Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farscape Now Streaming (for free) on Amazon Prime!
For those of you who missed it, this is THE forgotten great space opera/sci fi series of modern times.

If you can get through the first four or five episodes, which contain a few real clunkers (I feel like I have to say that about too many shows that I love ... another example is The Shield), and if you're into episodic space opera, you'll love this.  

I think the puppets is what kept it from getting mainstream appeal/acclaim in the manner of Star Trek, Babylon 5, or Battlestar Galactica.  And yeah, it takes a while to get used to the puppets, but once you do they're interesting characters.  The FX were top notch for its time, really creative storylines, and some batshit production/character designs.

Amazon Prime link:  https://www.amazon.com/Nerve/dp/B07PRPXW...1642684-20
I've been binge-watching this the last few days. I haven't seen it since it originally aired, so its great to revisit it after all these years.

Compelling characters, awesome puppetry and hot blue women. What's not to love?
“Fabulosity incarnate stands before you; show some goddamn respect.
Time to revisit some favorite episodes (the one with multiple Crichton's was always a favorite).
Also, it took me awhile to realize that Zhaan was played by the same actress who played the Wartior Woman in The Road Warrior.

(03-25-2019, 07:39 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: I've been binge-watching this the last few days. I haven't seen it since it originally aired, so its great to revisit it after all these years.

And Claudia Black, who kicks ass.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
(03-25-2019, 07:39 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: I've been binge-watching this the last few days. I haven't seen it since it originally aired, so its great to revisit it after all these years.

I just realized that I originally watched the show on dvd.  First hi-def viewing experience coming right up!
(03-25-2019, 08:08 PM)Overlord Wrote:

I just realized that I originally watched the show on dvd.  First hi-def viewing experience coming right up!

Here in latin america, this was an HBO exclusive, and a godsend since good scifi was hard to find here.
I watched it religiously.
It also features one of my favorite sci-fi comedy moments:

Quote:Crichton: Alright, gimme the bad news first.

D'Argo: The bad news is that you're married, and you must endure as a statue for 80 cycles in a strange world.
Crichton: So what's the good news?
D'Argo: (Deadpan) Chiana and I are having fantastic sex.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
My favorite character was the big alien muppet pilot, called Pilot.
Git' in under mah belly!

It is unfortunately not true hi def, as it was mastered off of the SD tapes, not the 35mm film that it was originally shot on. The film was either lost or destroyed years ago.
I'm looking forward to re-watching the Looney Tunes episode. That was a fun one.

[Image: latest?cb=20070330044137]
[Image: latest?cb=20160721133052]
(03-25-2019, 09:03 PM)Fafhrd Wrote:

It is unfortunately not true hi def, as it was mastered off of the SD tapes, not the 35mm film that it was originally shot on. The film was either lost or destroyed years ago.

This makes me sad.
Yeah, I just watched the first episode, and was like hey this aint hi def.

YOU LIED TO ME!

***EDIT***

The cgi hasn't aged well at all. Now I'm afraid to start rewatching Babylon 5 whenever I get around to it.

Loose cgi lips sink loose cgi ships.
Git' in under mah belly!
Believe me the cgi on Babylon 5 is FAR Worse.
Oh no!

A pipe dream of mine is for Babylon 5 to get the full remaster treatment, with all the cg redone to something equivalent to The Orville or ST Discovery standards. Or heck at least to Nu Battlestar Galactica.
Git' in under mah belly!
(03-25-2019, 11:14 PM)cd underbelly Wrote: The cgi hasn't aged well at all. Now I'm afraid to start rewatching Babylon 5 whenever I get around to it.

Loose cgi lips sink loose cgi ships.

I would not judge the CGI for the show by the first few episodes.  IMHO it was really clicking by the second season and held up pretty well (I mean, this isn't Aquaman ...).  

(03-25-2019, 11:27 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Believe me the cgi on Babylon 5 is FAR Worse.

Babylon 5 ain't even in the same ballpark as Farscape.  Even for its time Babylon 5 was not impressive.  

(03-26-2019, 02:33 AM)cd underbelly Wrote: Oh no!

A pipe dream of mine is for Babylon 5 to get the full remaster treatment, with all the cg redone to something equivalent to The Orville or ST Discovery standards. Or heck at least to Nu Battlestar Galactica.

They will never, ever, ever remaster or do anything with Babylon 5.  The studio is totally in fear of a Darabont/Walking Dead style lawsuit from Stracyzyiuyziyzkiski as they've been claiming "no profits" for a decade or two now.
(03-26-2019, 02:33 AM)cd underbelly Wrote: Oh no!

It will never happen but in an alternate timeline if WB actually did it would take years and millions of dollars to get it done.

Quote:Babylon 5 ain't even in the same ballpark as Farscape.  Even for its time Babylon 5 was not impressive. 

That's bullshit and you know it. The scale of the space battles in B5 outdid anything Trek was doing at the time.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I'm slowly making my way through season 2.

"Crackers Don't Matter" is a wonderfully goofy episode.

[Image: fs-crackers9.jpg?resize=475%2C368&type=vertical]
Their mind-bending episodes are second in greatness only to the multi-part epic season-enders.
Gamertag: Tweakee