Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nintendo and Xbox are teaming up! Could Master Chief visit the Mushroom Kingdom?
Microsoft and Nintendo have been playing nice with each other, offering cross-play between games, and now Xbox Live is coming to the Nintendo Switch.

https://www.businessinsider.com/microsof...box-live-4

The head of Xbox said he wants Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros. The Switch version of Minecraft is Microsoft's best-selling game. Could other Microsoft franchises make the "Switch" to Nintendo in the future?
This won’t be enough.

Sony took over this generation because their in house AAA developers are just hands down better than what Microsoft has. Nintendo hasn’t inovated since N64.

Unless Sony totally bungles the PS5 I don’t see how this relationship will make a dent.

(02-08-2019, 05:14 PM)catartik Wrote: Nintendo hasn’t inovated since N64.

What's your definition of innovation? From where I'm standing, they've done nothing but innovate with every console and handheld generation. The Switch is the apotheosis of all that.

(02-08-2019, 05:14 PM)catartik Wrote: Unless Sony totally bungles the PS5 I don’t see how this relationship will make a dent.

It depends on how far they take it. Imagine if Nintendo and Microsoft announced a joint gaming ecosystem with the "dock" being the bleeding edge graphics successor to the Xbox One X and the handheld portion being the next evolution of the Switch. Each could be bought and enjoyed separately, but they'd be designed to work together synergistically and share the same game library.

(02-08-2019, 05:14 PM)catartik Wrote: This won’t be enough.

Sony took over this generation because their in house AAA developers are just hands down better than what Microsoft has. Nintendo hasn’t inovated since N64.

Unless Sony totally bungles the PS5 I don’t see how this relationship will make a dent.

wut.

Also, you do realize that the Switch was like the fast-selling console of last year, right?
https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2018/12/18...-xbox-one/

Quote:Nintendo today revealed the Switch has now sold over 8.7 million units at the 21-month mark in the US, more than both the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One did when they were the same “age.” Given how little we know about the sales of at least one of the consoles past that mark, this might be the last time we get to compare the three reliably.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Nintendo innovates all the time. Even on the Wii U, which nobody played, Nintendo developed all time greats. Oh and they just happened to create arguably the greatest open world game with Breath of the Wild.
Gimmicks are not innovations.

The N64 had the camera buttons that let the player control the camera in a 3D environment. Sony and Microsoft adopted that for their future consoles and it remains to this day.

Nintendo is getting out of the hardware business. You’ll see.

Of the big three, I see Nintendo staying in the console biz the longest. Microsoft offers Xbox games on Windows 10, they're launching Xbox Live on the Switch and they're building their own game streaming service. Sony has the PlayStation Now streaming service that allows you to play games on PC. Perhaps a console generation or two from now we'll be able to download the PlayStation and Xbox apps to play all their exclusives on the Nintendo Infinity.
The Nintendo Labo stuff isn’t really gimmicky. I was thrilled when my kids spent all weekend building stuff. Then playing with it!
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(02-10-2019, 09:51 AM)catartik Wrote: Gimmicks are not innovations.

The N64 had the camera buttons that let the player control the camera in a 3D environment. Sony and Microsoft adopted that for their future consoles and it remains to this day.

Nintendo is getting out of the hardware business. You’ll see.

The gamepad on the Wii U was a bit gimmicky but there were some developers that used that second screen brilliantly.   Mario Maker, Wonderful 101, and Zombie U come to mind.   But more than that, Nintendo just kicks out stone cold classic games at an alarmingly consistent rate.   Again with the Wii U, just about every Nintendo created game is amazing to play and kicks the pants out of anything Sony and Microsoft bring to the table as far as game design.

I don't think Nintendo will ever get out of exclusive hardware.   Their in house development team is the best in the business and players will buy a system by Nintendo knowing they'll get one Mario, one Zelda, on Mario Kart, and one Smash Bros. in that generation.   That is incredible when you think about it.
Head of Global Gaming Partnerships and Development at Xbox and Microsoft, Sarah Bond:

"Of the eight billion people on the planet, four billion of them are digitally connected and two billion of them are gamers. By 2030, the eight will become nine, the four will become five, but the big number is of the two billion – that will become four billion. Nearly half of the world’s population will be playing games.

We envision a world where you can play any game, with anyone, on any device. A world where gaming connects each and every one of those four billion players. No matter device, location, appearance or physical ability. Doing our part and unlocking that future – that is our passion. It drives us every single day."

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/02/12/...-dice-2019