Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supernatural Season 14 - 15: Hey God, It's me Jack
Figured since no one actually created one for 14 I decided to combine it with the Season 15 thread since it's the last hurrah for Sam and Dean.

If tonight's cliffhanger is any indication I'd say the Winchesters will be facing the ultimate monster next season. Wow.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I binged 14 over the course of a few days and honestly, it's probably one of my favorite seasons post-5. The multiple Big Bad angle (Michael, then Nick, then Jack, then GOD) really worked for me and I thought this season had some of the strongest MOTW episodes in years (The zombie couple, the cannibal god, the Kohonta, JOHN WAYNE GACY). I was especially impressed by the practical effects for the Kohonta. One of my biggest complaints of the later seasons is that most of the "monsters" are just regular dudes with fangs. Not this thing. It looked disgusting in the best way possible. It actually would've made a good X-Files monster. I also really dug the black skeleton version of Lucifer, although it was pretty funny when Jack bitch-slapped him back into the Empty. Speaking of Jack, I don't think this is the last time we'll see him. I have a feeling he, Death and The Shadow will team up with Team Free Will to take on God.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
That whole sequence at the end with all the past monsters they've killed coming back from Hell was so great. (BLOODY MARY!)

Going to be a wild ride next season!

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
I'm not sure exactly if the writers team knew next season would be the end when they came up with this season's finale, but it sure is a fitting one.  I dug the choice of Motorhead for the monster montage too.

And, yeah, this season was solid.  The quality varies year to year, but ramping up the stakes tends to help a lot.  The British Men of Letters stuff, for instance, was a bit of a snoozefest for me.  A big fight against God is much more interesting.
God (Chuck) doing a heel-turn and behaving impetuously at Sam and Dean's choice seemed really out of character. Amara must've been a really bad influence.
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
(05-15-2019, 01:12 AM)DerekM Wrote: God (Chuck) doing a heel-turn and behaving impetuously at Sam and Dean's choice seemed really out of character. Amara must've been a really bad influence.

Yeah it's slightly odd. Like yes Sam is technically right and sums up many people's feelings about God but I never got the feeling that God was petty. Still having god be the last big bad of the series is fucking brilliant. I imagine Amara would have to factor into this now. Also this would be a GREAT time to bring back their poor half brother. Also Jesse really needs to make an appearance. Ya know....the original anti-Christ? That has been such a weird loose plot thread. You would imagine they would have found a way to do something with him during this whole Jack situation.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I always found it weird that Adam got an acknowledgement on Supernatural's 200th musical episode but then got nary a mention afterwards. Jesse would be a great get but with God being our new "big bad" , I somehow doubt that thread will be revisited. Now that I think about it, it would be humorous if the Winchesters converted their enemies to join their side because Chuck wanted to watch a TV show. Good way to get The Trickster back into the fray as well.
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
I mean, I sort of took the implication of the heel-turn of God as he was always playing them. Essentially he was just manufacturing these situations for his own entertainment and that's all this world is, just a great TV show for him.

That could also mean Amara was simply his creation as well, and an attempt for a cameo for himself in his own story.

As the great prophet Lemmy said at the end "God Was Never On Your Side".

But yes, great season, great cliffhanger. Look forward to the final run.
(05-15-2019, 05:06 AM)flint Wrote: I mean, I sort of took the implication of the heel-turn of God as he was always playing them. Essentially he was just manufacturing these situations for his own entertainment and that's all this world is, just a great TV show for him.

That could also mean Amara was simply his creation as well, and an attempt for a cameo for himself in his own story.

As the great prophet Lemmy said at the end "God Was Never On Your Side".
Right but the problem is that the show didn't play it that way, not really. Every time he showed up it was to help and then leave hoping the earth would right itself because he still had some faith in his creations. Like I know the writer thing was played up once but not like this. At the end of the day I don't care that much because A) it's super cool and B) this show has already retconned and rewrote it's own rules so many fucking times that something like this is far from the worst sin. Hell the fact that Nick was still around after Lucifer was killed is such a big break from the rules.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
A little late, but I felt insulted by the finale here, where it seemed the audience was being represented by the God character so that Sam and Dean could yell at us for enjoying all the seasons over the years. And making God the bad guy? This is just stupid.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Considering the state of certain fandoms these days I think it's a nice on the nose twist.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
October 10th, the final season begins. 

I made it this far, so I'm seeing this to the bitter end.  Knowing it's their last run, I'm sure they'll go balls out... or at least as far as their budget will allow.  Should be fun.  Any word on Edlund or Kripke coming back for cameos behind the camera?  

-The Dexter Morgan of Assholes
God is evil now?

I came into this thread curious, but BOY I'm glad I stopped at 5.
(09-15-2019, 07:35 AM)freeman Wrote: God is evil now?

I came into this thread curious, but BOY I'm glad I stopped at 5.

Ohh he is such a dick. Also Chuck. Remember Chuck?
I think it's a fun twist!

Chuck was introduced as an all-powerful being... that likes writing trashy fanfic. He said way back then that he was on their side because they were, "his favorite story".

The show's version of God created Man simply to entertain him. Having that character turn nasty when they stop following his script doesn't strike me as a stretch.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Farsight is right. Chuck/God has never presented as a purely benevolent entity so his heel turn didn't come out of nowhere.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
I saw a promo pic of the guys. Sam's poor hairline. Sad Maybe he should consider a different style, the length in the back just emphasizes it.

Jensen Ackles looks just like he did 10 years ago. Dude has good genes.

I still need to finish season 5, I'm a little behind.
Supernatural has always been happy to do a little 4th wall breaking here and there, I particularly remember the episode where they fell through a wormhole thing and ended up in a dimension where they were actors in a show called Supernatural. But this Evil God thing feels like a poke in the eye too far. For a while there's been a sense of this all being dragged on for too long, with too many narrow escapes and everyone getting tired and worn down, and the impression I get is the show now basically wants to blame the fans for continuing to put them through all this.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
I disagree. From very early on, parallels were drawn between absentee fathers and God/Chuck. It's not out of character for him at all to "turn" like this.
Considering how dickish the Angels turned out it's not surprising their creator is the biggest dick in the multiverse.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
(09-16-2019, 08:10 PM)headless fett Wrote: Considering how dickish the Angels turned out it's not surprising their creator is the biggest dick in the multiverse.

Yeah, I was gonna bring that up as well.

Chuck had always been the weird outlier among the inhuman beings in the show. Nearly all the rest were dicks!

Honestly, once they decided to keep going after stopping Lucifer, and then kept going after stopping Lucifer, this became the pretty logical way to close the show. What other stakes could feel big enough?
Gamertag: Tweakee
The biggest missed opportunity post-season five in Supernatural was including H.P. Lovecraft (discarding him before the opening credits) and doing absolutely nothing in the Cthuhlu mythos. I'd give anything to watch a Cthuhlu vs. God showdown for the series finale. Or for Chris Walken to show up.
(09-16-2019, 10:48 PM)DerekM Wrote: The biggest missed opportunity post-season five in Supernatural was including H.P. Lovecraft (discarding him before the opening credits) and doing absolutely nothing in the Cthuhlu mythos.  I'd give anything to watch a Cthuhlu vs. God showdown for the series finale.  Or for Chris Walken to show up.

They probably looked at the budget to see if they could do something Cthulhu related and immediately went "Nope."

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
I always wanted Lovecraft's elder ones to be part of the bigger picture of SPN, but yeah... their budget was such that they even had to portray their dragons as just regular dudes with the occasional green eyes.

Still... a Shadow over Innsmouth or Dunwiich Horror themed episode would be do-able, and fit the tone of the show. Missed opportunity.

Also: I envy kyle, still having some "peak Supernatural" episodes left unseen. After wrapping season 5, it's safe to just cherry pick episodes from there on out.
Also they made their lovecraft creatures god's early mistake or whatever which I didn't like. I like that there are things outside of Christian god.
I remember being SOOOO excited about the possibility of Season 6 veering off into Lovecraft mythology. Would have been AWESOME.

I remember they kind of SORT of seemed to be going that way... But then I left.
(09-17-2019, 02:05 AM)freeman Wrote: I remember being SOOOO excited about the possibility of Season 6 veering off into Lovecraft mythology. Would have been AWESOME.

I remember they kind of SORT of seemed to be going that way... But then I left.

They sometimes had squid faces and draino hurt them.
Probably why I left.
(09-17-2019, 07:58 PM)freeman Wrote: Probably why I left.

They got inside Castiel once. That was of course until he became god for a while.