Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
From Wiki

Quote:Taking place after Order 66, which kicked off the Galaxy-wide purge of the Jedi Order, players take control of padawan Cal Kestis (portrayed by Cameron Monaghan) – one of the last surviving Jedi.

Trailer:

From Respawn Entertainment (Titanfall and Apex Legends).

It takes place between Episodes III and IV.

Debra Wilson (MadTV, Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus) plays an Jedi Knight that teaches Cal.

It's single-player only with no microtransactions and is third-person.

Available for the PS4, XB1, and PC on November 15, 2019.
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
I like the premise. Some actual gameplay footage would be good.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Yeah looks cool and promising studio and all that, but I want to know EXACTLY what it is. We talking Assassins Creed Star Wars? Witcher 3 style RPG or more action focused linear?
Hey it stars the ginger kid that plays Ian on Shameless, and ginger kid Joker on Gotham. Gingers may not have souls, but they can have the Force.
"Never ASSUME anything, for it makes an ASS out of U and ME." - Benny Hill
Gameplay demo.

You can upgrade and customize your lightsaber with different parts and colors
Levels are quite large
Lightsaber combat is silk smooth and responsive and it's close to Sekiro
Vehicles with guns confirmed
Difficulty settings and there was plenty of challenge in the GI demo, harder than the EA Play demo
There are combos but enemies are tough
There's a ship-HUB, you use this to travel to various planets
Many path locked behind gadgets and abilities to unlock
Good variety in locations in old and brand new planets
There's Photo mode
Player customization and Skill tree with various upgrade circles

https://www.gameinformer.com/feature/201...-the-force
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
I will probably play this.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
You had me at Sekiro lightsaber combat.
The gameplay demo looked pretty blah for the most part. Mostly stormtroopers standing still. If things perk up later in the game, there is a lot of potential though. Respawn did some brilliant platforming and environmental design in Titanfall 2. I want a traditional single player game like this to turn out well.
Hmm, they're still too afraid to add dismemberment from saber combat. C'mon man, it should be fine as long as there's no blood or guts. Seeing him slice and dice right through trooper bodies, and they just crumple with scorch marks kinda takes me out of it.

*has fond memories of Dark Forces 2's cheat/mod that enabled dismemberment, good times*
Git' in under mah belly!
It will probably be terrible.

But I'm hopeful.

I’m still not sure why a dev only known for making FPS games (albeit high quality ones) is making a third person action game.
(06-10-2019, 02:42 PM)could432 Wrote: I’m still not sure why a dev only known for making FPS games (albeit high quality ones) is making a third person action game.

The director did God of War 3 and was the animation director for God of War 2. It looks fine.
Git' in under mah belly!
Man, fuck this game. Totally awkward movement & fighting control, no fast travel so each level when you reach the goal, you have to backtrack the whole way with respawned enemies. No save games, ridiculously far apart checkpoints, where the last thing before a checkpoint after a long sequence of actions is an overpowered boss fight that you inevitably lose the first few times. And respawn takes a minute or more. Fuck this game.
(11-27-2019, 11:44 PM)somewhere Wrote: Man, fuck this game.  Totally awkward movement & fighting control, no fast travel so each level when you reach the goal, you have to backtrack the whole way with respawned enemies.  No save games, ridiculously far apart checkpoints, where the last thing before a checkpoint after a long sequence of actions is an overpowered boss fight that you inevitably lose the first few times.  And respawn takes a minute or more.  Fuck this game.

... I'm having flashbacks to Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

Bah, dropping it down to Story mode to see if that helps. But it seems like a serious design flaw if I can't even make it through the gam eon 'normal' difficulty.

I do enjoy the way that Cal's various ponchos always move like they're in a high wind, even inside ships.
I think I'm about two thirds of the way through the plot, and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm actually a big fan of how the block function takes a second - you really need to think and be careful about when to press it, rather than just doing it when you see the enemies' blasts/blows about to hit you. You need to pay attention to every encounter.

I just killed a gigantic, pain in the arse monster - I'm playing on the 'Jedi Master' (hard) difficulty because a developer said that was the best experience, and it took me a good hour of frustrating trying. I've only recently bought a PS4 after not owning a console in 10 years, and I'm not up to speed on Dark Souls and Sekiro, but if this, as umpteen reviews are saying, is a gentler version of them gameplay-wise, I'll be checking them out.
(11-27-2019, 11:44 PM)somewhere Wrote: Man, fuck this game. Totally awkward movement & fighting control, no fast travel so each level when you reach the goal, you have to backtrack the whole way with respawned enemies. No save games, ridiculously far apart checkpoints, where the last thing before a checkpoint after a long sequence of actions is an overpowered boss fight that you inevitably lose the first few times. And respawn takes a minute or more. Fuck this game.

You mean just... like... Dark... Souls? Which the gameplay design here is cleary inspired by. If you think this game is hard, stay away from Dark Souls, Bloodbone, NIOH, or Sekiro.
Git' in under mah belly!
All fair points. My frustration likely reflects my position as a relatively casual gamer.
For what it's worth, it took me a while to get into it - until maybe the first boss, I'd a niggling feeling that 'I want to like this because it's a single player Star Wars game in the vein of the bitchin' Dark Forces series from the 90s and early 00s'.

I'm a big fan of how difficult it is - it's almost like a Jedi sim. I really don't like the idea that Jedi are able to run in and wipe the floor with anyone - anytime we see them in the films against trained, living foes they have to put a lot of effort in (Jabba's goons, Jango, clones), and this game reflects that.

It's so fucking dumb that EA's taken this long to release a proper single player SW game. Knowing them, I imagine internally it was motivated by straightforward, bloody-minded, 'We will will as many single player games out of existence as possible, because they're harder to make money from after the initial £50/$70 transaction'.
(11-28-2019, 02:20 AM)rexbanner Wrote: It's so fucking dumb that EA's taken this long to release a proper single player SW game. Knowing them, I imagine internally it was motivated by straightforward, bloody-minded, 'We will will as many single player games out of existence as possible, because they're harder to make money from after the initial £50/$70 transaction'.

It really is difficult to unsee the business model’s influence on the design of a game once one sees it.  Knights of the Old Republic III was transformed from a single player RPG to the Old Republic MMO at a very early stage in its development, inspired specifically by the post-launch revenue that Blizzard Entertainment was making off of WoW’s subscription service model.  (The intended plot of KOTOR III became the Jedi Knight’s class story.)
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
The Jedi Knight's class story is one of the least interesting ones!
(11-30-2019, 05:45 AM)freeman Wrote: The Jedi Knight's class story is one of the least interesting ones!

TOR's stories, ranked (I played through this game way, way, way, way too many times).  

1.)Imperial Agent:  the only storyline with a true "neutral, in it for myself" plotline.  Both lightside and darkside was phenomenal.  This was, perhaps, Bioware's greatest narrative effort in its history other than KOTOR and maybe Mass Effect 2.  The fact that it is such a tour de force when you are NOT a Force user was pretty amazing.  I actually played through it twice, once with a sniper and once with an operative.   

2.)Lightside Sith Warrior:  This is the "lawful evil" choice of the game, and probably the only meaningful "lawful evil" storyline in all of gaming history.  It is also TREMENDOUSLY different from the "Darkside" story, in which you basically play a hired thug repeatedly sent on hits ... which gets old.  Imagine if Darth Vader actually was sincere with his "end this destructive conflict and rule the galaxy" narrative.  That's what this campaign played on lightside feels like.

______It is a big step down from those two______

3.)Darkside Sith Inquisitor.  I can't imagine playing this character lightside ... you shoot lightning, for fuck's sake.  Lots of looooooooore and maybe the best sense of history of all the class stories.

_____Another major line of demarcation.

4.)Smuggler Story.  Mixed bag here ... Chapters 2 and 3 are mediocre, but chapter one is probably the best single story chapter in the entire game. The problem is that Chapter One tells a self-contained, "full" story. It's phenomenal, but you never really feel like you're continuing in that same spirit of adventure.

5.)Darkside Jedi Knight:  The lightside is super fucking boring, but the darkside variation is pretty damned interesting.

**I'd probably slot Darkside Sith Warrior in here, if I had finished it.  It felt really stale to play the character as a walking stereotype after experiencing the phenomenal lightside campaign.  

________One final step down______________

6.)Bounty Hunter.  Mediocre.  Almost entirely forgettable.  Which is a damned shame as EVERYONE was super hyped for this story.  I think in the first few weeks of the game's release maybe half the people were playing as Boba Fett clones.  Seemed like 90% of the tanks were powertechs.  People were actually asking for non-powertech tanks for Operations as there were too many people who needed the same loot.  

7.)Lightside Jedi Knight.  Just by the numbers and feels pretty stale.  You'd think it would be awesome playing the role of a Luke Skywalker-esque figure, except the character is SUCH a goody two-shoes and it is SO predictable that the only really fun part is at the the very end.  That and some of the pivotal "cliche" moments in the beginning that still manage to feel really cool to experience as your own character.

8.)Commando:  I hated this story.  Actually abandoned it in the third act, one of only two stories I couldn't finish. Feels like you're a clonetrooper just going on repeated missions of the same variety over and over and over again.  

9.)Jedi Consular ... zzzzzzzz .... I quit in Act 2, this is boring as fuck and just terribly conceived.  It is NOT what I want from a Star Wars game.  I'm told that Darkside is more interesting (with you turning people against each other) but I have hard time seeing how the missions for this campaign could ever be compelling.

You've got me thinking it's time for me to dive back into TOR and finish all my storylines... I downloaded a mouse look mod that binds the camera look to my mouse like a modern 3rd person shooter with the push of a button. The same mod also binds your first 5 action abilities to the mouse buttons. It makes the gameplay MUCH more modern than the old WoW design. Honestly it's so much better feeling that it makes me daydream about what could have been with TOR if they had made some smarter MMO future proofing decisions like for example Guild Wars 2 did(action camera, more actiony combat, Public event quests pushing players towards the more social aspects of an MMO etc.)

Weird that you rate Bounty Hunter so low. I'd call that up there with my favorite so far. The whole "great hunt" story seems neat. I dunno.
(12-02-2019, 10:18 AM)freeman Wrote: You've got me thinking it's time for me to dive back into TOR and finish all my storylines...  I downloaded a mouse look mod that binds the camera look to my mouse like a modern 3rd person shooter with the push of a button.  The same mod also binds your first 5 action abilities to the mouse buttons.  It makes the gameplay MUCH more modern than the old WoW design.  Honestly it's so much better feeling that it makes me daydream about what could have been with TOR if they had made some smarter MMO future proofing decisions like for example Guild Wars 2 did(action camera, more actiony combat, Public event quests pushing players towards the more social aspects of an MMO etc.)

Weird that you rate Bounty Hunter so low.  I'd call that up there with my favorite so far.  The whole "great hunt" story seems neat.  I dunno.

The Bounty Hunter, much like the Commando, storylines just felt really, really episodic (for me, at least).  "Go there, do X, move on to next location."  In comparison to some of the best storylines which had progressive narratives that built up through all three acts.  

Of course, some would argue that it's the story of a BOUNTY HUNTER and so it should play out that way.  

**A lot of our guild raiding group used those turbo mice that had a dozen buttons, but tanking required such precision I could never make the switch.  SWTOR was the rare MMORPG where tanking was 5x mechanically harder than any other role.  

****Which stories have you played?

Well I'm doing a second playthrough and I'm kicking ass in lightsaber fights. I guess I'm a lot more familiar with the combat dynamics now. aka Just needed to git gud
(12-02-2019, 04:04 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 10:18 AM)freeman Wrote: You've got me thinking it's time for me to dive back into TOR and finish all my storylines...  I downloaded a mouse look mod that binds the camera look to my mouse like a modern 3rd person shooter with the push of a button.  The same mod also binds your first 5 action abilities to the mouse buttons.  It makes the gameplay MUCH more modern than the old WoW design.  Honestly it's so much better feeling that it makes me daydream about what could have been with TOR if they had made some smarter MMO future proofing decisions like for example Guild Wars 2 did(action camera, more actiony combat, Public event quests pushing players towards the more social aspects of an MMO etc.)

Weird that you rate Bounty Hunter so low.  I'd call that up there with my favorite so far.  The whole "great hunt" story seems neat.  I dunno.

The Bounty Hunter, much like the Commando, storylines just felt really, really episodic (for me, at least).  "Go there, do X, move on to next location."  In comparison to some of the best storylines which had progressive narratives that built up through all three acts.  

Of course, some would argue that it's the story of a BOUNTY HUNTER and so it should play out that way.  

**A lot of our guild raiding group used those turbo mice that had a dozen buttons, but tanking required such precision I could never make the switch.  SWTOR was the rare MMORPG where tanking was 5x mechanically harder than any other role.  

****Which stories have you played?

I haven't completed any storylines, I'm doing them all at the same time. I'm furthest in Imperial Agent, Bounty Hunter, Sith Warrior and Smuggler... The rest aren't too far behind. Jedi Inquisitor is in dead last.
I'm very near the end (my last save point was outside a very boss-battle looking door, Cal was making dread comments to his robot pal, and the vast environment was an amalgamation of every classic Star Wars duel setting - gantries; vast, vertical architecture, fiery pits, orange-lit smoke and steam). So far I've been very impressed.

The story's hardly anything terribly novel, but it's told well, and while it leans into classic Star Wars iconography (which is... a big reason you buy a Star Wars game) I love how much new - or at least non-movie stuff - is in there. It's like the designers actively thought 'what sort of environments haven't we seen in Star Wars films?' and made an attempt to put them in - Zeffo has a Scottish or Icelandic highlands vibe; Dathomir's basically Mordor; and SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

...the climax is taking place in an underwater Imperial prison-fortress, which marries your classic Imperial look to a James Bond sort of thing. Imagination and thought went into this, is what I'm saying. It'd've been easy for them to just go 'uh, Coruscant, Tatooine, Bespin, and... Jakku, we can use some of the Tatooine assets'.

It's also done a good job of making the Imperial inquisitors - a concept I hate because, in being transparent attempts to provide killable Sith-villains for TV shows and novels, they detract a little from what I've always figured was Vader's day job for about 10 years - interesting.

A rousing triumph I say, unless it drops the ball during the final boss fight. My only quibble is the shitty framerate on parts of the cliff world and Kasshyyk - this game looks great, but it doesn't run nearly as smoothly as Uncharted 4, which looked a bit better and typically had a lot more going on.