Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvel's THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER (Disney+)
Starring Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson, Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes, Emily VanCamp as Sharon Carter and Daniel Brühl as Helmut Zemo. Kari Skogland (THE AMERICANS, BOARDWALK EMPIRE, THE HANDMAID'S TALE, HOUSE OF CARDS, PENNY DREADFUL, THE PUNISHER, VIKINGS) is set to direct all six episodes of the miniseries that drops August 2020 on Disney+.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/kari-skogla...202619197/
I honestly don't know that I care about these guys in and of themselves. They're going to have to win me over a little bit without Steve.
THIS is what they're doing?

I was hoping for a Captain America 4 with Sam Wilson as Cap. Surely if Ross will give that super soldier shot to someone like fucking Blonsky, he'd do it for Wilson too.

After the way they treated the other Marvel series I'm gonna have a tough time not just sticking to the MCU movies..
Kevin Feige is producing this, has said these directly tie into the movies and are officially a part of Phase 4. For all intents and purposes, treat this with the same weight as a MCU film.
Aren't Agents of Shield and all that as well?

I'm sorry but this is just NOT going to be like a movie. I was really hoping for another something that felt like Winter Soldier. I guess we'll see though..
AGENTS OF SHIELD is produced by Jeph Loeb and Marvel Television. Kevin Feige has nothing to do with it. It's considered to be in the MCU (with appearances by Stan Lee, Sam Jackson as Nicky Fury, Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter, Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill, Jaimie Alexander as Lady Sif and Maximiliano Hernández as Jasper Sitwell), but the films have yet to definitively reference it. FALCON & WINTER SOLDIER is being made by Marvel Studios and will tie-in to the upcoming films.
Wait a minute, so for me to fully enjoy SHANG-CHI without getting lost I'm gonna have to watch this show? This whole Phase 4 is turning rotten before it even starts.
Just give me films. I want scale, and ILM and IMAX and having 2-3 hours as opposed to 6-8. I want to sit in a theater. They're not gonna drop $200 million budgets on this. And that's part of it for me. I love (for example) the Ant-Man movies (and hope we get more) because I think the shrinking effect is absolutely mind bogglingly slick looking. Taking that sort of thing to TV....I'm sorry. It's just not the same..
Kevin Feige says they're sparing no expense. The budget for each of the Marvel Studios produced miniseries is said to be 100+ million. For six episodes, that ain't bad. FALCON & WINTER SOLDIER and the other Disney+ series aren't being planned for multiple seasons, they're being treated like feature films, each with a specific story to tell.

(05-21-2019, 01:31 AM)Alt-molt Wrote: Wait a minute, so for me to fully enjoy SHANG-CHI without getting lost I'm gonna have to watch this show?

Did you have to watch ANT MAN & THE WASP to understand CAPTAIN MARVEL? Of course not, but then both of those movies fed into AVENGERS: ENDGAME and if you skipped either of them you may have missed a few references. FALCON & WINTER SOLDIER is being treated with the same weight as any of the standalone films.
Ok ok Barry. Maybe it'll look intriguing. Maybe it'll be great even. I just prefer FILMS and the thought of such long things makes me feel tired. I hope that understanding and keeping up with the overall arc of the next phase of FILMS does not depend on watching this too is my main concern..
It's not as if you have to inhale 22 episode seasons every year to keep up. Each miniseries will only be six episodes and then you're done. The Disney+ shows are being treated as integral to phase 4 but, like with most of the standalone films, you could probably miss a few and still get the gist of things in the next crossover event.

I could see Marvel Studios teaming up with select theaters to play the six episode minis on the big screen.
Falcon and Winter Soldier ... yay ...

They're going to do a big reveal before the show airs that it's going to be called CAPTAIN AMERICA AND THE WINTER SOLDIER with Sam in his full-on Cap get-up from the comics, right?
Glad Zemo's coming back.
(05-21-2019, 08:51 AM)Misfit Wrote: They're going to do a big reveal before the show airs that it's going to be called CAPTAIN AMERICA AND THE WINTER SOLDIER with Sam in his full-on Cap get-up from the comics, right?

Feige did say they were waiting until after the release of SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME to announce their plans for phase 4, so I suppose the title change could come then. If not, then there's probably a story reason he's still going by Falcon. Becoming the new Captain America is a big deal. Getting the shield from Steve was the first step, but maybe Sam's arc will be to fully commit to taking on the mantle.
I thought that arc was completed when Rogers handed him the shield and basically said "break a leg, Captain America."
Sam is an honorable man and he's definitely worthy of picking up the mantle, but it isn't as simple as putting on a patriotic outfit and wielding the shield. He has to become his own version of Cap, not just copy Steve Rogers. He doesn't have the super soldier strength of version 1.0, how will he compensate, if at all? Does he keep his wings? How will he use the symbol of Captain America for good, not just to fight evil, but to inspire others? Will he take on a leadership role in the Avengers and mentor new recruits? Ultimately, what can he accomplish as Captain America that he can't as Falcon?
Captain Barry and the Woodward Soldier
Git' in under mah belly!
(05-21-2019, 12:00 PM)bradito Wrote: Glad Zemo's coming back.

Great news!

I liked Zemo's style. "I have no powers, so why don't I convince them to kill each other?"
Pass.

Like I said in the Marvel universe thread. Outside of the Guardians with/without Thor, Black Panther and Spider-Man, I have zero interest in these characters post Endgame.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
I have an interest in ANY movie(s) they wanna make. They could put out five a year and I wouldn't burn out. Because I'm a silly child I guess..
Always excited to hear from folks that aren't interested in things!

It's like how I chime in on the WWF thread every week to remind them that I don't watch wrestling. Wait, no, I don't.
Fraid gets it.

The MCU is full of great characters and these new shows let them have their moment in the sun.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Except that's not what Fraid said. He wants movies featuring these characters, not shows.
"Never ASSUME anything, for it makes an ASS out of U and ME." - Benny Hill
(05-21-2019, 11:16 PM)bradito Wrote: Always excited to hear from folks that aren't interested in things!

It's like how I chime in on the WWF thread every week to remind them that I don't watch wrestling. Wait, no, I don't.

Anytime buddy.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
No Brad you chime in in every thread BUT the wrestling thread to say you're not interested in wrestling lol.

And that's not even what I'm saying. That I'm 100% not interested in this. I haven't written this off. But please, lay out the guidelines on what about this we're allowed to discuss and what we're not. Saying I'd rather this be movies is not the same thing that's been going on in the Star Wars threads. Don't lump me in with those Negative Nancys..
We should have a Not Interested Catch All thread.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
It'd at least please Brad. Having a dissenting opinion or being uninterested or even just less interested in something has it's place in a thread. If you state why. Why not? What Brad's exasperated with, is people just stating "Naw, I'm not gonna watch this" over and over. If that's all you got, say it once and move on. I didn't think I was doing that. I'm open to this show. I just had in my head a Captain America 4 movie with Anthony Mackie and now I'm just talking this out and coming to terms with not getting that. Not like it's a huge blow to my soul or anything. That's not what I mean by coming to terms lol. It's just that...Mackie finally gets handed his moment to step up BIG TIME at the end of Endgame. I was hoping they'd give him a movie. But as I said...I'll watch this if it's good. I just hate to see half the plot threads left from Endgame going to TV instead of the big screen..
(05-22-2019, 06:54 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: We should have a Not Interested Catch All thread.

But what if I'm not interested in posting there?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(05-22-2019, 06:54 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: We should have a Not Interested Catch All thread.

Can I make a Disinterested Disney Star Wars thread just to keep ranting about it, even if no one posts in it besides me?

That would be disengenuous though. I am interested... in complaining about them.
Git' in under mah belly!
Wyatt Russell (son of Kurt) has been cast as John Walker a.k.a. U.S. Agent!
But know Wyatt can’t be the new Wolverine!