Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X-Men: Dark Phoenix Post-Release Thread
The film drops in less than 24 hours and reviews are going up now. 

Singerverse 2000 - 2019. Thanks for the memories.

The real ending to Big...
The one good thing I can say about the Singerverse is that I'm glad we got the MCU because of these films.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Unfortunately we also got Singer...
Singer may be a monster but I always separate the artist from the person and will always be thankful for flicks like X2 and DOFP. If I were to dismiss films just from the basis of who directed them I would be writing off a lot of films.
So instead you're going out of your way to specifically condone Roman Polanski? An interesting choice. I'm going to mark that down as an official Stocks quote.

(writes down)

... Pro... Joseph Goebbels...
CHINATOWN is great.

Guy who directed it? Monster.

REAR WINDOW is among my top ten of ALL TIME.

Hitchcock? Creepo.
I always knew you were a monster.

I just never knew how bad it was...
I've never really seen Chinatown or any Polanski film for that matter in a very long time. Same goes for Woody Allen.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I mean... Come on. There's a difference between masterful films with actual tangible value and Bryan Singer movies.

If you like these movies I have absolutely no sincere moral judgement against you, I'm just saying it's really easy to let your moral compass dismiss this dumb funny book stuff when it otherwise might not be so simple for actually important works. I probably won't be seeing this for example.
(06-05-2019, 01:39 AM)headless fett Wrote: The one good thing I can say about the Singerverse is that I'm glad we got the MCU because of these films.

Amen. It's easy saying this after the fact but I would say the biggest flaw in this series is it's attempts to give the people what they think they want, instead of using the strengths of the IP. Right out of the gate people understandably responded to Wolverine and Magneto... so every subsequent film had to basically revolve around them. Jennifer Lawrence becomes an uber star? Mystique becomes the leader of the X-Men. 

Compare it to the sure handedness of the MCU. Iron Man was hands down the star of Phase 1, but they resisted the urge to make "Iron Man & The Avengers". Doctor Strange has its fans but it's fair to say the world wasn't crying out for more, and yet he's front and centre of Infinity War because the story demands it.

The series has highs and lows but it's never quite coalesced*. I remember a brief window when I thought the final scene of DOFP was going to be the new status quo, perfec!  ... then Apocalypse was announced.

If the reviews are to be believed this is the whiff we all thought it was and that's pretty depressing.

*By this I mean as an X-Men series. Logan and Deadpool are spot on.
(06-05-2019, 02:39 AM)freeman Wrote: I always knew you were a monster.

I just never knew how bad it was...

[Image: giphy.gif]

can't wait

so excited

it's under 2 hours! surely a sign of confidence!!!
(06-05-2019, 03:20 AM)freeman Wrote:

[Image: giphy.gif]
(06-05-2019, 02:22 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I always separate the artist from the person and will always be thankful for flicks like DOFP .

LOL.
I’m not even ashamed, cause I see no reason to.

Raaaannnnnkkkkk

DAYS OF FUTURE PAST
X2
LOGAN
X-MEN
FIRST CLASS
THE WOLVERINE
APOCALYPSE
THE LAST STAND
*chasm*
WOLVERINE ORIGINS
(06-05-2019, 02:22 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Singer may be a monster but I always separate the artist from the person and will always be thankful for flicks like X2 and DOFP. If I were to dismiss films just from the basis of who directed them I would be writing off a lot of films.

There are literally one million films Stocks. We can all afford to write off a few directors without worrying we'll run out.
But he gave us Days of Future Past! Can we really afford to be that careless when we were gifted with such a masterpiece of cinema?
I’m not expecting anything more from Singer anyway. Heck, I like less than half of his films.
(06-05-2019, 03:41 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I’m not even ashamed, cause I see no reason to.

Raaaannnnnkkkkk

DAYS OF FUTURE PAST
X2
LOGAN
X-MEN
FIRST CLASS
THE WOLVERINE
APOCALYPSE
THE LAST STAND
*chasm*
WOLVERINE ORIGINS

Days at the top?

Like seriously? Like, that's not a gag?
I open the Hollywood Scandals thread every day hoping there's a new filmmaker who's been crossing the wrong lines just so I can reduce the number of films on my intimidatingly gargantuan must-see list.
Yeah, sure.

(06-05-2019, 03:57 AM)Bucho Wrote: I open the Hollywood Scandals thread every day hoping there's a new filmmaker who's been crossing the wrong lines just so I can reduce the number of films on my intimidatingly gargantuan must-see list.

Huh, maybe I should do that. With Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, broadcast tv, cable tv, dvds and blurays, my backlog of viewing material is impossibly long. Might help trim the fat if I were to find out that creators, makers or stars of certain things are bad people. I already took off several Kevin Spacey items. So much for rewatching American Beauty or Baby Driver.
Git' in under mah belly!
I haven’t watched Fred Claus since I heard Spacey was such a creepo.

Reviews are coming out and most indicate that it's... not bad. A generic decently paced X-film with a couple of nice touches and action sequences. Shows how low my expectations were that this is considered a win in my book.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
This whole thing justifies it's existence for The Wolverine, Logan, Deadpool and Deadpool 2. I don't know who would dispute that, or why..
Currently at 20% on RT.

I imagine the meeting after the first screening with the Disney studio heads went like this:

I like Stocks' ranking. Don't totally agree 100%...but we're in the same chapter if not on the same page. The way the last two are ranked is my feelings exactly. Logan has to be número uno, though. What a movie. Soooo good..
MovieBob said the reshoots really show in Chastain's character, who seems to change motivation and actual role off and on.

Hard to believe they've squandered the greatest X-Men story of all time TWICE.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(06-05-2019, 10:30 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: MovieBob said the reshoots really show in Chastain's character, who seems to change motivation and actual role off and on.

Hard to believe they've squandered the greatest X-Men story of all time TWICE.

And by the LAST STAND writer who wanted to give it a second go so to do it justice.
All this has to do to tie this series off satisfyingly for me is to be better than The Last Stand. Seems like I'll probably dig it. Good. Because I want to. I knew that massive runtime wasn't gonna last. I bet, unlike, Justice League, this really DID start out over 2 and a half hours. Maybe they'll make that version available on home video in about....shit lol...a month?
At least it’ll have dat Zimmer

I'm going for sure and hope it's great, even if I feel next to no kinship for the FIRST CLASS generation of X-Men and feel like I'm going more out of obligation than actual desire.

Pleeeeease be good.
I'm planning on seeing this just for closure. Based on the reviews that I'm seeing, I expect to have an adequate time. Maybe I'll be surprised.
People bring simultaneously too much and not enough baggage to the movies with them. Or the wrong kind of baggage. Every movie has to be something it's not or never supposed to be or mop up after lesser films while being it's own thing AND remaining coherent for the people who remember no farther back than the last scene of the previous movie. Just....let the movie happen. And if it's not your bag, don't let it happen to you lol..