Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X-Men: Dark Phoenix Post-Release Thread
(06-06-2019, 06:26 PM)engineer Wrote: Bryan Singer is not involved with DARK PHOENIX.  At least not in any "official" way.

"Singer was originally announced as being a producer on the film, but following allegations of sexual abuse against Singer, Kinberg stated that he was not involved in the film and his name would not be in the film's credits"  -- wikipedia

Given the reports on how he "directed" Bohemian Rhapsody, can we assume a similar situation was in play for DoFP and Apocalypse? It might explain why the studio was willing to pass the torch to Kinsberg so easily, as he might have been heavily involved in salvaging movies out of the Singer orgy method.
I look forward to hearing how Dark Phoenix lost $75 million, but Singer somehow walked away with a cool $25 million.
FAILING UPWARDS!
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Mystique dies just like Logan.

Dazzler makes a cameo.

Jean Grey also dies... Or does she?

Spoilers.
Fantasy: 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reality: 

[Image: HappySeveralAsianwaterbuffalo-size_restricted.gif]

R.I.P. Singerverse. About damn time.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Anyhoo, it's not what I would consider a bad movie. It's workmanlike. Kinberg doesn't really demonstrate any skill behind the camera that would suggest he's cut out for something more ambitious than a CW show. But the flick doesn't dilly-dally, so you're never bored with what's going on. And the train sequence is great; funnily enough, in the end credits, the second unit director is listed as the visionary behind that setpiece.

I was a little unclear about Jessica Chastain's character and her species of nigh-indestructable aliens. But whatever. They're up to no good, and that's good enough for me.

See this with someone you love (who may eventually get cosmic powers and go apeshit).
Don’t knock CW shows
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
I enjoyed it!
How were the performances? I can't believe Fassbender and Lawrence stuck around, they clearly have been collecting a paycheck mode since First Class.
(06-07-2019, 04:10 AM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: Don’t knock CW shows

CW shows are for goobers!
The CW shows are harmless fun.

I mean, Legends of Tomorrow had Biff Tannen serenading a Minotaur with a James Taylor song.

That's quality television right there.

As for this, this looks fine. For better or worse, this franchise helped shape today's superhero movie landscape, so I'd still like to see how this iteration of X-Men ends. I'm just not sure yet if I'll catch it in theaters or wait for the DVD. I'd still like to see Godzilla one more time before anything else.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
I just hate the aesthetic of CW shows. Like the cheapness of them overrides their supposed "fun."

I think the problem is with the X-men movies is that, for the longest time, they got away with being just alright simply because X-men was one of the first mega popular superhero films. Now not only is Marvel pumping out films but every fucking television station has their own superhero show.

Kinda hard to justify a ticket for something workmanlike. I get that people still have a soft spot for these movies, but I personally wouldn't mind never seeing another Xmen movie again.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

(06-07-2019, 11:21 AM)ska oreo Wrote: I get that people still have a soft spot for these movies, but I personally wouldn't mind never seeing another Xmen movie again.

Pretty much where I am, as well. I haven't watch an X-men* movie since First Class, and I'm kinda astounded that they're still making them and that people are still paying to see them.

(Watch me become a complete fucking hypocrite when the MCU rolls out the rebooted X-men with perfect casting we can't even guess ATM.)

*Meaning the "group" X-men movies. I don't really count the Wolverine and Deadpool movies as "true" X-men flicks.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
If they further the continuity then they're true X-Men movies. And The Wolverine and Logan alter the HELL out of the continuity..
(06-07-2019, 12:28 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 11:21 AM)ska oreo Wrote: I get that people still have a soft spot for these movies, but I personally wouldn't mind never seeing another Xmen movie again.

Pretty much where I am, as well. I haven't watch an X-men* movie since First Class, and I'm kinda astounded that they're still making them and that people are still paying to see them.

(Watch me become a complete fucking hypocrite when the MCU rolls out the rebooted X-men with perfect casting we can't even guess ATM.)

*Meaning the "group" X-men movies. I don't really count the Wolverine and Deadpool movies as "true" X-men flicks.

Give DAYS OF FUTURE PAST a go.  Apart from needing an edit to tighten things up, that one is really quite solid (in my opinion) and builds nicely on FIRST CLASS.  Also, the Quicksilver scene really is THAT good.
Quicksilver gets the short shrift in this movie. Probably my biggest complaint.
(06-07-2019, 12:40 PM)bradito Wrote: Quicksilver gets the short shrift in this movie. Probably my biggest complaint.

I read that elsewhere too.  After having the best scenes in DOFP and AP (and his scene in AP is literally the only thing of merit in that terrible movie), he’s essentially dismissed from active service and doesn’t get a real moment to shine.
Please, no one see this. Let me be your only source for spoilers.
(06-07-2019, 12:40 PM)bradito Wrote: Quicksilver gets the short shrift in this movie. Probably my biggest complaint.

I'm not surprised. So far he's been treated as more of a weapon than an actual character. Which sucks, because Peters is one of the more appealing actors in the series.

Still, I'll definitely check this out. I'm just not sure whether it's worth the money (and headache of 3D glasses) to see it on the bigscreen.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
They kind of made Quicksilver too Deus Ex Machina-esque for their own good. And so, he has to be a glorified cameo.
The movies treat his power, which is borderline godlike, like a special attack in a video game that you can only use once per level. He should be a game changer. It's too powerful. He could've saved everyone a lot of grief if he'd just stayed with them in DOFP..
Maybe he had a bad case of runner's trots. I get that sometimes.
(06-07-2019, 01:42 PM)bradito Wrote: They kind of made Quicksilver too Deus Ex Machina-esque for their own good. And so, he has to be a glorified cameo.

So he's basically the Captain Marvel of the Fox X-verse.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
No, he gets his ass kicked too easily.
Brad: is this better than APOCALYPSE at least? Serious question.
You'll have to see for yourself!

I dunno. I like Apocalypse, but I guess people hate it. Mystique is in this less if that's an issue.
No, I actually liked Apocalypse better.

But then again, I actually liked Apocalypse a lot more than....everyone but Brad I suppose. So I can answer your question. But I'm likely the wrong person to listen to.

This is about on par with the first X-Men for me. I liked it enough to say I liked it. It is very very obvious that this was THE last drop of gas in the tank even if they WEREN'T about to be absorbed into Disney and rebranded. They still make Beast look stupid. How hard is it to do the make up as well as The Last Stand?! I mean, shit...come on..
Apocalypse has that shot of Psylocke flipping through the air, cutting a car in half and executing a 10/10 superhero landing. If you don't like it, you're not really an American.

Dark Phoenix needs Psylocke, BTW. They fucked up there.
Dark Phoenix feels truncated, compromised and small. At least Apocalypse went big. I'm about 95% certain that about another movie's worth of footage was edited out. To squeeze in more showings per day and no other reason. If this doesn't have a significantly longer cut come home video time, I'll eat my hat..
Yeah, you better delete that post, Overlord!
SYSTEMZZZZ!!!11!!!

Apocalypse is schlocky as hell but it has its moments (like the Psylocke shot mentioned above). I haven't seen it since it was in theaters but my little brother wants to watch it today when he gets home from school, along with the new Batman/TMNT movie.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Oh, Cyclops gets to say, "Fuck," this time.
That's how I knew he was all growed up. And getting real emotional and shit. At least he didn't GET fucked like the other Cyclops in the other Phoenix movie. I bet James Marsden said fuck a lot. Off camera. Just like his death.

I love how the X-Men movies realized they were PG-13 and they WILL cash in their one fuck per movie. And Logan was to make up for all the unsaid fucks from previous movies..
hahahahah I laughed at how Quicksilver was lifted out of the plot in this!

you don't get a deux ex speedster for free!!! eventually the bill comes due!

Fassbender and Turner have a wonderful 'jazz-hands off' in the middle of the movie

Fassbender doesn't phone it in there! He goes ALL OUT and the payoff is hilarious!
Who does Chastain play? Sh'iar (sp) or something?

NM--Googled it