Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 MLB thread
With Cole getting to face my terrible Orioles 6-8 times next year, maybe he has a shot at 400 strikeouts.
(12-11-2019, 03:21 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: So how long till the Yankees regret that contract?

If they get 6 good years out of it they won't.  That remains to be seen, however. Cole is 29 and has had three elite years in his career.  I am so wary of the whole "best pitcher in baseball" tag since it seems to change every 2-3 years. That said it's the Yankees, so they probably won't notice either way.
Not a 2019 story, but I wasn't really sure where else to put this.

Here's former closer Bobby Jenks talking about the botched operation that ended his career.  I was already aware of some of the problems, but Jenks tells all the details - warts and all - for the first time here:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/...QXO0yyLKKM

Quote:I have no idea what’s happened, or what the fluid running down my back is, but I just feel all wet and gross back there. So I call my wife over and she unwraps the bandages and … just kind of gasps.

“Bobby … oh my God. You gotta see this.”

She snapped some pictures with her phone and then showed me that the bottom of my incision, about three-fourths of an inch of it, had burst open. That’s where the fluid was coming from. And it was just flowing out, too. It was constant — almost like a faucet that had been opened just a tiny, little bit. When we were able to get a look, we saw that it wasn’t blood. It was this weird clear liquid.

Neither of us knew what to do at that point. We couldn’t get ahold of the doctor who’d performed the surgery, so we just kept bandaging me up. But we needed to change the dressing on my incision a bunch of times because it just wouldn’t stop leaking fluid. I had to wake up three or four times that night to switch out the gauze, and the next morning I decided I needed to get looked at by a doctor.

I drove over to one of those little medical clinics they have everywhere now, and as soon as the doctor in that place saw me, he took immediate action. It was like, “I’m calling the hospital right now. Go home and pack some things, and then I need you to get to the emergency room….

“Mr. Jenks … you’re leaking spinal fluid.”

When I got back to the house, it was like a wave hit me. All of a sudden, my head felt like it was split wide open. Like someone had put a coconut in a vice and cracked it.

It felt like my head was going to blow up and separate from my body.
(12-11-2019, 03:21 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: So how long till the Yankees regret that contract?

These massive contracts and the players they sign never live up to what they paid. It's even worse for pitchers because no way he'll be as dominate in 5 years as he is now.
7/245 for Rendon. Looking at that I know Kris Bryant will want at least 50 mil more. It’s not my money but I still wouldn’t do it. Bryant s really good but he’s never been the consistent monster he should have been by now. Defiantly see a trade happening for him even if you don’t get enough equal value for him.
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
So the Astros got a $5 million fine, lost their first and second round picks in the '20 and '21 drafts and A.J. Hinch and their general manager were suspended for a season. Then they just went ahead and fired Hinch and the GM.

They keep the '17 World Series though.
Looks like Cora might be fired from the Red Sox for his role as well. Carlos Beltran was also mentioned in the report, but I guess managing the Mets is punishment enough.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
They should have stripped them of the title. Short of that this means nothing. And the suspensions for these guys shouldn't start till they land another job
I don't see how you take away an entire World Series title. Pretty sure there's no precedent for this, so MLB has nothing that they can look to. Just put an * next to the Houston Astros 2017, the manager and GM are both tainted wherever they go and everyone will now look at the Astros as a cheating organization.
(01-13-2020, 05:56 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: They should have stripped them of the title.  Short of that this means nothing.  And the suspensions for these guys shouldn't start till they land another job

Who would hire someone that would immediately be suspended for a year? You might as well just ban them for life.  Essentially what they did cost them their current jobs, and they'll probably never get any that high level for a long while, if ever... that's enough.
Cora out as Red Sox manager:

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/01/14/a...x-manager/

This is going to end up being the Black Sox Scandal for our generation.
It's going to be very difficult for MLB to explain how this is such a big deal that the coaches got 1-year suspensions, but not a big enough deal to taint Houston's title.

I wonder if anyone will hire Hinch... his response to this behavior was to sabotage the monitors his players were using... that's some pathetically weak leadership. He's the manager and he can't make his players stop cheating or get the monitors removed?

I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team.
Gamertag: Tweakee
---

Adding on, I just saw this:

"The Astros were 8-1 at home during the 2017 playoffs and scored over 5.5 runs a game. They were 3-6 on the road during those same playoffs, scoring 3 runs a game."

They were also the only team to significantly improve their power AND greatly reduce their strikeout rate from the previous season.

I'll be interested in seeing if anyone tries to defend the legitimacy of that title down the road.
The Astros tried to figure out methods to cheat in Game 7 of the '17 World Series on the road, but backed off when they learned the Dodgers were starting Yu Darvish.
Mets managerial job now open.
For a scandal that they're saying wasn't a big enough deal to vacate any games, they're sure acting like it was a HUGE deal.
I'm usually very pro-union but I honestly wish the player's union in MLB wasn't as strong as it is because there's no question that some if not many players need to go down for this.
Lot of buzz about Altuve today.
Every player on the Astros who played on those teams need a suspension-even if they are diff teams. The Astros can stagger the suspensions and have 2 or 3 guys suspended at the same time.

Still need to take the titles away. Take the trophies, rings, banners... If you do that there will be no incentive to cheat.

MLB also needs to have security in every stadium this season to monitor teams and squash cheating.
Numbskull Jessica Mendoza (who somehow works for the Mets?) blamed all this on Mike Fiers:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bre...story.html

Quote:“I mean, this wasn’t something that MLB naturally investigated or that even other teams complained about because they naturally heard about it and then investigations happened, but it came from within. It was a player that was a part of it but benefited from it during the regular season when he was a part of that team. … I totally get telling your future teammates, helping them win, letting people know. But to go public with it, call them out and start all of this, it’s hard to swallow.”
Does she also blame Daniel Ellsberg for leaking the Pentagon Papers.
Former White Sox pitcher Jack McDowell reminisces on his playing days:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news...ja2jox1n10

Quote:Speaking to WFNZ-AM in Charlotte, where he serves as baseball coach for Queens University, McDowell said the White Sox had a camera zoomed in on opposing catchers and a light in an outfield Gatorade sign that could be controlled from the manager's office and would presumably let hitters know which pitches were coming.

"I'm going to whistle-blow this thing now because I'm getting tired of this crap," McDowell told the station.

McDowell then said that La Russa, who managed the White Sox from 1979 to 1986, was the one who had the system installed. McDowell debuted with Chicago in 1987, the season after La Russa left.

"He was also the head of the first team ... with people doing steroids," McDowell said, referencing La Russa's decade-long stint as manager of the Oakland A's, which included managing infamous steroid users Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire. "Yet he's still in the game making half a million. No one's gonna go after that."
I hear tell there was also one that involved Hawk, Wimpy, two empty coconut shells, and Morse code.
Quote:The Los Angeles City Council unanimously passed a resolution to ask Major League Baseball to strip the Astros and Red Sox of the 2017 and 2018 World Series titles and award them to the Dodgers, according to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times.

That's just embarrassing, L.A.
Even worse, local news had a story about Dodger fan who is filing a lawsuit against the Astros. I guess he wants his money back for his World Series tickets.

And Dodger fans are planning to flock to Angels Stadium to "harass" the Astros when they play there in April.
The Giants made their most important free agent signing today...

They re-signed announcer Mike Krukow for two years, and will have him announce some road games from their SF studio to accommodate the physical ailment he has that makes it difficult to travel. That's how important he is to fans.

It's hard to understate how important announcers are to bringing in and keeping fans, especially when teams aren't winning. Part of the reason I found it so easy to stop watching football was that I find most of their announcers odious. When the Sharks fired their terrific color analyst who basically taught me hockey, I found myself turning away from the sport.

But with Krukow and Kuiper, the Giants have perhaps the best announcing team anywhere. They kept me engaged for years when the Giants were also-rans, and their excitement made the World Series runs that much more enjoyable. As long as they're around to keep me company, I'll be watching, even when the Giants aren't contending.

(And no matter what the records say, the Dodgers always suck!)
Definitely glad that Krukow will be back for a couple more years. It's awful what he has had to go through but he doesn't let it get him down and he's as good analyzing the games now as he ever has been.
Good to see Manfred getting raked over the coals. Trying to sweep the new Black Sox scandal under the rug is an NFL-level of punkass move.

Looking at the stats and using common sense makes it obvious that without cheating the Astros would not have won.

It'd be hard to get my interest in baseball to wane, but them not giving a damn about the integrity of their own sport would be a big head start.
I heard this morning that immunity for the players was a condition of the Players Association for those involved to testify as to what happened. I get that the MLBPA is supposed to look out for its players, but what about all the players on other teams who were affected by this?
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Admittedly I haven't delved into the details of this scandal, and I have no affection for the Astros, but I find it impossible to feel sorry for players on teams like the Dodgers and Yankees, who have payrolls 3-4 times that of other teams. If the Astros keep their title over those blue bloods with their built-in advantages, good. (Also, baseball players acting outraged when cheating has been a regular part of the sport since forever makes it harder to give a shit.)
I find players bashing other players, in the sports league with the greatest player solidarity, pretty damn fascinating. When you're telling the press you think your fellow players "deserve a beating," this goes beyond the usual issues.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
My already-declining interest in baseball might have been officially killed by this nonsense. When the commissioner of the fucking league can't even muster up some level of give-a-shit over his sport's competitiveness being overtly compromised, I don't feel like my dollars or time need to be spent in its orbit.

I ditched baseball a while back, but Manfred is working hard to kill whatever remaining interest I had. I occasionally enjoyed going to minor league games, but Manfred seems dead set on destroying the entire farm system. Calling the World Series trophy just a piece of metal is a neat summation of this guy's interest in the actual sport of Major League Baseball.
Looks like I'm going to the A's/Astros game on March 30th in Oakland. Row 17 behind Astros dugout. Gonna be working overtime on heckles from now until then.

This whole deal may actually be good for the game. Lord knows I wouldn't be looking to go to a Monday night game in Oakland without all this brouhaha.
True, Molt...when you think about it, the Astros might be a heckuva draw this year. I'm sure security will be stopping people from bringing in trash cans all season long.