Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Twilight Zone (2019)
I watched both episodes last night. It's okay so far. The Comedian episode was way too long. You could have easily told that story in half the time. You'll see the ending coming and wonder why it took them so long to reach it. 

The second episode, Nightmare at 30,000 Feet, was much better. It was shorter, tighter, and completely departs from the original Matheson story and its two adaptations. 

As it was an improvement over the first episode, I'm hoping that's going to be the general trajectory. If so, I'll keep watching. 

And Peele's a good host, albeit a bit too on the nose with his narration.
I'm reading mostly average reviews for this, one review I glanced at on EW's website gave it a scathing review basically saying the first 4 episodes are garbage. But the reviewer sounded a bit biased going into it, I believe the AV Club review wasn't much better.

I want to watch this as I'm such a big fan of the original and I even enjoyed the remakes they've made over the years. But the fact that you need to pay for this when I'm already paying for Netflix, Amazon Prime, DirecTV and Hulu......yeah, no thanks.
I watched the first episode, which was made available free on youtube.

Yeah, it's way too long for a premise so obvious and basic. That one ended up feeling like a parody of how the Twilight Zone is perceived... even though I appreciated the general premise.
Removing all the close-ups of Kumail Nanjiana standing on stage looking confused and frustrated would have cut at least ten minutes.
(04-02-2019, 07:31 PM)mike j Wrote: Removing all the close-ups of Kumail Nanjiana standing on stage looking confused and frustrated would have cut at least ten minutes.

The Second Amendment joke would kill another 5 minutes.
It starts with "a well- regulated"...
(04-02-2019, 07:19 PM)history buff Wrote: the fact that you need to pay for this when I'm already paying for Netflix, Amazon Prime, DirecTV and Hulu......yeah, no thanks.

FYI Roku users might want to login into their accounts on the Roku website to check if there is a CBS streaming deal in the Offers section. I have a 3 months free trial offer in mine, which I might use to check this new TZ out. Not sure if it is available to all users
I did really like the second episode. Both episodes suffer from bloat but I feel the second one earns more time and the hook of a podcast being the "monster" this time around was neat. This season is baked already but I hope if it gets a second season, Jordan Peele will get to write and direct some episodes. I hear "Us" started as a CBS TZ episode and it got spun off into a full fledged movie. Going to stick with it for now but it is super bloated so far.
(04-02-2019, 08:03 PM)Adam_72 Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 07:19 PM)history buff Wrote: the fact that you need to pay for this when I'm already paying for Netflix, Amazon Prime, DirecTV and Hulu......yeah, no thanks.

FYI Roku users might want to login into their accounts on the Roku website to check if there is a CBS streaming deal in the Offers section. I have a 3 months free trial offer in mine, which I might use to check this new TZ out. Not sure if it is available to all users

Hey, thanks for the heads up, I'll def. take a look.
The Comedian was a bummer. Outrageously long, for that premise. It’s streaming, can’t they just be whatever length?

Beyond that, much like Us (actually much more than in Us), I spent an enormous amount of the run time pondering the impossibilities. If he talks about people in his act, they disappear, but everyone loves his act. What do they remember in the act? The people that they otherwise can’t remember? Did he never think to film it? If he had a podcast, how would that work? Cause then it’s recorded.

It’s just a way less effective Death Note. And as many filmed stories about comedians go, it’s never actually funny. You’d think Nanjiani, who made legitimately funny comedian scenes in The Big Sick, could have helped in that regard. Nope.

Probably won’t keep going with this, what with no CBS All Access. Can’t justify that right now.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Also, I like Kumail, but he’s the wrong guy for this role. He’s one of the nicest comedians out there. Shoulda been Bill Burr or Ricky Gervais, one of those asshole comedians.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Agreed, they should have chosen someone funny. I mean I liked his movie well enough but it was more drama than comedy. Although the 9/11 joke did get me.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I watched that first episode on YouTube...as mentioned, it was too long. They could have cut it down to 30 minutes, which IMO should be the optimum time to shoot for.

The original TZ did wonders inside of that 30 minute block and that time constraint can force a bit of creative editing that can end up improving the final product. Just because you can make a 60 minute tv show doesn't mean the material warrants it. There were a couple good 60min episodes of the orig TZ but all the great ones were only 30 min.

Also, this series (as well as the previous reboots) is going to suffer from the (now) cliche idea that there is always going to be a 'twist' ending.
People have become used to the idea that their is going to be some sort of reveal at the end so that one is constantly trying to envision said twist instead of just sitting down for the ride.
Not a bad thing per se, but it has the ability to taint the enjoyment of the episode.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
New episode on Thursday.
Okay. So this has been bugging me. How is the comedian supposed to be getting famous if the material he's good at is based off people who disappear from the space/time continium? Like, what do the recordings look like afterwards? Is it his lame 2nd amendment joke being played instead but getting lots of laughs? How can a monologue about some guy's nephew that no longer exists exist in the first place?
I think the answer is simply that it doesn’t work, which might have mattered less at thirty minutes. Then it could have just existed as a metaphor. The extra half hour is filled with nothing but reasons why it doesn’t work.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Third episode is much better.
We're still in "Just okay" territory with this episode. The premise itself is solid and could have been concocted by Rod Serling or Charles Beaumont. The issue is the main theme, which is beaten into our heads ad nasueam. Racist cops are a very relevant topic but while watching it, I couldn't help but think of this screenwriting rule:

https://popcornculture1.wordpress.com/20...ing-rules/

Screenwriting rules are successfully broken all the time and I've always found this one to be a tad on the silly side. This episode, however, should have adhered to it. So we have a camera that can turn back time. Great. The problem is that we have an antagonist that feels almost supernatural. No matter what path the protagonist takes, he's always there. Is he the Devil? Nope, just a fat ass racist cop. So how does he always know where to find our protagonist? It became distracting and the majority of the episode kept playing out the same beat. 

I think it would have worked better if the run-in with the racist cop had been dealt with in the 1st act and the rest of the episode was the protagonist realizing she has this great power and begins to yield it in a careless and cavalier fashion. It would eventually backfire on her horribly, say she's driving her car and she hits a kid or something along those lines. When she goes to rewind the tape, she realizes the camera was broken on impact and now she's stuck. We see a cop approaching her car ("Ma'am, can you step out?") and boom, we see it's the racist cop from the 1st act. Cue creepy closing narration from Jordan Peele.

That's just off the top of my head. Again, solid premise but it could have been executed better (and like the first two episodes, it could have been shorter).
I agree with mike j.

The episode was so heavy handed with it's "lesson" and not in that good Twilight Zone where episodes explore society through melodrama. The whole thing came across like one of those shows/films that's trying too hard to be "important" (aka EMMY/OSCAR bait). This episode is a great premise wasted on a "yeah, of course" message.
"I'm not a smart man" -F. Gump
"Bloat" is about the most worrisome description I could have heard.

Because Peele's other anthology series, Weird City, is bloated to the max. Which, considering they're 22-28 minute episodes, is hard to do. I felt like I was continuously watching 5-6 minute sketches that had been stretched out WAY too far.
I'm liking this so far, I really like the tone and the feel of it.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
I’m watching it now with a co-worker’s sign in.

Comedian remains easily the worst, but Nightmare and Replay aren’t terrific. I imagine every streaming service wants its own Black Mirror, but they’re far from that benchmark here, thus far. Production values and guest stars (and free access) will keep me with it for the moment, but I doubt they’re able to hang on to those too long, unless there’s a general uptick in quality.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Well it took 4 episodes, but this last one felt like old school TZ.
Probably a bad sign that a thread about me is getting more comments than a thread about this show.
Wow. That was REALLY bad. The premise felt like something cooked up by a college freshman in a creative writing class.

The suspension of disbelief required is astounding and there's no nuance. "Look, a petulant child won the Presidency using empty promises. Just like Trump! LOL!"

Okay, but without derailing the thread, Trump's win involved a variety of factors. The pedantic simplification of that is frustrating.

I'm not sure I'm going to finish this revival. It's been okay at best and this was truly a low point.
Renewed for season 2:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/the-twi...203200121/
Okay, that's more like it.

Length is still an issue, but that was easily the strongest episode of the season.

Next week looks like a similar premise to The Screwfly Solution, a Masters of Horror episode directed by Joe Dante. That was based on a short story by Alice Sheldon. I'm not sure TZ is borrowing from the same source material.

Either way, I hope it's as strong as this episode.
"Not All Men" was kind of meh. The title and preview suggest an allegorical take on the Me Too movement and the episode is bookended by scenes that suggest they're going to do exactly that, but mostly the episode is about meteors that make men angry. They spend most of the episode fighting each other.

The twist? The men are CHOOSING to be aggressive.

Dun dun DUNNNNNN!

A bit undercooked overall.

And Tessa Farmiga looked roughly the same age as her nephew.
(05-09-2019, 02:09 PM)mike j Wrote: "Not All Men" was kind of meh. The title and preview suggest an allegorical take on the Me Too movement and the episode is bookended by scenes that suggest they're going to do exactly that, but mostly the episode is about meteors that make men angry. They spend most of the episode fighting each other.

The twist? The men are CHOOSING to be aggressive.
What?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Yup. It's shoehorned in during the final couple of minutes. Tessa Farmiga's nephew touches a meteor and looks like he's going to turn, but then reveals he chose not to.

Twist!
(05-09-2019, 02:20 PM)mike j Wrote: Yup. It's shoehorned in during the final couple of minutes. Tessa Farmiga's nephew touches a meteor and looks like he's going to turn, but then reveals he chose not to.

Twist!

Ok so just to be clear do the men start going crazy because they THINK the meteor is supposed to make them go crazy and use it as an excuse to give into their darker impulses? Or they just go crazy because they are..........men I guess and Farmiga blames it on the meteor?
Because the second one is hilarious. Woke Twilight Zone sounds awful.
I think it's intended to be the former, but as I've said, the episode is a bit undercooked.
Jesus Christ.
Next week's episode has Ginnifer Goodwin. It looks interesting.

I know I've expressed disappointment about continuing with the show, but I'm going to stick it out.
This show is bad.

But the Masters of Horror episode with that plot, The Screwfly Solution, is pretty good. It's less heavy handed with its metaphor (if Mike J's to be believed, I haven't seen the TZ episode), but it comes across loud and clear all the same. Joe Dante directed it!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN