Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pop Culture Perfect Storms
So we have AVENGERS: ENDGAME and one of the most eagerly awaited episodes of GAME OF THRONES going on this weekend.  If you're into genre fare, this is an absolutely crazy weekend for you.  All anyone is talking about is AVENGERS and GOT right now...friends, family, coworkers, everyone.  Even people who don't care for either property are kinda caught up in the magnitude of the moment.  

I'm trying to remember the last time that we had such a big, crazy weekend where so many events were happening at the same time.  Can anyone else think of anything involving two or more properties at once causing such insanity?
(04-25-2019, 03:17 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: So we have AVENGERS: ENDGAME and one of the most eagerly awaited episodes of GAME OF THRONES going on this weekend.  If you're into genre fare, this is an absolutely crazy weekend for you.  All anyone is talking about is AVENGERS and GOT right now...friends, family, coworkers, everyone.  Even people who don't care for either property are kinda caught up in the magnitude of the moment.  

I'm trying to remember the last time that we had such a big, crazy weekend where so many events were happening at the same time.  Can anyone else think of anything involving two or more properties at once causing such insanity?

Huh.  I just had this exact conversation with a couple friends yesterday.  Just an absolutely amazing 3-4 day stretch of media, with Endgame, Game of Thrones, and if you want to tack on a few more things, the series finale of Gotham.  

Nuts.

(04-25-2019, 03:19 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 03:17 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: So we have AVENGERS: ENDGAME and one of the most eagerly awaited episodes of GAME OF THRONES going on this weekend.  If you're into genre fare, this is an absolutely crazy weekend for you.  All anyone is talking about is AVENGERS and GOT right now...friends, family, coworkers, everyone.  Even people who don't care for either property are kinda caught up in the magnitude of the moment.  

Huh.  I just had this exact conversation with a couple friends yesterday.  Just an absolutely amazing 3-4 day stretch of media, with Endgame, Game of Thrones, and if you want to tack on a few more things, the series finale of Gotham.  

Nuts.

My monthly D&D game is this Saturday.  I'm not sure how much actual 'gaming' we're gonna get done considering we're all going to want to just talk about ENDGAME and GOT.
In hindsight the weekend in June '84 was pretty big. Both Gremlins and Ghostbusters hit theatres.

But it doesn't hold a candle to this weekend.
Within the same week:  

Game of Thrones's [seemingly] biggest and/or most important episode.  
Endgame, the culmination of a 20+ film story arc.  
The series finale of Gotham.  
The last day(s) of what, by all accounts, was the largest/best year of the Coachella music festival (I've never been so I can't weigh in on that one).

What else has happened within this 7 day period!

(04-25-2019, 03:31 PM)JMurdoch Wrote: In hindsight the weekend in June '84 was pretty big.  Both Gremlins and Ghostbusters hit theatres.

But it doesn't hold a candle to this weekend.

I actually saw both those films in the theater opening week.  

First five movies I saw in the theater:  Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Temple of Doom (scared the shit out of me and I covered my eyes for wide stretches), Return of the Jedi, and E.T.

It was all downhill from there.

This Saturday is Free Comic Book Day AND Star Wars Day.
Just this guy, you know?
You know why I am the way I am?

Other than my father shaking me as a baby most likely?

Imagine being 8 years old and not knowing anything about what Indiana Jones is and vaguely Batman from the old Adam West show and one summer day, against my will, being taken to Last Crusade and Batman. I walked in a boy and exited a man. My parents didn't realize what a monster they'd created with that double whammy..
The weekend of June 10th, 1984, your top four at the box office was Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Temple of Doom and Search for Spock. You could have conceivably seen all four on the same day.
Just this guy, you know?
I wish I'd been old enough then in '84 to appreciate that..
(04-29-2019, 09:47 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: The weekend of June 10th, 1984, your top four at the box office was Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Temple of Doom and Search for Spock.  You could have conceivably seen all four on the same day.

By the same token, on June 25th, 1982, both BLADE RUNNER and Carpenter's THE THING opened and sank without fanfare.... due to a combo of the third weekend of E.T. or the fourth weekend of both POLTERGEIST and STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN.  

Summer of 82 was the SGT PEPPER of movie summers.
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
That scorches my sense of reality that June 25th 1982 had TWO titanic classics open that day and nobody noticed until decades later. What'd people think of those movies at the time? They just shrug em off? I just don't understand how those whiffed..
Well, my memory of it is very vague, as I was really little, but I was a huge Star Wars fan... and my older relatives who saw it at the time said it was no Star Wars. Which, I mean, no shit-- but they were definitely disappointed by it.

I wasn't cool enough to have The Thing on my radar as a 2nd grader.
It took a long time for people to come to grips with the fact that Blade Runner had no interest whatsoever in being another Star Wars. I can more see how that one confounded people in '82.

But The Thing? What the fuck? HOW......does that flop?
I remember The Thing getting terrible reviews at the time. Lots of "The original did it better without all the extraneous gore" takes.
Just this guy, you know?
THE THING also suffered from ET-backlash. Nobody wanted to see a movie about a horrific, murderous alien after seeing Spielberg's feel good classic.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
The idea of The Thing getting bad reviews is like some AU shit. Does not compute.

It's BETTER than ET!
Nobody wanted that kind of nihilism in Reagan's America.