Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That ALL IN THE FAMILY/THE JEFFERSONS deal
What are we doing with this? Are we watching this?
I'm DVRing it and watching it eventually.

I'm intrigued by the precedent this could sent. Jump to 2043, when Zac Efron III is starring in a one-night-only Seinfeld reenactment.
Isn't this pretty much the same idea behind "The Real Live Brady Bunch," which was a touring live show during the early 90s where sketch comics re-enacted Brady Bunch scenes?  It was created by Jill Solloway (now of TRANSPARENT fame) and involved people like Becky Thyre, Jane Lynch and Andy Richter.  It was said to be funny.
Yeah, I feel like I have to watch it. Woody Harrelson as Archie sold me. And Marisa Tomei continues to take little old lady roles and make us all feel very confused.

Side note: when I was at the Smithsonian a few years back, I took a picture of Archie Bunker's chair to show my dad later. Every single person around me taking a picture of it was also doing it to show their dad. I got a pretty good picture of Abe Lincoln's hat, too.
(05-22-2019, 08:40 AM)fatherdude Wrote: Isn't this pretty much the same idea behind "The Real Live Brady Bunch," which was a touring live show during the early 90s where sketch comics re-enacted Brady Bunch scenes?  It was created by Jill Solloway (now of TRANSPARENT fame) and involved people like Becky Thyre, Jane Lynch and Andy Richter.  It was said to be funny.

This seems like it's playing a lot straighter than that was meant to.

----

Oh, and Marisa Tomei is six years OLDER than Jean Stapleton was when she first played Edith.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I haven't watched clips of TRLBB on Youtube, but I thought it was playing the material straight, with the idea being that the quaintness and artifice of Brady Bunch scripts would be funny in and of itself.
(05-22-2019, 10:08 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: This seems like it's playing a lot straighter than that was meant to.

----

Oh, and Marisa Tomei is six years OLDER than Jean Stapleton was when she first played Edith.
WOW.

Also, this does seem more like "comedy karaoke," where the cast just performs old scripts, although they are promising some "surprises."
Jesus, that Tomei/Stapleton stat just threw me for a loop. I also did some math and realized I'm only five years younger than Carroll O'Connor when he started playing Archie.
(05-22-2019, 10:14 AM)fatherdude Wrote: I haven't watched clips of TRLBB on Youtube, but I thought it was playing the material straight, with the idea being that the quaintness and artifice of Brady Bunch scripts would be funny in and of itself.

Oh, I just figured if it was a bunch of sketch comics, it was likely not played straight.

----------

"Kid, I'm so old I'm whackin' it to Edith Bunker.."
(05-22-2019, 08:34 AM)Mangy Wrote: I'm DVRing it and watching it eventually.

I'm intrigued by the precedent this could sent. Jump to 2043, when Zac Efron III is starring in a one-night-only Seinfeld reenactment.

I'm holding out for a one-night only WKRP in Cincinnati. With Danny McBride as Herb.
Can someone please explain what it is that you're referring to with this thread? I'm lost.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/jimmy-k...203223214/

----------

I don't understand this at all.

We live in strange times.
the empire never ended
It's no weirder than those staged readings Jason Reitman does. This one just happens to be airing live on a network.

----------

When does this air? Does it air?
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

It's on tonight at 8. Live on the east coast.
Hmmm. Assuming I can watch it online somehow later on. Actually visiting my my mom in DC tonight and she’s a crazy old person, ie, there is no working tv here.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Heh, in one of the Dark Tower books, Blaine the Mono described Edith Bunker as a sex goddess comparable to Raquel Welch.
“Fabulosity incarnate stands before you; show some goddamn respect.
(05-22-2019, 07:00 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Heh, in one of the Dark Tower books, Blaine the Mono described Edith Bunker as a sex goddess comparable to Raquel Welch.

Wait 'til you see Tomei...

----------

Wow, Tomei killed it.
Heard this was terrible.
I saw the Marla Gibbs cameo on Twitter and thought that was fun.
(05-23-2019, 08:15 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: Heard this was terrible.

A mixed bag. Tomei and Jamie Foxx were fun to watch. Woody was hit and miss. Jennifer Hudson doing The Jeffersons theme was cool.

Nothing against Stephen Tobolowsky, but he never sold me as Bentley. They should have done whatever humanly possible to get Christoph Waltz.
Got it DVRed, I'll have to watch it later. We made it through Woody and Marisa singing Those Were the Days and even though she didn't say anything, I could feel the sense of misery coming from my wife so I offered to change the channel and watch something else.

I'm assuming the misery was due to the show and not just being married to me.
I hope to the gods that this isn't the start of a trend.

TV exec- "....yeah, and then we can get Seth Rogan to be Mork....someone see if we can get Peter Dinklage to play Gilligan...."
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
(05-23-2019, 10:27 AM)vtran Wrote: I hope to the gods that this isn't the start of a trend.

TV exec- "....yeah, and then we can get Seth Rogan to be Mork....someone see if we can get Peter Dinklage to play Gilligan...."
How were the ratings? If they were remotely decent, they're going to go back to this well the same way Fox and NBC are doing live musicals. Get ready for Sam Rockwell as Sam Malone.
(05-23-2019, 10:27 AM)vtran Wrote: I hope to the gods that this isn't the start of a trend.

Kevin Hart as Arnold in DIFF'RENT STROKES doing the 'my neighbor touched me' episode.
(05-23-2019, 10:31 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: Kevin Hart as Arnold in DIFF'RENT STROKES doing the 'my neighbor touched me' episode.
With Werner Herzog as Gordon Jump.
(05-23-2019, 10:31 AM)Judas Booth Wrote:

Kevin Hart as Arnold in DIFF'RENT STROKES doing the 'my neighbor touched me' episode.

(05-23-2019, 10:31 AM)Mangy Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 10:31 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: Kevin Hart as Arnold in DIFF'RENT STROKES doing the 'my neighbor touched me' episode.
With Werner Herzog as Gordon Jump.

Directed by David Lynch
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
I actually thought this was pretty good. All of the actors sold their roles, even if they weren't all that major. Jamie Foxx breaking character when he flubbed his lines was pretty hilarious. And Will Ferrill and Kerry Washington were both good together as Tom and Helen Willis.

I honestly don't see this as a trend and them doing this with other shows, as that post-show special revealed All in the Family and The Jeffersons feel very relevant in today's social and political climate and the actors and Norman Lear both attest to that. You just wouldn't get that with something like Gilligan's Island or Three's Company.
I don’t know, the one where Jack stands up to a bully at the Regal Beagle would be relevant. A lot of folks might be surprised that there was bullying back then.
The Maude abortion episode would really resonate today.

----------

Ok Molt, now you're going to make me dream cast for a modern-day version of Three's Company.......

Janet Wood: Jenna Fisher

Krissy Snow: Christian Applegate

Mr. Furley: Kevin Klein

Larry the neighbor: John Stamos

Jack Tripper would be tough as you can imagine but I'd say..... Seth Rogan if he lost some weight. I'm sure someone can come up with someone better.,
Pete Holmes is a dead ringer for Ritter but I don’t know if he can do the physical comedy needed for Tripper.

I’d go with Will Forte.