbling across the kit, and they get in over their heads? Why does it have to be kids?

Then again, I just realised I described the set up of that Mark Wahlberg Transformers film.
It's too bad they didn't move on Ghostbusters 3 sooner after the video game. I remember seeing Bill Murray on an episode of Letterman where he talked about having so much fun doing the game that it was the only reason he was thinking about doing a third movie. But then time went on and it seemed to stall again.
Didn't the teardown of Raiders kinda already start with the whole "Indy is irrelevant" argument?
Just this guy, you know?
No. That's a true observation that lends an irony to the struggle in the movie. We'll be gone too far when people start trying to argue that Raiders was never that great in the first place..
I can't manage real outrage, but I do think it's bullshit that they just dropped the recent reboot in favor of this. Different director, better writer, and I would've been up for more of the new Ghostbusters.

I wish they'd just let this series rest.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I know Paul Schrader and Pauline Kael outright disliked RAIDERS upon release.  Kael went on to give TEMPLE a rave review, however, which is fabulous.
There's always gonna be some people..
I mean, its my favorite movie. Full stop.  I love and appreciate Kael and Schrader, being played by Altman and writing/directing Light of Day aside, respectively, and they're entitled to their opinions, wrong as they can occasionally be.

I like what Fraid has to say - you know what you like and what you don't.  There's no need to let some outside influence convince you that you're wrong.  And if you do, your loss.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

IMO, the only thing about the original Ghostbusters that hasnt aged well is Pullman's Venkman sexual attitude*.

*The ESP scene is bit uncomfortable now, isnt it?
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Nope. Not in the slightest.

Watched it yesterday - still funny.
Really? We're going to start acting like Peter fucking Venkman is now some sort of Kevin Spacey?
We're all puritans now Freeman.

Sex isn't a laughing matter.
(01-17-2019, 11:16 AM)Stale Elvis Wrote: Nope. Not in the slightest.

Watched it yesterday - still funny.

Never said it isnt funny.
But he is a teacher manipulating an experiment so he can seduce a young  female student, isnt he?
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

And it's hilarious!
And it's skeevy!
Eh, its just a fucking movie.
Im just saying, that scene in real life wouldnt be as funny, specially if that student were your daughter, relative or friend, wouldt it?

... You're just now realizing that Venkman is an asshole? That's like... The joke. That's Bill Murrays entire comedic career. Everyman asshole.

Of COURSE you don't want Venkman dating your sister!!!
Well in real life 99% of the movies we watch wouldn't be fun.

But we kind of make a bargain with the filmmakers when we go in that we know what we're watching isn't real.

Wouldn't it be cool to be Luke Skywalker??!! No because in real life flying an X-Wing and getting shot at by the Death Star so you could die in the cold suffocating emptiness of space wouldn't be that fun in real life. Real life has consequences. In the movies, our heroes don't - thats why we love watching them get away with the fun shit we can't.
Bradley Cooper in the Hangover would be a TERRIBLE friend to have, he's a douchebag.

But the movie is incredibly fun and so is he.
(01-17-2019, 11:52 AM)The Freeman Wrote: ... You're just now realizing that Venkman is an asshole?  That's like...  The joke.  That's Bill Murrays entire comedic career.  Everyman asshole.

Of COURSE you don't want Venkman dating your sister!!!

Well, duh.
All I said is that with two decades of social and gender relations changes, the ESP scene is a bit weird/uncomfortable, even if its still funny and is there to show Venkman is an sleazy asshole and womanizer.

Nah fuck that. Social and gender changes don't get to dictate whats inherently funny. I still watch Roger Moore Bond movies and enjoy the hell out of them - and he's a 1000% more sleazy than Venkman and it's still fun to watch.
I guess what I'm saying is that for me it's always been weird and uncomfortable how Venkman relentlessly hits on women, that's the gag.

The value hasn't changed because for me what Venkman was doing has never been "OK." It's always been funny tho.

It doesn't hurt that Roger Moore was apparently an absolute sweet heart. Connery Bond? Now there's a guy who meant his sexism who's sometimes not so fun to revisit.
Perception changes along with society/culture/time, and art/media is a product of its time.
The scene is funny because its uncomfortable and weird, and the male student being there and ignored/fucked up with by Venkman is precisely there in order to set up the tone and joke of the scene.
I mean, Wiig's character having a fixation with Hemsworth's character is just as weird and uncomfortable (and funny) in the remake, IMO.

That's where I have to disagree. The remake is a garbage fire of anti comedy. Hemsworths character is such an utter cartoon that's so completely detached from any sort of reality that Wiig's infatuation of him comes off as sort of creepy.
(01-17-2019, 12:01 PM)The Freeman Wrote:
It doesn't hurt that Roger Moore was apparently an absolute sweet heart.  Connery Bond?  Now there's a guy who meant his sexism who's sometimes not so fun to revisit.

Yeah, but thats placing the performer's persona on the character's, isnt it?
I think the fact that the movie itself sets up Venkman as a womanizer sleazeball makes the scene ok; it doesnt glorify him or his actions, and he isnt set up to be some fucking role model.

(01-17-2019, 12:10 PM)The Freeman Wrote: That's where I have to disagree. The remake is a garbage fire of anti comedy. Hemsworths character is such an utter cartoon that's so completely detached from any sort of reality that Wiig's infatuation of him comes off as sort of creepy.

I think its a completely mediocre misfire, but has a couple of moments that merit laughs.
I think its far more a travesty that the movie completely misuses having such great and talented actresses with a bad script/movie than whatever got a stick up the internet's butt.*

*Aside from the fucking despicable harassment and trolling assholes unleashed on the cast, crew and defenders of the movie; its just a fucking movie, dont like it, dont watch it. The original is still there.