Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOCUMENTARIES ON THE FILM BUSINESS
Just thinking about how interesting some of the recent documentaries that I watched have been.  Stuff like... 
THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES: WHAT HAPPENED? (2015): A look at the legendary aborted Tim Burton/Nicolas Cage Superman film.
THE AMERICAN DREAMER (1971): On the making of (and unusual lives surrounding) Dennis Hopper's THE LAST MOVIE.
DREW: THE MAN BEHIND THE POSTER (2013): Portrait of the great film poster artist of BACK TO THE FUTURE, THE THING, etc.
...and I have one called SENSE OF SCALE (2011) about those makers of classic film miniature effects sequences from GHOSTBUSTERS, THE TERMINATOR and more.

What are some of your favorite docs about filmmaking?  Be it foreign, domestic, blockbuster, indie or backyard.  Let's hear about 'em.

Here's one I've been wanting to revisit for some time...

Under Pressure: Making The Abyss
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Jodorowsky’s Dune is a must!
78/52 - really engaging doc on Psycho’s shower scene.
DePalma - DePalma gives a guided tour of his filmography.
Burden of Dreams - mesmerizing account of Herzog’s insane Fitzcarraldo production.
Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse - An essential doc on the making of Apocalypse Now.
Here are a few that I think are particularly worthwhile...

UNIVERSAL HORROR (1998) - About the Golden Age of horror films from Universal in the 1920s through 1940s. Narrated by Kenneth Branagh.

THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE (2002) - Chronicles the career of megaproducer/exec Robert Evans, centering on his days running Paramount.

DIAL H FOR HITCHCOCK (1999) - Produced for the 100th anniversary of Hitchcock’s birth, this is a fairly (but not completely) exhaustive look at Hitch’s filmography, with interviews from actors and collaborators he worked with, and also filmmakers (like Brian De Palma) who were influenced.

THE MAKING OF “JAWS” (1995) - Still one of the great making-of docs. Truly comprehensive, filled with stories that have since become legendary.

MGM: WHEN THE LION ROARS (1992) - Made for television as a kind of miniseries, this is absolutely essential for fans of classic Hollywood, the studio system, and MGM in particular. It’s hours and hours long, though, but well worth the commitment.

WAKING SLEEPING BEAUTY (2009) - A look at arguably the most pivotal period in the history of the Disney company, from the “Dark Times” of the late 1970s/early 1980s through the Renaissance of the late ‘80s into the early 1990s.

THE SWEATBOX (2002) - Officially unreleased, but very much worth tracking down online (it can be found) because it’s an extraordinarily frank and unvarnished look at the day-to-day process of crafting an animated film for Disney.

I will also strongly second the recommendations of UNDER PRESSURE and HEARTS OF DARKNESS.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I still dig the one for PHANTOM MENACE a lot.

It stands out as being just an hour of well-edited footage with no talking heads or narration. That's pretty cool.