Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wandering Earth
Because dammit, the third highest grossing film of the year (so far) deserves a dedicated thread.   In a nutshell, the movie is the best Roland Emmerich movie ever made by someone not named Roland Emmerich.   It's like the Chinese Propaganda ministry saw 2012 and said, "Fuck your movie.   Not epic enough.   We're going to make Earth a damn spaceship."   It's basically China's first stab at a blockbuster movie and for $50 million, it looks like something 3 times the budget.   Gorgeous looking film with the kind of character work in Independence Day (well, maybe not THAT good but better than others).   The science is hand wavy and stupid and there is a good bit of propaganda in there but it's worth checking out and it's available on Netflix.   Also, there's a scene where a dude fires a machine gun at Jupiter in impotent rage.   So it has that going for it.   Glorious stupidity.   The kind Hollywood doesn't make any more.

(05-17-2019, 03:26 PM)ChrisW Wrote: In a nutshell, the movie is the best Roland Emmerich movie ever made by someone not named Roland Emmerich.

Exactly my thought as I watched it.  It's every bit as hokey and cliched and implausible as 2012, but sheer enthusiasm makes up for a lot.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I think this had the spirit of an Emmerich/Bay/etc movie, but it lacked the goofy/striking characters that made the best of those movies really fun.

As such, I found this a pretty solid watch in the theater for its sci-fi fantasy elements.
It's certainly not lacking for a unique concept.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
oh shit, this is on Netflix NOW????
I saw this in the theater and was bored to death.

I am writing this from beyond the grave.
Watched this on Netflix last week. Surprised I hadn't ever heard the main character is dressed up like Mario before seeing this. Weirdly it feels like the Mario movie was somewhat an inspiration for this movie, which isn't exactly something you expect going into any movie really. 

It's funny because as much as I've seen Emmerich's name thrown around with this, the stuff I thought of while watching it was stuff like Mario, Sunshine, 2001, and Oblivion.

It's got some cool imagines here and there, and I found it mostly enjoyable.
When do we get the Gerald Butler remake?
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones