Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ford v. Ferrari (James Mangold)(2019) Post Release discussion sponsored by Overlord
Trailer:

Are Ford or Ferrari really cutting edge brands for actual motor car enthusiasts who have been mainlining uncut Fast & Furious movies for the past decade or so?  Is a 50 year old rivalry between old school manufacturing companies really something near and dear to the hearts of America's movie-going middle class?

100 million dollar budget?  Kind of feels like Mangold's Medellin moment.

If Mangold wanted to do a period piece, why do this story?  Seems like a lot of these guys are still alive which means we're probably not going to see particularly outrageous takes on a guy like Lee Iaccoca. 

Keeping an open mind, but this isn't exactly grabbing my attention.  Maybe if they'd had some period-dressed love interests mixed in.  Like Atwell, or Robbie.

Pretty sure these two will team up.
I'm not a car guy at all, but that trailer sold me.
I’ll see anything mangold does.
(06-02-2019, 11:27 PM)Bucho Wrote: Pretty sure these two will team up.

To take on Mecha King Ghidora?  That doesn't make much sense, the movie is "Ford v. Ferrari," that title means they should be fighting the entire film.

I'm all fucking in on this.

A bit of history...

(06-02-2019, 11:33 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 11:27 PM)Bucho Wrote: Pretty sure these two will team up.

To take on Mecha King Ghidora?  That doesn't make much sense, the movie is "Ford v. Ferrari," that title means they should be fighting the entire film.

Batman V Superman.
Yawn. Picturing the Michael Mann version instead.

Gimme Shelter? Really?
I think this looks terrific.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(06-02-2019, 11:56 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Yawn. Picturing the Michael Mann version instead.

Gimme Shelter? Really?

I know, right?  This whole thing feels incredible tired maybe 2/3rds of the way through the trailer.

Nothing with a Stones song ever feels tired.

Is it cheating? Sure.

Does it work? Of course, what's the point of cheating otherwise?
(06-03-2019, 12:02 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: I think this looks terrific.

Same here. Looks great.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Also wish Mann had his shot but was surprised by how much I dug the trailer.
OK. I consider myself something of an expert on this subject, I've effectively been saturated in it for years. I'm totally hooked to see this film, it is a terrific story with some fascinating characters. Loved the trailer, but I am a little concerned they're going to Fast and Furious it a little, some of those crashes did not look real at all. Also, knowing how Ken Miles goes at Le Mans I'm a bit concerned at how the Kiwi drivers are going to be portrayed given the heavy focus on Ken Miles. Still, those P4 Ferraris look absolutely gorgeous.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
oh hell yes. I've been waiting for this movie for a while. Great trailer!
Cars and car racing bore me. I thought RUSH was greatly overrated...

...but I'm kinda interested in this, based on the two leads and Mangold. And that's a terrific trailer (which, yes, cheats, but yes, succeeds at it.)
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(06-03-2019, 10:43 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Cars and car racing bore me. I thought RUSH was greatly overrated...

...but I'm kinda interested in this, based on the two leads and Mangold. And that's a terrific trailer (which, yes, cheats, but yes, succeeds at it.)

Who ARE you and what have you done with my brother from another mother???
Sorry, my man: RUSH was, for me, really underwhelming. I didn't think it was bad. It just never grabbed me.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Did you try using magnesium parts?
'Rush' was good...but not great.

Now, this might be nitpicky but as someone who rides motorcycles, any movie that depicts racing (or anything going fast) needs to instill a true sense of speed. Rush did not instill that proper sense of speed when it came to the racing footage.

THIS will give you a sense of what I'm referring to.

Isle of Man TT onboard

The video is NOT sped up...
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Rush is far from perfect, but I enjoy it.  Listening to the score in my car is probably going to get me a ticket someday.
ROGUE NATION's bike chase had a good sense of speed
RONIN does a good job of showing speed.
I know dick about this, but it looks like a winner to me.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Old motor racing was so ridiculously dangerous it’s a good topic for an action movie I think. And this does kinda seem like an action movie. I was expecting something more prestigy somehow.

Gimme Shelter never needs to be put in a movie or trailer ever again though. It’s not like the Stones don’t have other songs. Perhaps they could’ve picked one that had actually been released at the time this movie is set??
They should have used Queen's Bicycle Race just for laughs.

Agreed. I'm up and down on James Mangold, but to see a big-budget ($100 million!) drama focusing on a fascinating, potentially "cool" (I mean, it is cool to me!.. just potentially "cool" in the way it is marketed to people, etc., as it is during the NBA Finals starring my Golden State Warriors) story aimed at... adults? Starring movie stars? It feels like we're in a time warp and went back 20 years and that feels good to me.. These days only the Quentin Tarantinos or Steven Spielbergs seem to be able to throw that together. Hollywood needs more mid-budget films, which are becoming increasingly anomalous in the land of $200-million tentpole Goliath behemoths and $2-million indy pictures. (Obviously exaggerating for impact on both ends but you get the idea.) 

The "Gimme Shelter" choice is a staggeringly on-the-nose and overused cliche, to be fair, almost eye-roll-inducing. Good thing the trailer is otherwise so well-cut.

This also looks like the most vital Matt Damon has looked onscreen as a star in a while (since The Martian?). He's been playing a lot of "schmucks" as of late, or recycling some of his tired action star tropes to ever-diminishing returns. 

That said, it's just a trailer, but it caught my eye in a way that most do not these days.
(06-03-2019, 06:16 PM)noirheaven Wrote:

Agreed. I'm up and down on James Mangold, but to see a big-budget ($100 million!) drama focusing on a fascinating, potentially "cool" (I mean, it is cool to me!.. just potentially "cool" in the way it is marketed to people, etc., as it is during the NBA Finals starring my Golden State Warriors) story aimed at... adults? Starring movie stars? It feels like we're in a time warp and went back 20 years and that feels good to me.. These days only the Quentin Tarantinos or Steven Spielbergs seem to be able to throw that together. Hollywood needs more mid-budget films, which are becoming increasingly anomalous in the land of $200-million tentpole Goliath behemoths and $2-million indy pictures. (Obviously exaggerating for impact on both ends but you get the idea.) 

The "Gimme Shelter" choice is a staggeringly on-the-nose and overused cliche, to be fair, almost eye-roll-inducing. Good thing the trailer is otherwise so well-cut.

This also looks like the most vital Matt Damon has looked onscreen as a star in a while (since The Martian?). He's been playing a lot of "schmucks" as of late, or recycling some of his tired action star tropes to ever-diminishing returns. 

That said, it's just a trailer, but it caught my eye in a way that most do not these days.

Absolutely agree with this. Its SO rare to get these days an original genre movie with movie stars and not another remake or superhero movie or potential franchise that i cant help but root for this to succeed.
"Stephen Sommers is the Duke Fleed of film directors"
This is fucking great. Might be the best racing movie I've ever seen.
Great to hear. Gonna catch this sometime next week.
Is it better than Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo?
Few things are.
The quality of the race footage cannot be overstated. It’s amazing and does an effective job of conveying a real sense of speed. Luckily, the movie itself is a match for the racing with probably my favorite performances from both Damon and Bale.

This is probably my top movie of the year so far.
Loved it.
Agree with Judas completely. Bale and Damon knocked it out of the park, and the whole thing was a lot funnier than I thought it would be overall. Really well done, and my audience was loving every minute of it last night.
"It's no coincidence that Donald Trump and CUUUUUUUUNT have the same amount of letters" courtesy of Fraid