Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOCUMENTARIES ON THE FILM BUSINESS
Just thinking about how interesting some of the recent documentaries that I watched have been.  Stuff like... 
THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES: WHAT HAPPENED? (2015): A look at the legendary aborted Tim Burton/Nicolas Cage Superman film.
THE AMERICAN DREAMER (1971): On the making of (and unusual lives surrounding) Dennis Hopper's THE LAST MOVIE.
DREW: THE MAN BEHIND THE POSTER (2013): Portrait of the great film poster artist of BACK TO THE FUTURE, THE THING, etc.
...and I have one called SENSE OF SCALE (2011) about those makers of classic film miniature effects sequences from GHOSTBUSTERS, THE TERMINATOR and more.

What are some of your favorite docs about filmmaking?  Be it foreign, domestic, blockbuster, indie or backyard.  Let's hear about 'em.

Here's one I've been wanting to revisit for some time...

Under Pressure: Making The Abyss
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Jodorowsky’s Dune is a must!
78/52 - really engaging doc on Psycho’s shower scene.
DePalma - DePalma gives a guided tour of his filmography.
Burden of Dreams - mesmerizing account of Herzog’s insane Fitzcarraldo production.
Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse - An essential doc on the making of Apocalypse Now.
Here are a few that I think are particularly worthwhile...

UNIVERSAL HORROR (1998) - About the Golden Age of horror films from Universal in the 1920s through 1940s. Narrated by Kenneth Branagh.

THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE (2002) - Chronicles the career of megaproducer/exec Robert Evans, centering on his days running Paramount.

DIAL H FOR HITCHCOCK (1999) - Produced for the 100th anniversary of Hitchcock’s birth, this is a fairly (but not completely) exhaustive look at Hitch’s filmography, with interviews from actors and collaborators he worked with, and also filmmakers (like Brian De Palma) who were influenced.

THE MAKING OF “JAWS” (1995) - Still one of the great making-of docs. Truly comprehensive, filled with stories that have since become legendary.

MGM: WHEN THE LION ROARS (1992) - Made for television as a kind of miniseries, this is absolutely essential for fans of classic Hollywood, the studio system, and MGM in particular. It’s hours and hours long, though, but well worth the commitment.

WAKING SLEEPING BEAUTY (2009) - A look at arguably the most pivotal period in the history of the Disney company, from the “Dark Times” of the late 1970s/early 1980s through the Renaissance of the late ‘80s into the early 1990s.

THE SWEATBOX (2002) - Officially unreleased, but very much worth tracking down online (it can be found) because it’s an extraordinarily frank and unvarnished look at the day-to-day process of crafting an animated film for Disney.

I will also strongly second the recommendations of UNDER PRESSURE and HEARTS OF DARKNESS.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I still dig the one for PHANTOM MENACE a lot.

It stands out as being just an hour of well-edited footage with no talking heads or narration. That's pretty cool.
I watched Jim and Andy last night. Its about Jim Carrey's method acting performance as Andy Kaufman. In short it did make things difficult for everyone he was working with.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
These are all good.

- Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession - If you haven't seen this one, don't watch the trailer for it. 

- Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff

- Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation!

- The Typewriter, the Rifle & the Movie Camera - Documenty on the life and films of Samuel Fuller.

- American Grindhouse

- Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films

- Machete Maidens Unleashed!

- Women He's Undressed

- Milius

- "American Masters" You Must Remember This: The Warner Bros. Story
My favourite remains AMERICAN MOVIE.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
The Phantom Menace one wins for Rickallum's face after that first screening, alone. THAT'S harsh. Even if I've come around on the film in a weird way in the 20 (TWENTY!) years since....no one can deny that Lucasfilm was having a come to Jesus moment by leaving that shot in there. It's not just a fluff piece.

Lucas: "Well, as you can see it's not perfect. We've got some things to iron out.."

Rick: *thinking to himself* "Thank god I don't have a gun right now. I'd eat that barrel like it came from Quizno's.."
2012 Docu about the film vs. digital r-evolution

w/Keanu!

Side by Side

I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
I don't like (except for TPM doc) docs about the making of specific films. I like docs about film as a whole or the history of film of certain film's places in history.

Empire of Dreams is a good example. So is the amazing Blade Runner doc.

I'll have to check out that MGM one.

Anybody got any others of that type to suggest?
Final Cut: The Making & Unmaking of Heaven's Gate is pretty great and holds no punches about how Goddamn nuts Michael Ciminio was. And it has a nice balance with those who criticize his actions like Steven Bach (who desperately wants to make himself look competent since this all happened on his watch), those who defend Ciminio like Kris Kristofferson and the Assistant Editor and those who just say what they saw and don't appear to take sides like Brad Dourif.

The real ending to Big...
To back up some of you, MILIUS, AMERICAN MOVIE, and SIDE BY SIDE are all also very good.

I've never seen FINAL CUT, but that's going to change soon!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(05-28-2019, 04:51 AM)simbob Wrote: These are all good.

- Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession - If you haven't seen this one, don't watch the trailer for it. 

- Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff

- Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation!

- The Typewriter, the Rifle & the Movie Camera - Documenty on the life and films of Samuel Fuller.

- American Grindhouse

- Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films

- Machete Maidens Unleashed!

- Women He's Undressed

- Milius

- "American Masters" You Must Remember This: The Warner Bros. Story

Not Quite Holywood and Electric Boogaloo are a lot of fun. I think Not Quite Hollywood is still on Tubi.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
I have to see this!
[video=youtube]http://[/video]
I don’t know if BEST WORST MOVIE counts...

but it’s great!
There's a moment in Hearts of Darkness that my best friend and I still laugh hysterically over.

Coppola is throwing this lavish party with celebrities all over the place and he is playing the crowd. Real life of the party... and off to the side is George Lucas (post-American Graffiti, possibly pre-Star Wars). Talking to nobody, all by his lonesome and he suddenly realizes Coppola's wife is filming him. He gives the funniest "Deer in the headlights" look.

The real ending to Big...
(05-29-2019, 07:30 AM)Nooj Wrote: I don’t know if BEST WORST MOVIE counts...

but it’s great!

Oh, I forgot about that one. That one is really good.
No mention of OVERNIGHT, the doc about how Boondock Saints director Troy Duffy tripped over his dick and ruined his directing career?

Definitely worth a watch as a cautionary tale at the very least.
I can't believe I only just remembered this one.

Visions of Light: The Art of Cinematography

The whole docu is on Youtube but it seems wrong to watch it there.
I can at least recommend ELECTRIC BOOGALOO. It's damn fascinating and at times both hilarious and cringe-inducing.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(05-29-2019, 09:54 AM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: There's a moment in Hearts of Darkness that my best friend and I still laugh hysterically over.

Coppola is throwing this lavish party with celebrities all over the place and he is playing  the crowd. Real life of the party... and off to the side is George Lucas (post-American Graffiti, possibly pre-Star Wars). Talking to nobody, all by his lonesome and he suddenly realizes Coppola's wife is filming him. He gives the funniest "Deer in the headlights" look.

That whole movie is pretty funny for me.  I can't help but laugh whenever FFC goes off on a rant about something, but the recording of him dealing with Sheen's heart attack was particularly funny.

'If Marty dies, I wanna hear that everything's ok.'