Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The New Gilded Age/Eat The Rich Thread
A place to share, and discuss, absolutely ridiculous examples of wealth and excess. I present this: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/05/nyreg...attan.html
home taping is killing music
So my knowledge of NYC is limited, to say the least. So only a couple of thoughts:

Quote:Ms. Beauvoir has described herself as a mambo, or voodoo priestess; her life and her music are infused with her faith. “Erzulie,” it so happens, is a family of voodoo spirits. “We believe that all things around us have a soul, have a spirit, and participate in this world, so the tree, the wind, the air, wood, stones, animals, people — all of us share this earth,” she told the jazz podcast “Straight No Chaser” last fall. “And what’s difficult is when things get knocked out of balance because man believes he’s above everything else and refuses to respect the environment around him.”

...except when it's about you drilling down 37 feet into hard rock to put in your swimming pool.

Also, I shared this story with a friend who lives in NYC and this was his reaction:

Quote:Man, fuck the Times. Who else would think that fucking West 69th St. a block off Central Park is a story about gentrification?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I think, despite the link, the piece itself is less about gentrification and more "supergentrification," which is just another piece of making this city completely unlivable for anyone who's not a Russian billionare or a hedge fund manager. But I see his point!
home taping is killing music
I mean, do they get a pass if the pool is a replica of this?

[Image: UwHu0.jpg]
Since we're sharing, this one has been making the rounds on my facebook feed:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world...rIEtm76kXA

Essentially wealthy Californians made a gofundme account and raised $60,000 to fight plans of making a homeless shelter in their area.

Their reasoning: The shelter would make the area less safe, which is rich white folk talk for: We don't want the undesirables near us.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Someone should explain to them that San Francisco is basically already a homeless shelter, because they priced everybody out to the point where even people with actual paying jobs are sleeping on the streets.
[Image: uhnwi-city-map.jpg]

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/mapped-...residents/
Originally posted by Schwartz on Cool as Ice ("When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add Ice."):
"It's not just a mixed metaphor, or that the stone is one that is melting...but the ice is actually making it melt. (kisses fingers) Magnifique."
That's interesting to see that Mexico City has such high projected growth for UHNWIs. Perfect example of the widening gap between haves and have nots.
Damn the midwest is poor. Also imagine being rich as fuck but tethered to Moscow, what a nightmare.

Yes I am aware of travel
I was hoping for cooking tips. Is there a difference in taste between millionaires and billionaires?
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
interactive graphic-

Lyft’s I.P.O. Is Making the Same Circle of Men Rich, Again
Quote:The venture capital cycle, in which entrepreneurs from one generation of tech company become investors in the next one, helps preserve wealth amid rounds of creative destruction.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Venture capitalism (in this country, at least) has been something between an obvious scam and a massive cult comprised of grade-A lunatics for at least twenty years now. You'd think at some point people would've caught on.
(04-05-2019, 10:26 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Also, I shared this story with a friend who lives in NYC and this was his reaction:

Quote:Man, fuck the Times. Who else would think that fucking West 69th St. a block off Central Park is a story about gentrification?

Ha ha haaaa!  Your friend is correct.

Re: the UHNWI predicted growth map above, there's a story to be told about London having the largest growth of super wealthy individuals, coupled with the impending financial effects of whatever form Brexit takes, which will by and large, from what I'm aware, affect the less wealthy.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Suppose you were a UHNW Russian Oligarch/ Premier League Football team owner?

Would they count you in London or elsewhere?
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/abigail-d...43449.html

I agree with Ms. Disney. Mr. Iger, and executive compensation in the U.S., in general, is out of control when it comes to publicly traded companies. The enormous grants of stock options also create an incentive for CEO's to initiate stock buybacks with the goal of increasing the value of their own shares (basically they can enrich themselves instead of investing in the company or returning funds to shareholders in the form of dividends). This is predatory capitalism at is finest, where everyone chips in a little to ensure that a very privileged few become disgustingly wealthy.

The lack of regulatory oversight in regards to executive compensation is a cancer eating away at the U.S. It's hard to believe that not too long ago bipartisan support led to a "cap" on executive 401k/IRA compensation (percentage-linked to employee 401k/IRA compensation). We need a similar bipartisan effort to extend those sort of caps to all forms of executive compensation and we need to do away with the rule of law that essentially gives board of directors unfettered authority to issue golden parachutes and bloated salaries.
[Image: FFFCAgb.jpg]

This is about Brexit but I think has broader relevance. (takes a while to get to the Rich People stuff)
[Image: qu2rliccqkz21.jpg]

Special correspondent Matt Foley?
This was a good listen...

Tech billionaires who donate millions are just “bribing society at large,” Anand Giridharadas says
Zuckerberg, Bezos, and Gates shouldn’t have an outsize say in how we run our country, Giridharadas says on the latest episode of Recode Decode.

Quote:On the new podcast, Giridharadas characterized the power of Zuckerberg and his peers in policy discussions as the result of a “40-year war on the idea of government.” It’s fine for billionaires to have opinions on things like medicine and education — but, he asked, why should they be treated as sagacious experts when they come from a completely different arena?

“Why do we actually bother, fuss so much about voting rights?” he asked. “Why is it so important that a relatively small number of people not get turned away at the polls, right? Why was it important to fight for women’s suffrage? If we create this entire system where the choices about our biggest shared problems are made by us, but then we create this other door to the nightclub of democracy where only people with a billion dollars can come in, they can just also sort of overrule us on a bunch of things.”
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
I love his naming of that a 'philanthropic side-hustle'.
I supposed this could have gone in the Trumpocalypse thread as well...

Quote:Banker Accused of Arranging $16 Million in Loans to Manafort to Gain High-Level Trump Post
Stephen M. Calk, the chairman of a small Chicago bank, sought positions including secretary of the Treasury, prosecutors said.

The chairman of a Chicago bank has been indicted in Manhattan on a charge that he issued millions of dollars in loans to President Trump’s former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, in an effort to obtain a high-level position in the administration, federal authorities said on Thursday.

Prosecutors said the banker, Stephen M. Calk, the chairman of Federal Savings Bank, pushed the bank to give Mr. Manafort $16 million in loans in exchange for help in procuring an appointment.

Mr. Calk, 54, sought positions including secretary of the Treasury, according to the indictment unsealed in Federal District Court in Manhattan. He did not receive a post.
[cont]
A pretty devastating article on how Preachers exploit the poor and get rich off of them.
https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-47675301#_=_
Quote:It sounds simple, absurdly so, but Coontz knows his audience extremely well. He broadcasts on Christian cable channels, often late into the night, drawing in viewers who lack financial literacy and are desperate for change.
"I understand the laws that govern insurance, stocks and bonds and all that is involved with Wall Street," he once said, looking directly into the camera. "God has called me… as a financial deliverer."
Crucially, he always refers to the money as a "seed" - a $273 seed, a $333 seed, a "turnaround" seed, depending on the broadcast. If viewers "plant" one, the amount will come back to them, multiplied, he says. It is an investment in their faith and their future.
"Why did she do it?"

(05-31-2019, 06:32 AM)ska oreo Wrote: A pretty devastating article on how Preachers exploit the poor and get rich off of them.
https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-47675301#_=_
Quote:It sounds simple, absurdly so, but Coontz knows his audience extremely well. He broadcasts on Christian cable channels, often late into the night, drawing in viewers who lack financial literacy and are desperate for change.
"I understand the laws that govern insurance, stocks and bonds and all that is involved with Wall Street," he once said, looking directly into the camera. "God has called me… as a financial deliverer."
Crucially, he always refers to the money as a "seed" - a $273 seed, a $333 seed, a "turnaround" seed, depending on the broadcast. If viewers "plant" one, the amount will come back to them, multiplied, he says. It is an investment in their faith and their future.

John Oliver's bit on these fuckers was great:

"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Yup. The person who the piece is about actually started to realize how shitty things were when just happened on that segment.
"Why did she do it?"

Surprised to see this conversation wasn't about that Kenneth Copeland video - https://heavy.com/news/2019/05/preacher-...ted-video/

Clearly, this psychotic greedwhore has never had his motives questioned before. If only hell existed...
(06-01-2019, 06:54 PM)Mangy Wrote: Surprised to see this conversation wasn't about that Kenneth Copeland video - https://heavy.com/news/2019/05/preacher-...ted-video/

Clearly, this psychotic greedwhore has never had his motives questioned before. If only hell existed...

Damn....look at that motherfuckers eyes.

He's one Kool-Aid purchase away from going full Jim Jones.
(06-01-2019, 06:54 PM)Mangy Wrote: Surprised to see this conversation wasn't about that Kenneth Copeland video - https://heavy.com/news/2019/05/preacher-...ted-video/

It is so, so difficult to take our nation's taxation policy and laws seriously when I read about parasites like this. 

It is mind-boggling to me that the Mormon Church and Catholic Church, to give two prominent examples, are able to somehow avoid paying taxes while they try to sway people at the ballot box and buy up tons of commercial properties.

[Image: u1jsemy3eb331.jpg]

You think the Koch bros are nefarious motherfuckers...give this a listen. Nefarious doesn't begin to describe it.

In his new book, 'Kochland,' journalist Christopher Leonard chronicles how Koch Industries and Charles and David Koch acquired huge businesses, limited their liability and created a political influence network to remake the Republican Party. Leonard says President Trump is a threat to that vision.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/fr...0446829516