Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chernobyl (2019, HBO Mini)
Trailer is here:

This looks absolutely amazing, and terrifying as well.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
This looks disturbing as hell.  I distinctly recall, four or five days after the incident was actually reported, going out to the family lake cabin and finding a fine layer of strange dust on EVERYTHING that I had not not seen before and I have not observed since. As the property is not directly shoreside, winds generally have little effect, and there had been no precipitation the previous few days. I certainly wasn't spring pollen, I can tell you that.
(03-29-2019, 07:50 PM)chief zabu Wrote: This looks disturbing as hell.  I distinctly recall, four or five days after the incident was actually reported, going out to the family lake cabin and finding a fine layer of strange dust on EVERYTHING that I had not not seen before and I have not observed since. As the property is not directly shoreside, winds generally have little effect, and there had been no precipitation the previous few days. I certainly wasn't spring pollen, I can tell you that.

They just covered the site with what is essentially one of the costliest, biggest and most complex works of engineering in human history.
That alone tells you just how awful and impactful this was.
And like ive said before, if it wasnt for the workers and operatives that managed to drain the cooling pool below the reactor (an scene in the trailer), the steam explosion would had leveled the whole complex and cover half of europe with radiation.
This could had easily ended up being the worst and deadliest disaster in human history.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

I read Piers Paul Read's book back in the day, and some of the terrible anecdotes of heroism stick with me. I don't know if I'm up for watching this, but from the trailer it does look like they've done a good job.

The first hour was pretty riveting. Its remarkably grim and intense, but well-crafted, and they really waste very little time diving in. Production design is terrific and long stretches feel like a straight horror film. With such a sprawling cast, and so many characters coming and going (I don't think its a spoiler to say that a handful of these guys aren't making it past the 10 minute mark of next week's episode), it helps that the performances are pretty great across the board. Minimal Harris and Skarsgard so far, but I have a feeling these guys are going to crush it.
(05-07-2019, 10:20 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: Production design is terrific and long stretches feel like a straight horror film.  

The score in this is pretty amazing.  Straight up dread and menace.
This felt like a documentary, tonally. Pretty damned engrossing
The real horror is watching all the people in power either try and cover up the severity of the accident or purposefully remain in denial.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Yeah, this was a somber, harrowing experience.

The three guys descending into the reactor at the end of the episode was as intense as anything in GoT this week. Their muffled voices gradually getting drowned out by the Geiger counter, the flashlights cutting out one at a time... scary stuff.
Christ this show is fucking terrifying. That it was that close to being a four megaton dirty bomb. Jesus.
Haven't watched Episode 2 yet but the first one was fucking amazing and harrowing as shit.

Confession: I'm having to overcome some negative bias against Adam Nagaitis, who's playing the firefighter, as he played Hickey in AMC's The Terror and that character was a complete shitweasel, made even worse by Nagaitis' infuriating smirk.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Saw episode one of this. It wasn’t as harrowing as I was expecting but certainly riveting.

Scariest thing for me is, regardless of lessons learnt from Chernobyl there’s still a huge chance that this type of secrecy and denial still going on in regards to current mass-disaster scenarios across the globe.
(05-14-2019, 07:24 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Confession: I'm having to overcome some negative bias against Adam Nagaitis, who's playing the firefighter, as he played Hickey in AMC's The Terror and that character was a complete shitweasel, made even worse by Nagaitis' infuriating smirk.

Holy shit! I knew he looked familiar!
Damn good show.
Just finished ep1. Nothing really to add but I'm looking forward to the remaining episodes.
I just listened to the official podcast for this show...it's a good companion piece.
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/pineapp...yl-podcast

Also, there's some great cinematography/efx work in this series.

This pic is straight up a real life Mordor.

[Image: seriado-chernobyl-2019-01.jpg.jpg]
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
The scene with Skarsgard's "You'll do it because it must be done" speech and the three men volunteering was so good I rewound and watched it twice.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
This feels like the blood successor to the first season of THE TERROR, and not just because of the overlapping talent.  Tonally, it really carries that mantle of bleakness and dread.  The actual second season of THE TERROR has even more to live up to, now.
It also feels like they're applying a lot of zombie apocalypse tropes to this, which also ups the horror aspect.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Really fucking good so far. The way Ep.2 ended almost gave me anxiety attacks.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
(05-16-2019, 04:15 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: The scene with Skarsgard's "You'll do it because it must be done" speech and the three men volunteering was so good I rewound and watched it twice.

I loved the look on his face when Jared Harris says "We'll both be dead in 5 years".

Also, the helicopter dropping after hovering over the reactor. Absolutely chilling.

If anyone has the stomach for it, you might want to check out the book Voices From Chernobyl by Svetlana Alexievich. My wife has been listening to the podcast and they said this was partially based off portions of it. I read it a few years ago. It's a pretty grim read. Pretty sure the story of the firefighter, and his wife trying to find him, is taken directly from it.

The three men volunteering, basically knowing they will die, is only the beginning of the sacrifices that were made.
(05-16-2019, 04:32 PM)RCA Wrote: The three men volunteering, basically knowing they will die, is only the beginning of the sacrifices that were made.

Just finished episode 2.  This is already one of the most anxiety inducing shows I've seen.
Just found dig up the fact that two of the three volunteers are still alive and the third died in 2005 from a heart attack.
“I have to go with Poop Hitler.” - Farsight 
The makeup effects on the burn victims in E3 are some of the most impressive and horrifying I've seen in years.

Gary Oldman in Hannibal-level impressive.
(05-21-2019, 11:55 AM)Amos Wrote: Gary Oldman in Hannibal-level impressive.

Wait, what?

EDIT: Sorry, I read that wrong. I thought you were saying Oldman was in this, and I was like "Where?" Indeed, Ridley's Scott's vision of Mason Verger is the first place my mind went as well.
If you folks ain't watching this show, find the time to do so.

The acting and cinematography are superb, and the bits of horror are so well executed.

I don't know if they actually filmed sequences of this in Pripyat, but it sure looks like they did.
Whenever I see Pripyat I’m instantly back in Modern Warfare 2.
Looks like it was filmed in Lithuania:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_(miniseries)

Yeah, the makeup on the burn victims was excellent, in that, it looked absolutely horrifying. Reminded me of Seven.
Only two episodes left? Damn, I had assumed we were getting 8.
(05-20-2019, 11:19 PM)andronicus Wrote: Just found dig up the fact that two of the three volunteers are still alive and the third died in 2005 from a heart attack.

Fist pump?  Don't feel too good about the odds for the pregnant wife.
I have a feeling the show will depict at least one horrifically-deformed newborn. I guess that's her arc.
This has been out-fucking-standing. I've watched the first two episodes twice.

Also, guess I need to find a way to watch The Terror now.
Someday, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee.

PSN ID: anakinsdad

(05-21-2019, 02:34 PM)anakin\s dad Wrote: Also, guess I need to find a way to watch The Terror now.

I wish I could recommend it.

As it is, I can only recommend a targeted/selective viewing of that show. Reactions varied wildly in these parts but I found it to be about 5 or 6 episodes (at most) of story stretched out to 10. 

Harris is very good in it, as is Adam Nagaitis, both in the HBO series for which this thread exists!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Jared Harris on BUILD: