Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (2019) Post-Release Discussion
I just got out of this and am still processing it but here are a few random thoughts:

1. LOTS of great set pieces. The library, the knife-throwing scene, the samurai sword motorcycle battle. Ironically, the gunplay sections were the weakest parts of the movie for me. After a while it just became noise. Give me hand-to-hand combat over a shootout any day.

2. The movie turns into Suspiria for a little bit, which I thought was funny. Now I kind of want to see the Baba Yaga fight actual witches.

3. I really wasn't a fan of Halle Berry in this or the whole Casablanca section for that matter. It just didn't do it for me.

4. As far as villains go, I thought this was a step above part 2. While I liked Ruby Rose and Common, the main villain from that movie was a bore. I remember next to nothing about him. Here we get Mark Dacascos, who's clearly having a lot of fun as the fanboy sushi chef assassin. I also dug Asia Kate Dillon as The Adjudicator. Very fetch. I couldn't help but think of her as "Samara," given the seven-day deadline she gives everyone. Still, nothing tops Nyqvist and Winters from the original.

5. That ending.....I certainly wasn't expecting that.

To sum it all up in the words of one of the villains, "Cool. Very cool."
“Fabulosity incarnate stands before you; show some goddamn respect.
I don't know, I thought the gunfight with Wick and Sofia and the dogs was pretty great.

I'm a little torn on the ending, but I think it's because I was expecting something else than what we got. I was thinking we'd have something a little more ... final. But that's about my only quibble with this.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
So great. Dacascos was wonderful. Glad to see more of Reddick this time.
Fucking loved it. That was a bigass Happy Meal. I hope Keanu, Stahelski, Kolstad and Laustsen keep churning these out forever.

I don't know why but just seeing the Raid guys standing next to Angelica Huston in the theater brought the biggest smile to my face.

Still buzzing an hour later. Times like this I wish I hadn't quit smoking.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
I got burnt out on the headshot-o-ramas the last movie, so I knew I was already operating from there with Part 3. So I’m glad there was good knife and grappling action along with some wonderful dogs.

But this was still cool! Gorgeously shot once again as well. The novelty is long gone, but Dacascos was wonderful and it’s great to see The Raid guys slimming it slowly with Keanu.

I thought Berry acquitted herself well in the action department. I was skeptical based on how unconvincing she was back in DIE ANOTHER DAY.

I only ended up seeing the second movie once. This will be the same.
Chapter 2 shows up a lot on cable and I keep tuning in while channel surfing. I think I've seen it over a dozen times. Love that one too.

I love that they armored up the bus dudes at the end and Wick had to keep shooting them in their necks. When he flipped open that one dude's visor to get at him I LOL'ed.
A fine acting debut from Boban Marjanovic. Took that book-whooping like a pro.
(05-17-2019, 02:47 AM)Alt-molt Wrote: A fine acting debut from Boban Marjanovic. Took that book-whooping like a pro.

He reminded me of Jaws from the Bond movies. 

Turns out that was intentional.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/05/14/john-wi...ames-bond/
It was also nice to see that Bronn made out all right for himself.

----------

It never quite hits the same level of zaniness as the knife museum (store, whatevs) fight, but I loved it.

I was hoping he would wake up in the desert to Alex Winter, but aside from that, near perfection.
I'm not Avery.
This was hella fun.  Yo it’s credit, I think John Wick 3 mixes the gun play up (like with those good doggos) just enough to be fresh.

I thought Halle Berry was fine in this, but was surprised at how much she was able to keep up with Reeves in the Casablanca set piece

SO MANY GOOD DOGGOS!

Also would it be wrong of me to see JW3 less as a full sequel, and more as an overlong 3rd(4th?) aft for John Wick 2.  Since this one seems even more determined to move from set piece to set piece.  Though I’m not complaining.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Loved it. Knife fight early on was my highlight but it was overall very entertaining. This is much more balanced than Chapter 2.
My only quibble is that the final fight went on a little long, but otherwise, this was another stellar entry in this series.

Also, The Adjudicator seemed obviously like it was originally written for Carrie Ann Moss, right? That was practically Trinity cosplay.
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
(05-17-2019, 11:26 PM)ratty Wrote: My only quibble is that the final fight went on a little long, but otherwise, this was another stellar entry in this series.  

Also, The Adjudicator seemed obviously like it was originally written for Carrie Ann Moss, right?  That was practically Trinity cosplay.

Oh shit.  You’re totally right.
"Why did she do it?"

We better see some big ballers on the high table.
I'm not Avery.
Yes, like Pantoliano.
Alex Winter
hugo weaving too obvious?
I must also say, the two RAID guys would have mopped the floor with Wick. I mean, come on.

(05-18-2019, 12:01 AM)Nooj Wrote: hugo weaving too obvious?

William Sadler
A high table made up of previous Keanu bad guys would be fun. Too bad Dennis Hopper and Patrick Swayze are gone.
(05-18-2019, 12:01 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: I must also say, the two RAID guys would have mopped the floor with Wick.  I mean, come on.

oh yeah

I mean, if you'd seen them in either of the Raid movies they were featured in, you know they were going at least half the speed they usually go in Gareth Evans' movies

GOOD SPORTS!
Crispin Glover and/or Daniel Roebuck would satisfy me greatly.
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
I half expected to see Dacascos limp out past Winston with that sword still inside him.

"Hey John. Good fight huh?"
I kept waiting for Cassian to show up, but considering these films are all taking place within a few days of each other, he likely still has a knife in his aorta.

----------

(05-18-2019, 12:01 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: I must also say, the two RAID guys would have mopped the floor with Wick.  I mean, come on.

(05-18-2019, 12:01 AM)Nooj Wrote: hugo weaving too obvious?

William Sadler

I think the film recognizes this and it’s clearly shown that he’s having trouble keeping up with them.  But it’s clear the film respects them as martial artists, so it lets them have that extended fight scene.
"Why did she do it?"

Overall I liked this, good to see Mark Dacascos get a meaty role again, but will agree that I was expecting more finality than we got.

Biggest disappointment for me was it seemed to be heading towards that finality when Winston suggested that Wick was either going to remain the Baba Yaga (monster) or live up to the person his late wife fell in love with. At that point I started to well up thinking it was bringing it back around to who Wick was at the start of the first movie. Then it didn't really do anything with that instead going with a double cross and allowing the franchise to continue. Felt a little bit like a missed opportunity.
PSN ID: Numbix2017
(05-17-2019, 11:26 PM)ratty Wrote: My only quibble is that the final fight went on a little long, but otherwise, this was another stellar entry in this series.  

Also, The Adjudicator seemed obviously like it was originally written for Carrie Ann Moss, right?  That was practically Trinity cosplay.

I wish it had been.  Dillon didn't make much of an impression.  Dacascos was terrific, and in the end the film sorely needed his deadpan humour.

Dacascos was legit. Loved him sitting next to Wick like that at the Continental. In a just world, this movie would finally give him a shot at leading man material.
“I’m more of a cat person.”

This is gonna be a boon for Dacascos. Not necessarily in mainstream films but he’ll be wanted in the high-end VOD/international action market. Big improvement over what he has been doing the last 10 years or so.
(05-18-2019, 12:41 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: “I’m more of a cat person.”

This is gonna be a boon for Dacascos. Not necessarily in mainstream films but he’ll be wanted in the high-end VOD/international action market. Big improvement over what he has been doing the last 10 years or so.

Yeah...like him going from traditional Japanese assassin, to yakuza thug, to fawning fanboy in mere seconds was something to behold.
"Why did she do it?"

He’s the best villain this series has had. That was a big weakness in the second film so I’m glad they upgraded nicely in this one.
No one was really a villian though. Like you could make the interpretation that it's really John that's the asshole here.

Everyone is just doing their jobs, and the people who help him, pay for it.
"Why did she do it?"

I can't remember exactly what was going on with the villain in the second one, but I recall him coming across like a villain. Didn't he hire John only to screw him over?

And of course, the punk that killed his dog was villainous in the first movie. Along with Palicki being a villain because she flagrantly broke the rules.

But in the third, I'd agree that there was no VILLAINOUS villain. Only antagonists. It's simply that world operating as it's supposed to. A world of loyal assholes, of which John is a major one.
(05-18-2019, 01:39 PM)Nooj Wrote: I can't remember exactly what was going on with the villain in the second one, but I recall him coming across like a villain.  Didn't he hire John only to screw him over?

Yuup.  Hires him to kill his sister so he can take seat of the hight table, and then tries to kill him.
"Why did she do it?"

I would love to have seen Dacascos survive and become Cato to Wick's Clouseau.

That knife in Tiger Chen's eye though. That's some fucking Fulci shit.