Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL 2019-2020 Season
Arrest warrant out for OBJ for smacking a cop's ass after the national championship game hahahah! https://twitter.com/wannabjoyful/status/...5886123008
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Cop was asking for it
The cop was threatening to arrest players for smoking cigars after winning the national championship, I absolutely agree.

Personally I think OBJ should take it to court. No New Orleans jury would convict him.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Started watching the Aaron Hernandez doc on Netflix. Crazy fucking stuff. I had no idea he just hauled off and shot some guy in the face, and the GUY SURVIVED.
Incredible Mahomes run.
Even Reid couldn't fuck this team up. I was worried for a sec when KC had 2 time outs and a play ended with 43 sec & they didn't call won. Mahomes bailed him out

Fuck the Packers forever
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
Jesus, what a mess. Seattle would have at the least made this a game, Green Bay should have just stayed in the Land O' Cheese.
Yeah, the 49ers are wiping the field with the Packers.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Packers should look into methods to stop the run. That would be my advice to them.
Seems like something they need to do... Mostertgently.
San Francisco's ability to run the ball and the Chiefs propensity to not stop the run would make me think the 49ers have an advantage going into the Superbowl. On the other hand, Mahomes and KC can score at will, so who knows. Should be a good game.
Chiefs 1 point fav going in over/under 52.5

I thought the Chiefs might get a couple more points but I guess after SF smashed GB that wasn't goingto happen. I'll take the over though
I feel like there were several teams sitting at home watching both games Sunday going, "Shit, our team could have done better than that."

I was hoping for a KC/GB Super Bowl for the pure nostalgia of it being the 100th season of the NFL and that would be a repeat of Super Bowl I, but hey, anyone but the Patriots amirite? The Chiefs focused and kept Henry to 69 (nice) yards and Garrapolo threw the ball less times than I threw stuff in the trash yesterday because of their running game. I think it should be a fun game, plus you've got Andy "Been there but never won it" Reid and Kyle "28-3" Shanahan, and someone's gotta win this thing, right?
The thing that worries me as a Niners fan is nowadays in the NFL, like in college football, even if you contain a great offense for a half, or even longer, they can still seemingly break loose and start scoring at will at any point. I have no doubt Shanahan will have to rely on Garappolo a lot more than he did this week. Niners have been able to get pressure with their front four, and that has to continue, without letting Mahomes break free and run on them. It's going to be tough.
On the other hand, it's Andy Reid! I'm seriously contemplating a Vegas trip just for the opportunity to bet against Reid.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Just to make my point... Andy Reid might be the only opposing coach to ever confuse Bill Belichick:

"Reid didn't bathe himself in glory in his first Super Bowl, when his Eagles walked back to their huddle and showed preseason urgency while trailing New England by 10, compelling Belichick to ask his assistants if the scoreboard was indeed correct."
Eli announces his retirement just months after the NFL announced it was retiring him.

He'll probably be a Hall of Famer. If you're a stat accumulator and you've won two rings, that's just sort of how that works.  Smart to get on the ballot before his peers who were better than him.
I agree that he'll end up in Canton. But I hear the stat that the only times he made the playoffs in his career were the 2 years he won a SB and in one those years it was as a wildcard team and I gotta shake my head. I mean he was about as far away from a dominant starting QB as there is.
Wow, once Eli is enshrined in the Hall of Fame he'll probably be able to get twice as much for any of his fake game-used helmets.
(01-22-2020, 07:19 PM)history buff Wrote: I agree that he'll end up in Canton. But I hear the stat that the only times he made the playoffs in his career were the 2 years he won a SB

Not exactly. The only times he won playoff games were the years they won the Super Bowl. But he made the playoffs six times. Not a lot considering his long career, but not twice, either. His playoff record is 8-4.  Gotta say 8-4 with all the wins in two years is preferable to 8-4 spread out over 6 and never winning a title.
(01-22-2020, 07:19 PM)history buff Wrote: I agree that he'll end up in Canton. But I hear the stat that the only times he made the playoffs in his career were the 2 years he won a SB and in one those years it was as a wildcard team and I gotta shake my head. I mean he was about as far away from a dominant starting QB as there is.

He made the playoffs 5 or 6 times, which when you think about the length of his career, is pretty pathetic. But his only playoff wins came during those SB runs. And his career W/L record is at .500; the argument cannot be "all he does is win!" because on that measure he was overall pretty mediocre. He piled up stats, but how many times would you have included him as being among the top 5 QBs in the game? One or two seasons, maybe? 0 MVPs, 0 All Pro selections, just a solid compiler overall. 

What a fucking disgrace.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
(01-22-2020, 08:28 PM)chavez Wrote:  He piled up stats, but how many times would you have included him as being among the top 5 QBs in the game?

The only thing I will say to that is, the way the NFL is now, at any given time there are at least 5 undeniably Hall of Fame quarterbacks playing. So Eli not ever being top 5 doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't belong in Canton. Without the two Super Bowls he's obviously not... but he's got them. And he was the MVP of both.  He's a real borderline case in a way Brady, Peyton, Brees, Roethlisberger, and Rodgers aren't, but that doesn't mean he doesn't belong. (To be clear, I don't care either way. They could flip a coin for all it matters to me.)
I mean, anyone who watched them play would never pick Eli in the top 5 any year.

The Giants won their Super Bowls with a combination of stellar defense and good to phenomenal luck. Eli was... okay. If the Patriots aren't held to low point totals in both games, NY has no chance. If the 49ers don't run into each other and drop surefire INTs ---twice--- on terrible decisions and even worse throws, they don't make a 2nd SB and his legacy is as the 2nd-best Manning.

But I stopped worrying about silly HoF voting years ago, so give him his bust... just make sure it's MANNING FACE!
(01-22-2020, 08:44 PM)bailey Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 08:28 PM)chavez Wrote:  He piled up stats, but how many times would you have included him as being among the top 5 QBs in the game?

The only thing I will say to that is, the way the NFL is now, at any given time there are at least 5 undeniably Hall of Fame quarterbacks playing. So Eli not ever being top 5 doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't belong in Canton. Without the two Super Bowls he's obviously not... but he's got them. And he was the MVP of both.  He's a real borderline case in a way Brady, Peyton, Brees, Roethlisberger, and Rodgers aren't, but that doesn't mean he doesn't belong. (To be clear, I don't care either way. They could flip a coin for all it matters to me.)

For most positions, I'd say top 3 for a 5 yr stretch, with exceptions made for people who were clearly great but career ended or was altered due to injury (Terrell Davis) or someone who had a weird career but definitely was among the best for multiple season (the only one who fits that I can think of is Kurt Warner). Since we're sort of at "peak QB" I expanded it to 5, and I think that fits - over Mannings careers, you'd expect there to be significant overlap with 5-10 HoF worthy QBs, and that is about right - Manning the Greater, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, Wilson, and arguable guys like Rivers (who I think on a year-by-year basis, most people would've taken over Manning, even though I get why some view him as borderline HoF), Ryan, Newton, Romo, and Manning the Lesser.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
(01-22-2020, 08:54 PM)farsight Wrote: The Giants won their Super Bowls with a combination of stellar defense and good to phenomenal luck. Eli was... okay.

8 games, over 2,000 yards, 63% completion percentage, 15-2 TD/INT ratio. Game winning drives in both Super Bowls.  That's better than okay.  Everybody knows about Eli's deficiencies. There's no need underplay the times he made his mark.  That's what makes his career so interesting.  Is a guy like Matt Ryan or even Phil Rivers better?  Sure.  Would I rather have Eli's career?  Absolutely... (minus the probable brain damage.)
The Giants scored 17 and 21 points in their 2 SBs. In fact, they only scored more than 24 -once- in the 2 playoff runs (8 games).

Manning had the worst playoff performance in a win I've ever seen against the 49ers in the 2nd championship game.

People like to rewrite history so that Eli led those teams to SB wins, but that's like saying that Jim McMahon led the 85 Bears to the SB. Each QB did his job, and made enough plays to earn their rings. But each team was led by their defense.

The Giants D held NE 23 and 15 points under their averages. They're the story of those SB runs.
(01-22-2020, 11:05 PM)farsight Wrote: People like to rewrite history so that Eli led those teams to SB wins, but that's like saying that Jim McMahon led the 85 Bears to the SB. Each QB did his job, and made enough plays to earn their rings. But each team was led by their defense.
Let's not shit on Jim McMahon.
(01-22-2020, 11:09 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: Let's not shit on Jim McMahon.

Shit on him? I'm comparing him to Future Hall of Famer Eli Manning!
I wasn't rewriting history. I didn't suggest they rode Eli's back to two Super Bowls. But he did play well, particularly in some tough conditions like that one game in Lambeau. And he did lead two Super Bowl winning drives. Again, I'm not making a case for him to be better than he was. I'm saying that I understand why he could go into the Hall of Fame despite not being a member of the top tier.
Interesting stat: The team with the better QB has LOST the last 9 Super Bowls.

Overall, the team with the better QB is 20-33 in the Super Bowl.
Could mean those teams are usually pass-reliant and that's always a riskier proposition than a solid run game?
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
"Mad Dog" Chris Russo made a valid point when asked about Eli Manning's HofF status. He said that his entire career can be summed up in 5 games: 2 Superbowl wins over NE, 2 playoff wins in Green Bay, and a win against the 49ers in San Francisco in the NFC title game. That's it, the rest of his career is almost forgettable. In his mind, that doesn't make him a Hall of Famer. But he agrees with most that he will get in.
Two rings is a hard argument to overlook.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Manning's stat compiling + the rings + the past precedent of some of the guys who are in whose stats/record aren't as good (like Namath) + the fact that he was a NY QB (like Namath) + the fact of his family name... all of that is why he will get in. You can argue he shouldn't, and that's fine. But we all know he will.
(01-30-2020, 03:23 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Could mean those teams are usually pass-reliant and that's always a riskier proposition than a solid run game?

Possibly... Also, since the salary cap came in, the team with the better QB is usually spending a lot more on their QB.

In this game, the 49ers probably have the edge in the running game, pass D and rushing D, as well as in coaching (if I were a KC fan, I'd be terrified of Reid in a close game). Most people betting on KC are betting on Mahomes, not the other 21 positions.

I remember as a kid, watching Dan Marino tear up the league and figuring the 49ers had no shot against his arm. I never made that mistake again.

(01-30-2020, 03:30 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Two rings is a hard argument to overlook.

Jim Plunkett, Hall of Famer?