Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucasfilm's WILLOW starring Warwick Davis (Disney+)
Ron Howard: "There are some really serious discussions going on with Jon Kasdan, who was one of the writers of SOLO who kept hounding me about WILLOW the whole time we were shooting and also hounding Kathy Kennedy. We are in discussions about developing a WILLOW television show for the Disney+ and I think it'd be a great way to go. In fact, George always talked about the possibility of a WILLOW series, which he just felt, innately, would be great, more intimate, built around that character and some of the others and Jon Kasdan has, I think, an inspired take on it and it could be really, really cool. So fingers crossed."

Josh Horowitz: "And a continuation, not a reboot?"

Ron Howard: No, a continuation, continuation and Warwick would be in it."

https://twitter.com/joshuahorowitz/statu...9536270338

Awesome! MichaelM and I were just discussing how great Willow is (Neverending Story, too).

Hope it happens.

If Val Kilmer is in this I will buy Disney+ three times.
Quentin Tarantino directing a season of television is more likely than this.
home taping is killing music
(05-02-2019, 03:50 AM)Overlord Wrote: Awesome!  MichaelM and I were just discussing how great Willow is (Neverending Story, too).

Hope it happens.

[Image: jsbti.gif]
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I think it's possible! When you think about how Netflix would throw money at any old thing just so they could have 'content', I could imagine Disney throwing some of their infinite money pile at every IP they own that might keep people subscribing.
Elora Wakens

We already made that joke?

I'm sure we have. Val Kilmer will be in it just to get murdered by his son with Sorsha, Badmardigan. Dude'll probably where a skull mask too. The last shot will be Elora handing an old ass Willow his wand.

$1 billion WW!
Sounds like this is far from a sure thing, but I say why not?

Oh, and put me down for THE NEVERENDING STORY being great.  Yes, the out-of-control sentimentality is cringy to me now in a way it wasn't as a kid, but that movie works like crazy, rose-tinted glasses not required.
I think The Neverending Story is good. I like it a lot better than Willow. It's so 80s and has that sad sentimental air to it that makes a lot of 80s movie such as that feel better than they probably are but, whatever....I still like it..
Willow's an ideal property for something like this. Just enough quality worldbuilding and nostalgia to build around but flawed enough to be worth taking a shot at with better execution.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
On the other hand, if they don't keep those STAR WARS transitional wipes, they have failed the property.
More Star Wars, more Indy, why not more Willow? Fuck it. I want as much as they're willing to make. Give it to me! At least five SW movies a decade. Bring it on.

"I want it all!"
"I want it ALL-L!"
"yeah yeeeeah"
"I WANT IT ALLLLL!"
" ...and I want it NOW!"
Most important question: who gets cast in Joanne Whalley's role for the reboot of WILLOW?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

You know, Kasdan is probably as good a choice as any, but if this thing goes forward I hope they involve Bob Dolman.  The little bit of SCTV he managed to infect the original film with went a long way to give personality to a movie that otherwise might not have held together.  Few things make me shudder more than the idea of the WILLOW universe deprived of its quirks.
They should put Davis in a supporting role and make it about grown up Elora Daan.

You know, to piss the Willow fanboys off.
That's exactly what the Willow novels (written by Chris Claremont (!) ) are about!
It's also kind of what I assumed would happen. Willow returned to his village a bonafide sorcerer, so it makes sense that he would replace the Billy Barty character and be a Yoda-like figure for whatever big adventure unfolds.
(05-02-2019, 10:21 AM)atomtastic Wrote: That's exactly what the Willow novels (written by Chris Claremont (!) ) are about!

Oh, I know, friend. I know.
Bring on Thorn Drumheller!
I hope they deliberately do nothing to improve the green screen effect for the Brownies, for the sake of consistency.
I hope they don't have no brownies. Why we gotta have littler people than the already little people?
As will surprise no one, I fucking hate those brownies.

Kevin Pollack had a great story on some podcast about how he invited his father to the WILLOW set, and he introduced himself to George Lucas by saying how much he loved E.T.
(05-02-2019, 10:37 AM)MichaelM Wrote: As will surprise no one, I fucking hate those brownies.

I wish somebody had a tape of Trump saying this same thing..
What with Game of Thrones being the biggest show on the planet fantasy is so hot right now. This is going to be huge.
(05-02-2019, 10:25 AM)boone daniels Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 10:21 AM)atomtastic Wrote: That's exactly what the Willow novels (written by Chris Claremont (!) ) are about!

Oh, I know, friend. I know.

Oof.  I remember wandering through a bookstore in 1994 (or 1995?) and seeing a new fantasy hardcover with the names "George Lucas" and "Chris Claremont" on the cover as joint authors.  Fuck yeah I'm buying that!

Got it home, eagerly opened it and dove right in.  By the first page its clear that I'm holding a sequel to Willow.  I threw the book away from me as quickly as possible, with a grunt of disgust.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(05-02-2019, 03:45 PM)Bucho Wrote: What with Game of Thrones being the biggest show on the planet fantasy is so hot right now. This is going to be huge.

I mean, it would be hilarious if this somehow penetrates the zeitgeist or finds more success than Amazon's eight trillion dollar Middle Earth gambit.
That Claremont story was a tremendous disappointment.

I remember reading it fresh off the triumphant Heir to the Empire novel by Zahn and expecting a repeat of that magic. Egads.

I've been assuming that Bucho was funnin' with us re: WILLOW scratching that GAME OF THRONES itch. Because no way something that safe and derivative is going to fill the void left by sisterfucking and hero head-smooshing.

Pfft. THRONES can take a seat until its dragons resemble scrotoms.

Eborsisk > Drogon
(05-02-2019, 06:11 PM)MichaelM Wrote: I've been assuming that Bucho was funnin' with us re: WILLOW scratching that GAME OF THRONES itch. Because no way something that safe and derivative is going to fill the void left by sisterfucking and hero head-smooshing.

I mean, if they gave me fifty million bucks to do this, I'd deliberately go in the opposite direction, and do something with stakes and weight, but also doesn't have the darkness and intensity of GAME OF THRONES. I think "STRANGER THINGS, but fantasy" (at which case, why are you not just making something like RAT QUEENS?) that evokes stuff like WILLOW, LABYRINTH, DRAGONSLAYER, the movie where Rutger Hauer is a wolf and Michelle Pfeiffer is a bird, PRINCESS BRIDE, all that would clean up.
Sure. I didn't mean that a successor would have to be essentially a clone. But it likely would have to have more weight and stakes than something like Willow - and more importantly, have a distinct hook and flavor. Which WILLOW assuredly does not have.

My biggest WILLOW-related memory is that I got a plastic cup from a kids meal at Wendy's and when you put a drink in it the temperature change made the fairies or something appear in the artwork.

Having a slow morning at work today, btw.
(05-03-2019, 09:46 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Sure. I didn't mean that a successor would have to be essentially a clone. But it likely would have to have more weight and stakes than something like Willow - and more importantly, have a distinct hook and flavor. Which WILLOW assuredly does not have.

I think any hook would also have to be visual. Like, so much of contemporary fantasy in film is informed by Alan Lee and the look of LOTR and the grit of Thrones, I'd almost go for a "fantasy paperback" look with lots of bright browns, soft lighting, shit like that. Kind of like how PRINCESS BRIDE has moments where it's obviously on a set, but it works.
(05-03-2019, 10:26 AM)Misfit Wrote: My biggest WILLOW-related memory is that I got a plastic cup from a kids meal at Wendy's and when you put a drink in it the temperature change made the fairies or something appear in the artwork.

The arcade game was legit.