Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic: The Gathering: The Series: The Thread
The Russo brothers are teaming up with Netflix and Wizards of the Coast for an animated series based on the Magic: The Gathering card game.  The Russos will executive produce and the team behind Dragon Prince will be responsible for the animation.

There certainly isn't a lack of stories, characters and settings from which to mine material for the series, and I liked what I saw of Dragon Prince, so this might be worth a look.  My biggest curiosity is how they handle the whole spellcasting aspect.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I know many friends who love Magic, and I adore The Dragon Prince and the Castlevania series too... Hopefully the lore of the game is enough catch my interest?

We'll see. I know for a fact that Nooj will be complaining about the art style of the animation. Some very picky people!
is it by the people who did dragon prince???

I wouldn't complain if it was by the people that did Castlevania!
The mere mention of the name "Magic: The Gathering" causes me so much pain.

Pretty sure the collection I sold for 500 bucks or so is literally worth 100k or so now. Hell, the dual lands and a few other scraps I have remaining I believe are worth a few grand.

woof!
(06-03-2019, 07:57 PM)Nooj Wrote: is it by the people who did dragon prince???

I cannot deny how MMMMMGORGEOUS Castlevania looked.  So lovely.

(06-03-2019, 08:03 PM)Overlord Wrote: The mere mention of the name "Magic: The Gathering" causes me so much pain.

Pretty sure the collection I sold for 500 bucks or so is literally worth 100k or so now.  Hell, the dual lands and a few other scraps I have remaining I believe are worth a few grand.

I have SOOOO many questions.  How what why?  Is it like Pokemon cards?  Is it like Heartstone?  Why is it such an obsession?  Is the lore THAT COOL or is the card game so much fun?
(06-03-2019, 08:42 PM)freeman Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 07:57 PM)Nooj Wrote: is it by the people who did dragon prince???

I cannot deny how MMMMMGORGEOUS Castlevania looked.  So lovely.

(06-03-2019, 08:03 PM)Overlord Wrote: The mere mention of the name "Magic: The Gathering" causes me so much pain.

Pretty sure the collection I sold for 500 bucks or so is literally worth 100k or so now.  Hell, the dual lands and a few other scraps I have remaining I believe are worth a few grand.

I have SOOOO many questions.  How what why?  Is it like Pokemon cards?  Is it like Heartstone?  Why is it such an obsession?  Is the lore THAT COOL or is the card game so much fun?

It predates pokemon and the other card games, but pretty similar.

A friend of a friend asked me to price out his collection a few years ago (the box was literally covered in dust and jammed in the back of a closet behind umpteen board games).  I only made it through maybe half of them before I told him he needed to go get some sleeves and a safety deposit box.   He had mutiple decks with four lotuses, four moxes (super rare cards worth many thousands of dollars), and multiples of a shit-ton of super rares.  I told him that what I was looking at was probably worth in excess of 150k.  

I didn't keep in touch with him but I wonder if he sold them all.  His wife was listening incredibly intently to the conversation. I was kind of insulted that he was visibly keeping an eye on me handling the decks when it would have been very easy of me to simply take a bunch before he even knew what they worth.

I had sold all those cards for pennies on the dollars in college (back in late 90s) when I was working 30+ hours a week for food and book money.

I'll probably watch this.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(06-03-2019, 08:42 PM)freeman Wrote: I have SOOOO many questions.  How what why?  Is it like Pokemon cards?  Is it like Heartstone?  Why is it such an obsession?  Is the lore THAT COOL or is the card game so much fun?

If Hearthstone is Checkers, Magic is Chess.

It's an extremely popular game with professional players and big money tournaments. So you get the mix of card-collecting and competitive investments, making out-of-print cards in extremely high demand.

I always found it weird that they created ongoing stories for a card game, but it makes this show worth a look for me, at least to see where they go with it.
Gamertag: Tweakee
It sounds like something I would get way way way way into... If the barrier to entry wasn't needing to buy thousands and thousands of dollars of physical cards and go find people who play in real life and trade etc.

Is there a popular Magic video game?
(06-03-2019, 09:19 PM)freeman Wrote: It sounds like something I would get way way way way into...  If the barrier to entry wasn't needing to buy thousands and thousands of dollars of physical cards and go find people who play in real life and trade etc.

Actually, it is very easy to get into due to the way tournaments are formatted.  Sealed deck and "currently published" tourneys mean no one has a card advantage.

I was pretty good at sealed deck tournaments.  Won a couple major convention events in high school.

I hid my dorky hobby from nearly everyone that knew me.

(06-03-2019, 09:19 PM)freeman Wrote: Is there a popular Magic video game?

The online version of the game is pretty popular, but as far as games based on the IP, I don't think so.

I actually had a Black Lotus.  Sold it for $50 back in the '90s because how could a simple game card possibly ever be worth more than that?
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(06-03-2019, 09:29 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 09:19 PM)freeman Wrote: It sounds like something I would get way way way way into...  If the barrier to entry wasn't needing to buy thousands and thousands of dollars of physical cards and go find people who play in real life and trade etc.

Actually, it is very easy to get into due to the way tournaments are formatted.  Sealed deck and "currently published" tourneys mean no one has a card advantage.

I was pretty good at sealed deck tournaments.  Won a couple major convention events in high school.

I hid my dorky hobby from nearly everyone that knew me.

The urge to try to wedgie your big Hulk looking ass is overwhelming right now.
Hrnghhhh...

Well, it’s not the dream of mine to have the Urza saga from the 90s played out, but the new stuff is pretty fun.

And the lore for many of the sets - they didn’t always have an official, written down storyline for the first dozen or so sets - is pretty fantastic. Very, very easy to fall into a hole to see where it goes, and with the introduction of the planeswalker characters gives you concrete guys to root for.

Christ, has it been 25 years? I should dig up my old cards...

https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena

Free to play, gives out free cards for playing, very slick.

There are older video games on mobile, console and PC as well, but Arena is the new hotness.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Oh no. Oh pray for me.
(06-03-2019, 10:15 PM)doc happenin Wrote: Christ, has it been 25 years? I should dig up my old cards...

You should, if for nothing else to check for values.

Anything from Antiquities or earlier may be super, super valuable unexpectedly.