Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X-Men: Dark Phoenix Post-Release Thread
She's a, uh, I dunno. Google it.
hahahah, the villains are total non-entities in this!

it's wild!
They have bullet immunity, but not train immunity.
The Wolverine had a bullet train.

The Wolverine > Dark Phoenix
pretty good, fraid!
(06-07-2019, 03:20 PM)Nooj Wrote: Fassbender and Turner have a wonderful 'jazz-hands off' in the middle of the movie

Fassbender doesn't phone it in there! He goes ALL OUT and the payoff is hilarious!

Oh my God did I laugh my ass off at Fassbender in that promo clip.

The real ending to Big...
(06-07-2019, 05:01 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 03:20 PM)Nooj Wrote: Fassbender and Turner have a wonderful 'jazz-hands off' in the middle of the movie

Fassbender doesn't phone it in there!  He goes ALL OUT and the payoff is hilarious!

he goes FULL CRANSTON!!

Sooo this was not great. I'd say slightly better than X3 and Wolverine's Oranges.

I've been a fan of the movies since day 1. Apocalypse made for a more fun cheesefest. When this thing hits act 3 though, you better get ready for all the cheese you can eat.

Of all the mutants in the Xverse, we get Dreddlox. He even survives til the climax, so he can showcase his abilities yet again.

Was the 2nd unit guy that did the climax the same one that reshot Solo? It had the same dumb swingy camera work. That's what you've gotta do when there's no time to properly block out the choreography I guess.

The guards on the train have armpatches that say "MCU". Pfffffff.

Sophie Turner was perfectly fine, she was not one of the problems. Jessica Chastain doesn't talk to her til the end of the 2nd act, where she says "You have the powerful. Yup." Insert drama here?

There was almost a decently workable plot with the X-Persons splintering away from drunk surly Charles, but they didn't quite get there.
(06-07-2019, 05:42 PM)Nooj Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 05:01 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote:

Fassbender doesn't phone it in there!  He goes ALL OUT and the payoff is hilarious!

he goes FULL CRANSTON!!

OMG I just looked up this scene. This looks terrible, in kind of a good way.
Forget Cranston, that's Shatner-level.

The real ending to Big...
Upon reflection, Magneto landsurfing is indeed the most prestigious moment in the film.

It's also the point of no return where I realized I was not watching a "serious" movie. I didn't read any reviews or opinions first, so I was able to ascend to this level of enlightened understanding on my own.
(06-07-2019, 06:41 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: Forget Cranston, that's Shatner-level.

a far cry from his 'nobody cares anymore' mode from apocalypse!

in DARK PHOENIX, he goes bigger than Auschwitz!

GET IN DA CHOPPAH!!!

"I've gotta do this one right for my man Kinberg. GRAAAAHHHH."

Fassbender is an absolute pro 99% of the time.
I still think he’d be a fine James Bond. But I think that ship sailed long ago.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
This thread > DP
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
It's not bad.

It's worse. It's DULL.

Despite being about the most powerful character in the X-Men canon, the scope feels like that of the very first X-Men film, something which the series has clearly grown beyond. Everything feels small scale and timid. Chastain's band of aliens make zero sense and actively detract from the story, serving only to give the X-Men some cannon fodder for the final battle. Nothing feels significant. At all.

There's a kind of "X-Men assemble" moment right as the climax begins that got this lonely, solitary, half-hearted round of applause. That's as apt a metaphor for this film as I can come up with.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
The attempt to bring us back full circle with Magneto and Charles in the last scene didn't do it for me, either.

"Magneto?! How dare you interrupt my alone time at Au Bon Pain."
"Oh, you protest too much, old friend. Dare not push against the wheels of fate that conspire to bring us together, again and again. But seriously, pick up the goddamn checker and checkers fight me."
Next table over, Alfred was sitting, scanning for Bruce.
That was my first thought, too. Poor Charles had no Catwoman of his own to go with him.
(06-07-2019, 09:36 PM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: The attempt to bring us back full circle with Magneto and Charles in the last scene didn't do it for me, either.

"Magneto?! How dare you interrupt my alone time at Au Bon Pain."
"Oh, you protest too much, old friend. Dare not push against the wheels of fate that conspire to bring us together, again and again. But seriously, pick up the goddamn checker and checkers fight me."

EVERY SINGLE main film of this serial has Magneto in it.

Sure, he was important in the comics, but he only appeared periodically as a villain, with big gaps. The variety of X-men's villain roster was sublime; it's one of the greater failings of FOX-X that this roster was neglected or used in a way that might as well been a joke (Apocalypse).

I know - they hit it with A-level casting in McKellen and then Fassbender, but straightjacketed to Jackman, McKellen, Fassbender and (groan) Mystique, each movie's escalation and conflict becomes rote. First Class was kind of a mistake, in this regard, as it navigated them onto the path of safe choices and boring threats.
(06-07-2019, 08:58 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote:  Chastain's band of aliens make zero sense and actively detract from the story, serving only to give the X-Men some cannon fodder for the final battle.  

I could've sworn they actually announced at one time that Chastain was cast as Lilandra of the Shi'ar, kind of a big deal in the comics-- but learned today from a review that the aliens in this are just the Asparagus People that Phoenix wiped out to extinction in a panel or two. 

Sounds about right.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
I always felt that the soft reboot series of films never really knew what to do with Beast. The character is kind of a goofball genius in the comics, but Hoult plays him like he's some sort of tormented bore. And they just quit bothering to explain how or why he's blue and furry at times.
so who and how do people die in this?
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
So, anyone thinks that if this tanks, the toxic fandom will blame it on the parallel that is Jennifer Lawrence's rising stardom and her lack of interest with this franchise?*
One one hand, I don't blame her, given how mismanaged this whole franchise has been and the grueling/embarrassing Mystique body FX part of things, but on the other hand, most of the cast in these have been pretty damn professional.

*The number of man-baby toxic videos out there based on that X-Women bit baffles me. I hope Lawrence deliberately played it that way just to piss trolls off.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Its early 90's in this film, yeah? And Fassbender is playing the same character who was tortured and abused in a concentration camp in First Class. He was maybe 10 years old then, in est. 1944? So that makes him... roughly just under 60 in this movie? With McAvoy's Charles at a similar age?

I mean, that's kind of a dumb thing to get hung up on, sure, but neither look appreciably older than they did in the 1962-set First Class. Which is weird.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

There is an odd shot of Beast getting soaked in the rain at Mystique's funeral. Either sadness makes him beast out, or there used to be a spectacular action scene at the graveyard moments before, and he was still jacked up from that.
(06-07-2019, 10:04 PM)ryoken Wrote: So, anyone thinks that if this tanks, the toxic fandom will blame it on the parallel that is Jennifer Lawrence's rising stardom and her lack of interest with this franchise?*
One one hand, I don't blame her, given how mismanaged this whole franchise has been and the grueling/embarrassing Mystique body FX part of things, but on the other hand, most of the cast in these have been pretty damn professional.

*The number of man-baby toxic videos out there based on that X-Women bit baffles me. I hope Lawrence deliberately played it that way just to piss trolls off.

the fault will sit with Fox. The actors get a pass cuz it's not Feige and Marvel running the show. They screwed up FF twice, Dark Phoenix twice, most X-Men movies, and wouldn't have greenlit Deadpool if Reynolds didn't leak the footage.
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
(06-07-2019, 10:04 PM)ryoken Wrote: So, anyone thinks that if this tanks, the toxic fandom will blame it on the parallel that is Jennifer Lawrence's rising stardom and her lack of interest with this franchise?*

Pissing off trolls really is the only reason to see films anymore. I wish more reviewers would cover that aspect.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            

I thought the toxic fandom wanted it to tank because Marvel Studios?

That moment in the movie does seem eye roll inducing in hindsight after some Marvel producer said she thinks the X-Men name is outdated because there's lots of women on the team too. Now that line just feels like some stupid producers suggest instead of something someone might say to get at someone during an argument.

It'd be interesting to know exactly how much was changed. I get the feeling Chastain's character was originally the Skrull Queen, (with Mastermind & White Queen mixed in) and the aliens the Skrulls, but that was scrapped and she and the aliens were turned into some else. Maybe I'm wrong, but when they started shooting Fox also had the Skrull rights, and because of the Fantastic Four they had the rights to specific Skrulls too. Even if they weren't original meant to be the Skrulls, they're definitely playing off them because the aliens they are I don't think we're actually shapeshifters in the comics.
All the trailers made Chastain seem like a personification of the Phoenix force trying to tempt Jean into letting go. To the point where I wonder if the alien concept was a product of the re-shoots.

And we see Hank visibly and voluntarily transform into Beast at the beginning of the film, so I guess he can do that now.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
He never says, "Oh, my stars and garters," tho.
The biggest disappointment of all is that my ticket stub didn't say "XMEN 10".

Just regular old "Dark Phoenix", lame. I got an X keychain, though.
I didn't get a keychain! This is boolsheet!!
Oh, to meet the person who's like "FUCK YEAH" and immediately transfers all their keys to their new super sweet Dark Phoenix key chain..
Just finished it and liked it. Excessive without being overblown, more dramatic than bombastic. It's the first time Hoult impressed me, some decent horror elements, and the last 20 minutes were a ton of fun for me. A fitting finish to a series that helped set superhero film standards.