Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon's CARNIVAL ROW
Official synopsis:

Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevingne star in Carnival Row, a Victorian fantasy world filled with mythological immigrant creatures. Feared by humans, they are forbidden to live, love, or fly with freedom. But even in darkness, hope lives, as a human detective and a faerie rekindle a dangerous affair. The city’s uneasy peace collapses when a string of murders reveals a monster no one could imagine.

Trailer:

I'm not really a fan of either of the leads. Bloom was fine in the LOTR films, and the first couple of POTC flicks, but he seemed too slight to carry a film or show. And my exposure to Delevingne is pretty much just SUICIDE SQUAD and VALERIAN, neither of which did her any favors.

But...the premise is intriguing (for me). Love me some gothic, supernatural Victorian shit, and seems like they're throwing in some steampunk elements, too. And it's an original property: not an adaptation. Which, for me, is a bonus: more freedom to explore the story and world, and more surprises for the audience.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Script was really cool. Unfortunately in my head I cast more interesting leads...
Anything with Victorian aesthetics is a must watch for me.

(06-04-2019, 08:23 AM)freeman Wrote: Script was really cool. Unfortunately in my head I cast more interesting leads...

I'll remain optimistic, for now, that this will be a Josh Hartnett in Penny Dreadful situation for Bloom: we'll be pleasantly surprised by his presence and acting in an ongoing series vs big screen blockbusters.

Delevigne, though....she just seems slight, in every way.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Orlando Bloom is a piece of balsa wood. The most boring pile of nothing this side of Aaron Taylor-Johnson.
Pop quiz: rank in terms of balsa woodeness: AT-J, Bloom, and Sam Worthington.

GO!

Wow, the premise sounds interesting but way to cast two of the slightest, least charismatic actors alive as the leads.

Also, from best to worst

1. Worthington (his roles in The Debt and Rogue put him leagues ahead of the others)
2. AT-J (not bad in Kickass or Nocturnal Animals)
3. Bloom
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Like I said: if Harnett could surprise us in PENNY DREADFUL, maybe there's something these two can do in this premise.

Maybe.

Blood has some fun chewing the scenery in Paul WS Anderson's Three Musketeers.
(06-07-2019, 08:35 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Like I said: if Harnett could surprise us in PENNY DREADFUL, maybe there's something these two can do in this premise.

Maybe.

The script is genuinely great. But will it work as a series...? Depends, how many episodes is it? It works as a 120 page script, but as a season of television?
Wait, when was this a feature length script? I know nothing about this property.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

It was a popular spec I think from the early blacklist from the Pacific Rim guy.

It's just a noir murder mystery story with fantasy elements. Instead of hounds the police use werewolves to flush out foes etc. It read a lot like Minority Report with fantasy to me.