Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PARASITE (Bong Joon Ho)
The reactions out of Cannes for this are off-the-charts good, matching or possibly even exceeding the positivity for The Lighthouse. Some (like Bilge Ebiri) are calling it Bong's best film.

As a long-time BJH fan who strongly likes almost all his movies but has still been kind of waiting for him to make his "masterpiece," I am very stoked.
the empire never ended
I contend that MEMORIES OF MURDER is a masterpiece, but he is great great great.

CAN'T WAIT to see this. Bong is a handful of guys whose movies I have to see asap.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(05-22-2019, 01:45 PM)Mangy Wrote: I contend that MEMORIES OF MURDER is a masterpiece

Was about to say the same.  If this is better than that, holy cow.
(05-22-2019, 01:45 PM)Mangy Wrote: I contend that MEMORIES OF MURDER is a masterpiece, but he is great great great.

CAN'T WAIT to see this. Bong is a handful of guys whose movies I have to see asap.

I hear you. That one's close for me. 

I mean, I basically love all his movies. SNOWPIERCER is probably the only one that falls more into a "like" category.
the empire never ended
just gimme the movie!

I don’t wanna know anything!
I'm just happy I'll be able to own this one on Blu-ray.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/25/186375...annes-2019
the empire never ended
does it have a US release date yet?
https://youtu.be/JLIIxDQmjyg
the empire never ended
This just unanimously won the Palme D'Or at Cannes.
I don't think so but I believe Neon picked it up

[Image: MV5BOWVmODY4MjYtZGViYS00MzJjLWI3NmItMGFm...00_AL_.jpg]

(05-25-2019, 02:19 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: This just unanimously won the Palme D'Or at Cannes.

Yup, my posts were sort of a countdown in expectation.

Bong's done it.
the empire never ended
just give it to me
Yeah. First-ever Korean winner of the Palme.
YES!

Congrats to Bong...put this movie in my veins.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
I guess I never kept up with different Cannes awards, since I always assumed that both he and Park Chan Wook had won things there?
Park Chan-wook has won other awards there, I'm fairly sure. But I guess not the big one.

ETA- One thing I didn't know about Cannes that I should have is that apparently they automatically spread the love around ever since Barton Fink swept a bunch of the awards. So only one prize per film.
OLDBOY won the Grand Prix in 2004 (IIRC Tarantino was jury president that year and he personally told PCW to stick around for the award ceremonies) while the Palm d'Or went to FAHRENHEIT 9/11.

So happy that Bong won the big prize. Can't wait to check this out.
Bong Joon-ho and Song Kang-ho together makes me as happy as seeing Jesse V Johnson and Scott Adkins together. Maybe more so. Definitely in a different way.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
I guess Neon is releasing this stateside in Oct, for a Best Foreign Film consideration at next year's Oscars.
too far away!
I have no doubt the unsubbed prints will make the rounds on the usual bootleg sites later in June. It just opened in Korea this weekend.
(05-31-2019, 03:33 PM)isao kanemasa Wrote: I have no doubt the unsubbed prints will make the rounds on the usual bootleg sites later in June.  It just opened in Korea this weekend.

Yeah, if it opened this weekend in Korea it'll likely be up on their home box office services there within 6-8 weeks, and then a subbed version will end up all over Kissasian and the rest.  I was checking for a release here in Aus and found nothing, but I did find out that Ma Dong Seok's new thriller, The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil, opens next Thursday . . . so I guess I'm driving up to Sydney next Saturday.
I wanna see it in a theater!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that CGV in LA's K-town or in Buena Park will get this soon. On their website the only Korean film listed on their Coming Soon section is THE GANGSTER, THE COP, THE DEVIL (which I wanna sorta check out, but not at $20 a head).
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07T4N5BZL/?tag=hidefnin0a-21

French 4K/Blu-Ray/DVD set release on 10/16.
Ended up seeing this in Sydney last weekend (in a sold out session, no less - I was stunned!). It's so, so, so good. That is all.
Still digesting. But first impression - it's probably my least favorite BJH (though I still haven't seen his segment in TOKYO!). Maybe that's just due to the unsavory characters, and Song Kang Ho playing such a wackadoo.

Really liked Park So Dam (So Damn Park?) in this as the parasite daughter. So effortlessly cool, and what a voice.

Will probably have to watch this again. I might have nodded off during some of the Lee Sun Kyun scenes. That dude's delivery just puts me to sleep.
US trailer:

It has my favorite part of the movie, where Jessica recites her fake mini-bio prior to invading the rich family's lives.  I would've crushed on this girl hard back in high school.

After a few days to digest this (and accepting that I'll hate some of these characters no matter what), it's gone up the ranks considerably and I'm looking forward to checking this out again.  I'll probably wait for a theater viewing.
can't wait

so excited
What really turned me around on it was my reading of the ending. The more I think about it, the more hysterical it gets.
that trailer is better than 90% of the full movies i've seen this year
the empire never ended
oh man, the commentary/themes in this one were CORROSIVE.

fantastic

so funny

isao, I wanna hear more about your reading of the ending. It brought to mind Cuckoo’s Nest and The 25th Hour... and also Re-NEDucation!
Yeah this thing's on another level, favourite movie I've seen all year or in the past couple of years really. The most trenchant film BJH has done which is really saying something, considering his filmography.

There are too many great moments to mention but I've got to highlight the flood scene. Jessica smoking on top of the toilet as it pukes up water. An absolutely incredible bit of filmmaking.

The upstairs/downstairs theme feels like it mirrors what Peele was going for in US but not quite as nonsensical.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(08-30-2019, 03:38 AM)Nooj Wrote: isao, I wanna hear more about your reading of the ending. It brought to mind Cuckoo’s Nest and The 25th Hour... and also Re-NEDucation!

I think that's the only way to read it. SKH is going to end up as "the ghost" for the current family. His son's earnest "Please remain healthy until that day" is what made me crack up for real.

(08-30-2019, 07:48 AM)Evi Wrote: There are too many great moments to mention but I've got to highlight the flood scene. Jessica smoking on top of the toilet as it pukes up water. An absolutely incredible bit of filmmaking.

Such a cool badass moment. I know that when my toilet starts regurgitating shitty sewer water like The Exorcist I'm just going to sit on the lid and casually light up a smoke.
IIIIIT’S BLIIIIISSSSSS!