Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WARRIOR on Cinemax
Pretty good show so far. About warring Chinese gangs in late 19th Century San Francisco, as well as the cops tasked with keeping order in Chinatown. An outsider arrives to town and joins up with one of the gangs but has more to his motives than a life of crime.

Show credits itself as "Based on the writings of Bruce Lee," which I guess is true. It was also created by Justin Lin and Jonathan Tropper who was one of the main guys behind Banshee. Considering the amount of fights, bloodletting and all-around debauchery in the first couple episodes it seems like Tropper's voice is the one coming through the most.
Digging it so far as well. Still not sold yet on Andrew Koji as the lead, but I'm enjoying the ensemble work and pulpy elements.

I like the McTiernan way they transition from Chinese to English mid-dialogue.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
I know what you mean about Koji but I'm already warming to him. Liked his scene with the mayor's wife while in his cell.

Hoon Lee is the one stealing every scene he's in. Eventually he needs to front his own show because he has presence to spare.
"I tell him AFTER". Goddamn I miss Job so much.

I recently realized Olivia Cheng (the whorehouse madam) played the tragic #4 in Walter Hill's BROKEN TRAIL. I loved that miniseries.
After last night's Ep.3 I'm getting more used to Koji's presence & limitations. Guy still looks like he'd be most at home starring in a Subaru commercial hiking the PNW trail but I'm getting conditioned to his delivery and stoner acting. I'm digging the budding relationship w/ Big Bill in particular. I sense a certain Shrimphead/Numbnuts type of chemistry perhaps.

Then Joe Taslim shows up and wrecks shit masterfully for a couple of minutes and I still can't help but wonder What If.
I think Koji's acting is deliberate since the show is supposed to be a western, and Koji is very much a combination of Bruce Lee's arrogance and Clint Eastwood's stoicism.

Yeah this show is still fun, but I do hope that we get a little bit more interesting story developments, since for now it's really just the blood letting that's keeping me interested.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

I've never seen Koji in anything else so I can't say if that's a deliberate choice but I am getting used to whatever he's doing. I did like his back and forth w/ Big Bill in the cell and on the courthouse bench. Their relationship could potentially steer the overall story in interesting directions. His scene w/ the mayor's wife inside her home though - I was reminded of my high school buddy trying to mack on this chick to take her to prom and I kept getting douche chills.

Apparently Ep.5 is where the series really find its footing, according to the hosts of the They Call Me Bruce podcast who previewed the first 8 episodes.
That's good. Banshee took a while to go from stock cinemax action series, to "one of the greatest action anything of all time."

Warrior is definitely starting out stronger, and I get that the past few episodes have been table setting for the conflicts to come in the show. But I'm definitely with this show for the long run.
"Why did she do it?"

Renewed for second season:

https://deadline.com/2019/04/warrior-ren...202600027/
[Image: MajesticExemplaryInganue-max-1mb.gif]
"Why did she do it?"

Great news. BANSHEE seasons 2 & 3 were my faves so I'm hoping Jonathan Tropper has equally grand ambitions w/ this series.
I could watch Joe Taslim murder the shit out of everyone forever.

Also:
"I thought you'd say that..that's why I already killed you." *quietly sips tea.*
"Why did she do it?"

(04-15-2019, 10:20 PM)isao kanemasa Wrote: Digging it so far as well.  Still not sold yet on Andrew Koji as the lead, but I'm enjoying the ensemble work and pulpy elements.  

I like the McTiernan way they transition from Chinese to English mid-dialogue.

Did McTiernan do Hunt for Red October?  Cause that is what comes to mind.

Both Hunt and The 13th Warrior.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
It'd be amazing if the righteous Southern cop Lee started understanding/speaking Cantonese right away after a heavy duty opium den session.

I was curious why Rich Ting's character was named Bolo, but now I get it.
Dustin Nguyen? Can't wait to see him bust out some Jump Street swagger here.
I love the McTiernan style switching, especially the perspective one, where Chinese characters who can speak english, outside of Ah Sam, use an accent when interacting with english speakers, but drop it when they're talking amongst themselves, in english, but it's clear they're using their native tongue.  Also just found out, and not surprised, of course there's a ton of brits in this cast.  Lee, Ah Sam, Bill, Penelope.  Probably easier for Canadians and UK citizens to get work visas shooting in South Africa.
(04-28-2019, 11:49 AM)isao kanemasa Wrote: It'd be amazing if the righteous Southern cop Lee started understanding/speaking Cantonese right away after a heavy duty opium den session.  

I was curious why Rich Ting's character was named Bolo, but now I get it.

I am curious to see what Lee's deal is...and I have to assume that the small hint of his, presumably black, lover is gong to be the main reason of why he got out of Georgia.
"Why did she do it?"

Well that was basically the "episode 3 of Banshee" moment.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
MacGruber!
Dear Cinemax and Amazon,

Please make the fifth episode of Warrior available for viewing for those who are paying for Cinemax through Amazon.

Thank you,

Disgruntled Subscriber
(05-04-2019, 06:34 AM)the nz natural Wrote: Well that was basically the "episode 3 of Banshee" moment.

Watching it now and this entire episode is channeling the best of Banshee quite effectively.

Thank the stars we're definitely getting a second season.

oh...now I know what you're talking about.

Also: There's something about Jason Tobin's character's performance that really captures an anime aesthetic. I think it's the combination of being fairly small, looking fairly young looking, and yet pretty much destroys everyone with those knives.

I can dig it.
"Why did she do it?"

Finally saw last week's. That was fantastic.
(04-20-2019, 12:50 PM)isao kanemasa Wrote: I'm digging the budding relationship w/ Big Bill in particular. I sense a certain Shrimphead/Numbnuts type of chemistry perhaps.

Goddamn, Big Bill went from Numbnuts to Paul from BULLET IN THE HEAD in the latest episode.

(05-06-2019, 10:36 PM)ska oreo Wrote: Also: There's something about Jason Tobin's character's performance that really captures an anime aesthetic. I think it's the combination of being fairly small, looking fairly young looking, and yet pretty much destroys everyone with those knives.

Plus he looks like a Gorillaz character come to life. If they make a Young Jun McFarlane toy w/ those twin daggers (& the episode 5 Eastwood hat) I'm getting one.
I feel like I should wait until season 1 is done before going in on this!

I don't want to be disgruntled by tricky releases!!
Loved the meeting between bosses to close this past episode. Mainly how they both knew it was all bullshit.
(04-29-2019, 01:14 PM)ska oreo Wrote: I am curious to see what Lee's deal is...and I have to assume that the small hint of his, presumably black, lover is gong to be the main reason of why he got out of Georgia.

You win, but also w/ typical BANSHEE flair there were mass casualties.

I keep seeing Gerard Butler in Kieran Bew's Big Bill. Is it just me?
Loved pretty much everything about that episode. The Ah Sam/Bolo throwdown was great. My Ling showing just how ruthless she is. Lee's story and the bounty hunter's end result. Cunt losing fingers for being a cunt. All great stuff.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.