Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
True Lies - A Disney+ Original Series from McG
You didn’t hallucinate this thread title.

http://collider.com/true-lies-tv-show-disney-plus/

You would think this would be a Hulu project, considering how it’s based on a hard-R action movie that has more dick jokes than Coachella giving Andrew Dice Clay an entire weekend of stage time. You would think they would’ve abandoned this idea when it was announced years ago. You would think in today’s climate, and considering the sequel basically got killed by 9/11, this wouldn’t fly anywhere.

Instead of an asshole like a ten year old boy, we now must suffer with the work of an asshole making a show for ten year old boys.

I hope at the very least we finally get a fucking Blu-ray of this. That or get Jim Cameron to stage an intervention on a day off from his Na’vi job.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Gonna assume they'll be looking for a different stunt coordinator.
Tom Arnold must be ecstatic.
True Lies was PG-13, but yes, I would agree it feels more Hulu than Disney.
I'm not Avery.
Way too late for this. Pass.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I hope it has the staying power of a Tom Arnold announcement.

(05-20-2019, 04:48 PM)first class 782 Wrote: True Lies was PG-13, but yes, I would agree it feels more Hulu than Disney.

Then how do you explain the entire Bill Paxton subplot, or Jamie Lee Curtis dancing for Schwarzenegger like it’s Al Bundy’s birthday at the Jiggly Room?

It’s a pretty damn hard R.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I could have sworn it was PG-13, but the poster says "R." Pretty tame for an R-rated film, even with the big dance scene.
I'm not Avery.
It was R enough. I still love this movie. If I don't need a sequel then I certainly don't need this. But at least release the movie on a newer format....PLEASE?

This is pointless though. Without Arnold, Jamie Lee and.......Arnold. It's just not the same. It's funny how a movie this....MASSIVE was just a lark for Cameron. Like, it dwarfed (and kinda still does) most action movies in budget, scale, stunts and this was his little "I think I'll do this for shits and giggles" movie. S'why I'll never not look forward to a Cameron movie..
I also still love True Lies!
Same.

God help me but Tom Arnold is legit funny/great in this.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
We are legion!

This is top ten (maybe five) action film of the 90s. Summer of 94 was all about this and Speed.

Cameron can make Tom Arnold likeable. He can do anything..
I was 8 years old when I saw True Lies in the theater and man was it a religious experience. Speed was also fucking great and doesn’t get enough love. It’s right up there with Die Hard as far as action movies go, imo.
I've always felt that. Cliffhanger and Speed were the REAL best Die Hard sequels. They both captured that...whatever....better than all of them except MAYBE Die Hard 2. But as far as Harlin films go, I prefer Cliffhanger to DH2..
Have any of you seen McG's Netflix film THE BABYSITTER? That was good fun. I'd like to see him bring that kind of energy to this.
SPEED and TRUE LIES may have been great action films that summer, but neither of them had anything to do with locating Curly's gold.
The only thing I recall about City Slickers 2 was that the preview seemed to be before every single movie and that once it was released, it was at our local theater for what felt like forever. I swear it was six months..
Jesus Christ, Molt with the swerve joke.

I love True Lies. Saw a 35mm print last summer. But I admit this: as good of an Arnold movie as it is, he's outgunned by Jamie Lee, Tom Arnold, and Paxton. Expert supporting cast. I attribute the un-PC elements to being satire on Cameron's part... it's almost as if he felt he had a more ridiculous idea for Schwarzenegger to parody himself than Last Action Hero, and True Lies is a better structured, overall film.

I'd say it's on the back half of Cameron's golden decade, and I definitely put Total Recall and Predator and Commando in front of it, but it's a top Arnold for me. No directors have gotten his persona better than Jim Cameron or Verhoeven.

In terms of action movies in the 90's? It's stiff competition, I mean:

Face/Off
Hard Boiled
T2
Total Recall
Speed
Mission: Impossible
The Fugitive
GoldenEye
The Last Boy Scout
Cliffhanger
Ronin
The Long Kiss Goodnight
Point Break
Darkman

True Lies is probably among that top crop somewhere, but the 90's, from the Planet Hollywood guys to Hong Kong to prestige TV adaptations to the early Seagal and Van Damme stuff to fucking Heat, is literal fried gold for action.
I really ought to get around to the original sometime; just snagged the LD from the local thrift store recently, so it's really just a matter of sitting down with it.
No one remembers The Professional (sorry, Leon) from 1994.

I saw True Lies as a college kid, having grown up with Cameron films, as The Terminator was the first R-rated film I begged my parents to rent from the Video Store. I'm still a Cameron devotee, and True Lies sort of sits there as this weird aside for the director, as fraid states above. It is absolutely one of the GREAT action movies, though, in a great decade for action filmmaking. I put it in the top shelf of Arnold films, below the classics like Predator and Conan, but ahead of the cheesier entries like Red Heat and even the immortal Commando.

As for a television show, nah. By McG? Double nah. True Lies was a one-off, a product of its time.
I'm not Avery.
(05-21-2019, 02:10 AM)serpico jones Wrote: Speed was also fucking great and doesn’t get enough love. It’s right up there with Die Hard as far as action movies go, imo.

While I agree SPEED is good and often underrated, it is in no way as good as DIE HARD.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(05-21-2019, 03:06 AM)huntertarantino Wrote: Jesus Christ, Molt with the swerve joke.

I love True Lies. Saw a 35mm print last summer. But I admit this: as good of an Arnold movie as it is, he's outgunned by Jamie Lee, Tom Arnold, and Paxton. Expert supporting cast. I attribute the un-PC elements to being satire on Cameron's part... it's almost as if he felt he had a more ridiculous idea for Schwarzenegger to parody himself than Last Action Hero, and True Lies is a better structured, overall film.

I'd say it's on the back half of Cameron's golden decade, and I definitely put Total Recall and Predator and Commando in front of it, but it's a top Arnold for me. No directors have gotten his persona better than Jim Cameron or Verhoeven.

In terms of action movies in the 90's? It's stiff competition, I mean:

Face/Off
Hard Boiled
T2
Total Recall
Speed
Mission: Impossible
The Fugitive
GoldenEye
The Last Boy Scout
Cliffhanger
Ronin
The Long Kiss Goodnight
Point Break
Darkman

True Lies is probably among that top crop somewhere, but the 90's, from the Planet Hollywood guys to Hong Kong to prestige TV adaptations to the early Seagal and Van Damme stuff to fucking Heat, is literal fried gold for action.

Not to get all technical and whatnot, but THE GODDAMNED MATRIX came out in 1999...

Richard Dickson:  No, it's just that people don't understand the history and struggle of the English language, or else they'd use it properly. They're anti-semantic.
There's a lot left off that list. I don't think the first Mission Impossible is on par with any of those. I'd put US Marshals on there before I'd put it.

And speaking of which..

BLADE

and PREDATOR 2!
I always love the story that Arnold brought the script to James and said 'here, let's make this.'
Yeah. I like that too. Cameron said it intrigued him because it was the first time Arnold had ever expressed interest in making something solely due to wanting to play that character..
But Tom Arnold said we were getting True Lies 2!
As soon as they're finished filming the surefire blockbusters Batman & Robin and Carpool respectively, last I heard..
(05-21-2019, 12:06 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I always love the story that Arnold brought the script to James and said 'here, let's make this.'

There's a better story where Schwarzenegger was late to set in D.C. because he was sightseeing and Cameron chewed him out: "Do you want to get Paul Verhoeven to finish this motherfucker?!"

I'm paraphrasing.
(05-20-2019, 04:41 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Gonna assume they'll be looking for a different stunt coordinator.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4217763]

The 90s were a golden age of blockbuster action movies.

Now we have to wait two years for John Wick sequels.

Hell, the '90s had three Keanu Reeves blockbusters that are better than any of the John Wick movies.
A WALK IN THE CLOUDS was alright but I don't know about all that.
How dare you?!?

I saw that in the theater.
When the vineyard catches on fire? I was wrecked.
He leaps through a wall of flames!
Aitana Sánchez-Gijón is luminous in that and absolutely entranced me for the entire film.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear