Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME (2019) Post-release discussion BROUGHT TO YOU BY HUNTER
It's a blast. Moved so quickly that I wanted more. The crowd was so wild during the mid-credits scene that I didn't make out the dialogue. Cast is great: Holland, Zendaya, Sam Jackson almost turning into Jules Winnfield with a dart gun, Ned...

But holy shit, Jake Gyllenhaal is not only a good villain, he's arguably the most purely entertaining villain to pop up in the MCU since Sam Rockwell in Iron Man 2. Full stop Shane Black henchman energy. Gyllenhaal's Mysterio is a bit Trumpian, a criminal using his failed magician career to boost his ego, but he plays things with a heaping pile of sleaze. There's a sequence where he lays out his evil master plan in a Prague bar where literally everyone is drinking his bad guy Kool-Aid that is delightfully eccentric. Gyllenhaal gets Cage-like in this one.

Honestly? If Sony wants to do their own Sinister Six movie and get Keaton and Gyllenhaal as Vulture and Mysterio to terrorize (alongside four others), I'm there.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
The Spidey VS Mysterio sequence where they go full-blown comic book is literally jaw dropping. I couldn't believe they pulled that whole scene off as well as they did.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
I love Marvel trolling the fans with the multiverse in the trailers. Even people who knew Mysterio was full of shit were saying this is how they will get The X-Men, FF, Deadpool in the MCU.

As for the movie-tons of fun. Mysterio is such a great change of pace villain. Marvel really listened to the fans and the phase 3 villains have been fantastic.

And dusting off JK Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson is brilliant. His bit set up this Spider Man taking a completely different path than the other films. It was his I am Iron Man moment. And it's the perfect opportunity to bring in Kraven the Hunter as one of the third movies villains
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
(07-02-2019, 04:29 PM)the nz natural Wrote: The Spidey VS Mysterio sequence where they go full-blown comic book is literally jaw dropping.  I couldn't believe they pulled that whole scene off as well as they did.

That was a highlight. Felt outright Lynchian.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I had a Mysterio issue of Amazing Spider-Man when I was a kid that had a sequence almost identical to that first encounter. I was totally geeking out during that.

This is the perfect follow-up to Endgame. Acknowledges the grief without wallowing in it. I saw a review that described it as a perfect date movie and that's spot on.

I caught most of the license plate Easter eggs (ASM, MTU and AMF), but Fury had an HNM one at the end that I couldn't place.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Oh, and although I popped huge for the same thing that EVERYBODY is popping huge over in that first post-credits scene, what I appreciated the most about it is that this film effectively ends with the same line of dialogue was Homecoming did.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
"I can help! I'm strong! And I'm sticky!"

This was brilliant. Holland and Zendaya are too good to be true and Gyllenhaal was incredible. I love that they dialled up his villain monologue to eleven. It was perfect.
This out??
It came out on Tuesday.

Anyway, liked it more than the last one, which makes it the best Spidey flick so far.

My only gripe: No Hans Zimmer.
Peter tingle.
This is great. As was HOMECOMING. There are about 20 low-key impressive things these SPIDERMAN movies have done, but it all revolves around Holland being the best Peter Parker we've gotten by a country mile.
I knew Mysterio was lying about the multiverse as soon as he said that the MCU was Earth-616.

The MCU is Earth-199999.

Loved the twist that Mysterio wasn't just Quentin Beck but was a bunch of people who worked for Stark in the past and felt screwed over by him. And I kept waiting for the moment where Beck was going to use EDITH to kill all his accomplices and was pleasantly surprised that it never came. Makes me hope that even though the real Quentin Beck is dead, that if there's a return of the rest of the Mysterio Gang in a future film that they still bring Gyllenhaal back as a hologram being driven by Bill or something.
Fun to see Peter Billingsley back after all this time.
The way the roots of Mysterio's hologram/drone tech are seeded throughout Tony's developments in ULTRON and CIVIL WAR is the sort of world-building that is still so much fun a decade into this run.
The franchise has some next-level setups and payoffs.
This thread title FTW.

in light of any ‘live action’ Spider-Man movie paling in comparison to the energy and dynamism of spiderverse’s freedom of animation,
this new movie actually justified ANOTHER live action take by finally having Mysterio as the perfect villain for a contemporary live action blockbuster with nonstop VFX

I didn’t find any of the big VFX action setpieces particularly engrossing/exciting (the more direct illusion mindfuckery are great though), but they did become a little more conceptually fun while they were going on

really fun!

great way to make both of spiderman's movies have villains that were more examples of Stark's “we create our own demons”

EDITH
(07-03-2019, 02:23 PM)Nooj Wrote: in light of any ‘live action’ Spider-Man movie paling in comparison to the energy and dynamism of spiderverse’s freedom of animation,
this new movie actually justified ANOTHER live action take by finally having Mysterio as the perfect villain for a contemporary live action blockbuster with nonstop VFX

great way to make both of spiderman's movies have villains that were more examples of Stark's “we create our own demons”

And be a great reflection of the assault on objective truth as the Big Bad of the Trump era, without resorting to a specific Trump caricature.
a villain that creates the ultimate deep fakes!
I liked the A/V club montage of the fallen heroes at the beginning, complete with overly sentimental music, awkward transitions and Getty Images watermarks.
(07-03-2019, 02:46 PM)bradito Wrote: I liked the A/V club montage of the fallen heroes at the beginning, complete with overly sentimental music, awkward transitions and Getty Images watermarks.

It was the quick look at the overly-proud creators of the slideshow that got me.
not only watermarks, but compressed and aliased stock footage with watermarks! of candles!

BLIP!
(07-03-2019, 02:35 PM)schwartz Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 02:23 PM)Nooj Wrote: in light of any ‘live action’ Spider-Man movie paling in comparison to the energy and dynamism of spiderverse’s freedom of animation,

And be a great reflection of the assault on objective truth as the Big Bad of the Trump era, without resorting to a specific Trump caricature.

My friend and I were discussing this while reflecting on the first stinger, Jameson has never been more relevant. 

My initial reaction was that every surviving Avenger would have Peter's back and no one would possibly believe Beck. Then I remembered that the survivors of the Las Vegas shooting get fucking death threats. The potential to do something really interesting with this is very exciting.
Well, who are the surviving Avengers anyway? Scarlet Witch is not exactly a beloved public figure going off CIVIL WAR. Thor's out is space, no one knows about Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel is a mix of both. Black Panther's profile is sort of up in the air pending his sequel, Ant-Man isn't especially beloved and only really knows Spiderman from fighting against him. Professor Hulk, Falcon, War Machine, and Hawkeye may have varying degrees of clout in the Twittersphere, I guess, but none of them really know Peter.
I was thinking about Wong. The people love Wong.
I liked this a lot, and would probably place it below only SPIDER-MAN 2.

I could take or leave a lot of the "high school European vaction" stuff, but the script and Tom Holland combine to really get at the heart of what makes Peter Parker tick, and I found his personal story to be very classic Spider-Man territory. In a great way.

And I can't speak highly enough of how they use Mysterio and how Jake Gyllenhaal portrays him. When he was cast, I was hoping we'd get some moments of him going full NIGHTCRAWLER, and we absolutely get that. I was unconvinced that Mysterio -- a character I love but thought was perhaps too goofy for anyone other than Sam Raimi to bring to the screen -- could work in live action, but they nailed it. That sequence where Beck first employs the illusions against Peter was incredible, and will be one of my favorite scenes of the year, I'm sure.

I also like that both HOMECOMING and FAR FROM HOME have Peter battling people "wronged" by Tony Stark. Thematically, that ties things together quite nicely, especially since so much of Peter's arc is about wanting to live up to being the best version of himself that Tony believed he could be.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I fucking loved this. A complete 180 from how I felt about Homecoming (I'm one of the few people on here who doesn't like that one).

Not much else to add (whenever I try making a longer post the site screws up) but I do think it's funny that we've had not one but two superhero movies this year that had a beloved Marvel actor basically playing Alex Jones.
“Fabulosity incarnate stands before you; show some goddamn respect.
It’s really hard for me to parse someone loving this and hating HOMECOMING, or vice versa.
I just remember being really bored by Homecoming whereas this might just be my favorite live-action Spider-man film. But I'm weird like that.
“Fabulosity incarnate stands before you; show some goddamn respect.
(07-03-2019, 07:53 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I also like that both HOMECOMING and FAR FROM HOME have Peter battling people "wronged" by Tony Stark.  Thematically, that ties things together quite nicely, especially since so much of Peter's arc is about wanting to live up to being the best version of himself that Tony believed he could be.

A lot of the recent Marvel films have been about heroes having to deal with the sins of their fathers, as seen in Guardians 2, Thor 3, and Black Panther. Just an observation, but I do like how it's mostly been done so far.
Yeah, I don't know how intentional that is, but it's definitely there.
Saw this and I have some thoughts.

Mysterio basically out Scarcrowed the Scarecrow stuff from the Arkham Asylum game. Speaking of games, JJJ as presented in this is exactly the same as he is in the Spider-Man PS4 game. I loved how wild that corridor charge at the end looked as well.

Great meta misdirection by Marvel to market a multiverse but instead saying screw that nonsense.

I kept thinking Fury and Hill were projections the whole time because Jackson and Smolders played the characters as “off” just a bit to be noticeable and hint that something wasn’t right with them. Good job with that (even though I don’t get how the payoff is supposed to... payoff).

There was a point at the beginning of this movie where things were sort of boring. There are a few scenes at the start that don’t have a score and it felt a bit off-putting. Once things started moving though.

The EDITH acronym is hilarious and fitting.

Oh and great move on the BARF tech as well. It’s been mentioned already but that was a perfectly implemented long term plan and it was even speculated that it was going play a role in Endgame but it’s instead used in a Spider-Man movie.

This was great.

This was pure comic book bliss; its a blast the whole time, with a perfect balance of charm and feels for the drama and humor character moments (Ned's vacation romance) and the absolutely jaw dropping comic book to life action sequences (The Berlin Mysterio battle has to be the best superhero battle that visually and spiritually captures a comic book like flow of action and visual style).

And that long awaited return was a fantastic way to introduce that world changing twist, along with tne other post credit sequence.

What Ive just realized is that the key factor the MCU has used on its favor is taking original comic book moments and use them as just inspiration and building blocks instead of just adapting them, thus surprising both casual and comic book fans.
I mean this movie (and Captain Marvel) takes two of the biggest and most divisive Marvel moments (Spidey unmasking in Civil War and the Skrull reveal in Secret Invasion) and give them fresh and exciting turns on the bug screen (Like say, Cap's Hail Hydra in Endgame).
I mean, that final credits scene (and Fury/Talos refusing to talk about Captain Marvel and confirming Thor is on space) scream "Kree-Skrull War" is coming, but the outcome could be anything.

A great way to close Phase 3. Cant wait to see whats next.

Also, no way Beck is actually dead for real, given his tech and that final coordination move he pulled with his henchman before the end.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Saw this and I have some thoughts.

Mysterio basically out Scarcrowed the Scarecrow stuff from the Arkham Asylum game. Speaking of games, JJJ as presented in this is exactly the same as he is in the Spider-Man PS4 game. I loved how wild that corridor charge at the end looked as well.

Great meta misdirection by Marvel to market a multiverse but instead saying screw that nonsense.

I kept thinking Fury and Hill were projections the whole time because Jackson and Smolders played the characters as “off” just a bit to be noticeable and hint that something wasn’t right with them. Good job with that (even though I don’t get how the payoff is supposed to... payoff).

There was a point at the beginning of this movie where things were sort of boring. There are a few scenes at the start that don’t have a score and it felt a bit off-putting. Once things started moving though.

The EDITH acronym is hilarious and fitting.

Oh and great move on the BARF tech as well. It’s been mentioned already but that was a perfectly implemented long term plan and it was even speculated that it was going play a role in Endgame but it’s instead used in a Spider-Man movie.

Definitely caught a glimpse of someone dressed as Groot during the carnival scene.

This was great.

(07-04-2019, 11:14 PM)ryoken Wrote: (Ned's vacation romance)

This is actually my biggest issue with the movie, believe it or not.

I don't feel as though Ned or Betty are anywhere close to the realm of "real human being" in this movie. The performers do a fine job with what they're asked, but I never believed these were real people experiencing real human emotion. They exist only to provide humorous beats.

The teachers are on a similar plane of existence.