Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JASON REITMAN'S GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release Thread
(04-11-2021, 09:35 AM)MichaelM Wrote: The 80s didn't really end until 92 or so. Once Nirvana barnstormed MTV and the radio, then the 80s was over.

I'd argue that. cinematically, the '80s ended with Jurassic Park.
Just this guy, you know?
I'd say Aladdin in 1992 kicked off the '90s in the world of animation, but otherwise that's pretty valid. Point to T2 as the last hurrah for The '80s (with one eye looking forward,) and JP taking over after a brief interregnum.
I knew you would take the coward's way out!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I always saw T2 was the real start of the 1990s at the movies. It doesn't look like an '80s film in any meaningful way.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
T2 still had a very 80s LA feel. The GNR association fits like a leather glove. I always think of Reservoir Dogs as the first 90s film.
I always think of TANGO & CASH as the last film of the 80's and INTERNAL AFFAIRS, LEATHERFACE: TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE III and SKI PATROL as the first films of the 90's.
The '80s ended?

News to me.
(04-08-2021, 07:29 AM)MichaelM Wrote: I cannot muster any enthusiasm about this movie. GB2 left such a bad taste in my mouth that I haven't watched in probably 30 years. I'm never watching the 2016 version again - it's criminal how that film just wastes a great cast with thoroughly mediocre and exhausted tropes and prat falls.

Sometimes, dead is better.

Hey, MM just wrote the perfect tagline for the new Ghostbusters movie!
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

I always think of The Last of the Finest as the first movie of the 90s since it was the first film we were all able to get together to watch in March of that year...and it was a damn good one. Only Fahey and Pantoliano left, dammit.

*Batteries Not Included is fuckin' great.

The '80s more ended in like '88. Earlier '90s fashion, Nirvana, NWA, that Eurodance pop music that was big into the mid-'90s; those '90s patterns that look like the front of a trapper keeper, the intro to Saved by the Bell, or a Sonic the Hedgehog stage...that stuff all started at the tail end of the '80s.
It's 2021 and I still haven't ended. Menatally I'm still only 15 hundred years old.
Git' in under mah belly!
(04-11-2021, 03:52 PM)cd underbelly Wrote: It's 2021 and I still haven't ended. Menatally I'm still only 15 hundred years old.

This is good. If you had ended and were still posting here that would cause for alarm.
Perhaps I will end soon and be born anew to still post. We shall see.
Git' in under mah belly!
(04-11-2021, 12:32 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I always saw T2 was the real start of the 1990s at the movies. It doesn't look like an '80s film in any meaningful way.
(04-11-2021, 01:04 PM)Bucho Wrote: T2 still had a very 80s LA feel. The GNR association fits like a leather glove. I always think of Reservoir Dogs as the first 90s film.
What Bucho said. It's basically the turning point from '80s to '90s action cinema, and as such it has strong ties to both.
Commo has great taste in opinions on when 80s cinema ended and 90s cinema began. I've always said that.