Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taika Waititi's Thor 4 - Pre-Release Thread
I guess, there goes Asgardians of the Galaxy?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v...-4-1224464

The real ending to Big...
I vote we should refer to this movie as Fhor.

[Image: 68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773...=720&h=720]

This is going to be awesome.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Confused, because I didn't think there was really any Asgardian Thor story left to tell.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Thor hasn't turned into a frog yet.
Seems like the perfect way to introduce Beta Ray Bill, Silver Surfer and Galactus.

(07-16-2019, 01:55 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: I guess, there goes Asgardians of the Galaxy?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v...-4-1224464

Unless Gunn was already having Thor in GOG3, Im ok with that.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
I suspect Thor parts ways with the Guardians in the first reel, clearing the way for Gunn’s film to tell their story, while Waititi handles Thor’s. As it should be.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Or that he's parted ways with them before the movie even starts. That part in Endgame likely was just to show how he went back to places other than Earth....which is where Thor should usually be..
Yeah, I'm assuming the parting will be offscreen, prior to the start of this movie.

I've cooled a good bit on Ragnarok - I think it has some significant tonal issues, especially in light of what actually happens - but it indisputably remains the best Thor film we have. I'm curious - not hyped or excited, but curious in a positive way - to see what Waititi does with the character next.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I was never hot on Thor 3 myself. I think the Battleworld stuff is great and the Ragnarok stuff is a dud, which lands poorly with me because the comic stories that this film are representing are genuinely thrilling, epic storytelling. But I am fine with Taika (whose work I adore elsewhere) getting a second go around.
I'm not Avery.
It is pretty neat that Natalie Portman is back for this and get a chance to redeem the Jane Foster character.

I didn't really like how she just sort of faded away presumably due to total disinterest from Portman. Makes it kind of hard to get invested in a romance where the people making it don't give a fuck. Hopefully this is the shot in the arm they need.
(07-21-2019, 11:50 PM)freeman Wrote: I didn't really like how she just sort of faded away presumably due to total disinterest from Portman. Makes it kind of hard to get invested in a romance where the people making it don't give a fuck. Hopefully this is the shot in the arm they need.

Yeah the romance never worked. So because I love continuity I like this but it's not going to help their terrible chemistry that somehow made Thor a better person. Still if we get to hear Mew Mew spoken again im game.

Also should her name be Thor? Like I understand she gets his powers somehow and that's interesting but Thor is his name from birth. Shouldn't she be...Jane?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Don't you be deadnaming her, waaaaaaaalt.

She's the Mighty Thor, Walt. It's not that hard to understand.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(07-22-2019, 12:34 AM)headless fett Wrote: She's the Mighty Thor, Waaaaaaaalt. It's not that hard to understand.
But....shes not though.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I'm even more confused. I thought Portman didn't want to be in these films, now she's Thor? What is even happening?
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Jane became “Lady Thor” in the comics for good long while.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

It's not that hard to understand. Portman didn't want to make anymore Marvel movies. Marvel obviously did something that renewed her interest....whether that be money....a better/more interesting role in a better/more interesting movie...or a combination of the two. Pretty simple..
I hear Moby convinced her.
What the fuck?

What happened to Thor+GOTG?!?!!? They doing that first?!?!?!

she didn't want to be in those movies anywhere because she got shit to do and likely because lobbying for Patti Jenkins to direct THOR 2 ended up not going the way she'd hoped

and she had more creatively rewarding work she could go for

but now that perlmutter is out and marvel seems to be trying to do better by its female characters for its good look and profit, it makes sense that Portman would want to jump back in

also, I don't think Vox Lux did very well
Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor

Some, like Beta Ray Bill, Throg, Groot or Storm, just take the power and keep their own name. Others, like Jane and Volstagg, call themselves Thor because hey, they have Mjolnir and so are the god of thunder and wield the power of Thor.

As for why Portman's come back, she had almost nothing to do in the previous films but now Taika's offering her something fun to get her teeth into. Seems like a no-brainer that she'd be up for it. If he can come up with a script that's even half as good as Jason Aaron's Jane as Thor story (admittedly, unlikely condensed into a 2hr film), it'll be a good time at the flicks.

My only regret is they almost certainly won't have the time to do something like the amazing God-off showdown with the Shi'ar gods where they inflict all manners of Old Testament style horrors on their own people as a display of their godly power and omnipotence and Jane spends the whole thing darting around saving literally thousands of Shi'ar people from earthquakes and tidal waves and all other kinds of ridiculous bullshit because she is ultimately a far greater god and more deserving of worship and adoration than any actual god in existence.
I don't read many comics anymore, but enough friends who do recommended the Thor series with Jane Foster. So it is among the few comic releases in the past decade that I have read. The first half or so is absolutely amazing, and the second half is still decent. They won't do the comic thing where she physically transforms when she becomes Thor, because replacing Natalie with a 6' Nordic Goddess isn't sufficiently "woke."

I'm intrigued to see how this turns out because although the comic set-up is fantastic, I never though much of Natalie Portman's performance in the first two films. And a huge part of the comic storyline is that (because she looks different) no one really knows Jane is Thor, least of all Thor himself. But seeing little Natalie with all that power should be interesting. Hope they keep her health situation in the film as well...that added pathos was a huge component to how great that story managed to frequently be.
I'm not Avery.
(07-22-2019, 03:06 PM)Nooj Wrote: she didn't want to be in those movies anywhere because she got shit to do and likely because lobbying for Patti Jenkins to direct THOR 2 ended up not going the way she'd hoped

and she had more creatively rewarding work she could go for

but now that perlmutter is out and marvel seems to be trying to do better by its female characters for its good look and profit, it makes sense that Portman would want to jump back in

also, I don't think Vox Lux did very well

I  went ahead and bolded the important part.

Her career hasn't been exactly red hot and the MCU is a high profile gig.

I mean, that's why I put that very last as the punchline
My only concern about the Lady Thor thing is that, based on what I've gathered about that comics storyline, Thor himself is apparently off on some "I've been deemed unworthy (again) and need to become worthy (again)" quest. I just don't think they can do that sort of thing with Hemsworth again. The first THOR was explicitly that, then the trio of RAGNAROK, INFINITY WAR, and ENDGAME also sent Thor on a quite strong arc of embracing who he is, losing faith in himself, and then regaining it. So I think all the ground has been covered.

But if you're not doing that, then what are you giving Hemsworth Thor to do that doesn't overshadow Jane's story (because if it does, the think pieces would be something!) OR render him second fiddle in his own movie series?

Admittedly, I haven't read any of this run from the comics, so if there's more in there to draw upon as inspiration for Thor Odinson's function in the narrative, terrific.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I hope Hemsworth is turned into a frog for most of the runtime!

And then the end credits stinger can introduce Throg (after the mid credits scene reveals Loki is actually alive, of course)!

oh god, I hope FROR happens!
Waititi would be just the one to do it too.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(07-22-2019, 03:42 PM)Nooj Wrote: I mean, that's why I put that very last as the punchline

In terms of major films, she's done pretty well critically since Thor 2 - an Oscar nom w/ Jackie, Annihilation, two Malicks, and Vox Lux has some die hard defender, and she may be looking at another Oscar nom this year for that Hawley film about the astronaut kidnapper. She hasn't really had any big BO movies, but it's not like any of those were really shooting for anything beyond arthouse numbers (I guess you could argue Annihilation, but that film's cult is strong enough that she can count it as a win), it's not like she's coming off a massive flop. Arguably the biggest black mark is that whole Jane Got a Gun fiasco.
(07-22-2019, 05:42 PM)Dent6084 Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 03:42 PM)Nooj Wrote: I mean, that's why I put that very last as the punchline

In terms of major films, she's done pretty well critically since Thor 2 - an Oscar nom w/ Jackie, Annihilation, two Malicks, and Vox Lux has some die hard defender, and she may be looking at another Oscar nom this year for that Hawley film about the astronaut kidnapper. She hasn't really had any big BO movies, but it's not like any of those were really shooting for anything beyond arthouse numbers (I guess you could argue Annihilation, but that film's cult is strong enough that she can count it as a win), it's not like she's coming off a massive flop. Arguably the biggest black mark is that whole Jane Got a Gun fiasco.

Films post Thor 2:

Jane Got a Gun:  25-30 million production budget (not including marketing), grossed 1.5 million.  Complete bomb.
Knight of Cups:  Didn't go worldwide despite several years of production, budget seems tough to find, 566,000 gross.
A Tale of Love and Darkness (her directorial debut):  Four million budget, earned 572,212, failed to secure a wide release.
Jackie:  9 million budget, earned roughly 14 million.  Mild flop.
Song to the South:  Again failed to secure a wide-release, earned 443,683.  Another Malick film.  
Planetarium:  Earned roughly $3,600.00 (not a typo).   Failed to secure a release, at all, apparently.  
Heyday of Insensitive Bastards:  has never been released ... ?
Annhilation:  40 million budget, 32 million gross.  Partial Netflix release.
Vox Lux:  11 million budget, box office of 1.3 million.  Bomb.

Yeah.  I think she may be in "become some sort of known box office draw" mode at the moment. It's a business, and while it may have been creatively fulfilling for her it's been a loooong string of bad "business results" since Thor 2.

(07-22-2019, 04:54 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Waititi would be just the one to do it too.

He already did it as a one off joke when Thor first meets Loki in the last movie. It being a thing they just bring as having already happened makes me think we won't actually see it.
(07-22-2019, 03:44 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: My only concern about the Lady Thor thing is that, based on what I've gathered about that comics storyline, Thor himself is apparently off on some "I've been deemed unworthy (again) and need to become worthy (again)" quest.  I just don't think they can do that sort of thing with Hemsworth again.  The first THOR was explicitly that, then the trio of RAGNAROK, INFINITY WAR, and ENDGAME also sent Thor on a quite strong arc of embracing who he is, losing faith in himself, and then regaining it.  So I think all the ground has been covered.  

But if you're not doing that, then what are you giving Hemsworth Thor to do that doesn't overshadow Jane's story (because if it does, the think pieces would be something!) OR render him second fiddle in his own movie series?

Admittedly, I haven't read any of this run from the comics, so if there's more in there to draw upon as inspiration for Thor Odinson's function in the narrative, terrific.

My guess is they don't really take much of anything from that run as there's really nothing to take from it outside of the basic idea of her becoming Thor. Even the whole unworthy thing wouldn't make any sense after Ragnarök and End Game, and stuff like Jane Foster being sick was taken from Dark World so that's probably not happening. Might not even look the same. Her look in the comic is so you can't see her face, because it was meant to be a mystery who she was; but here it's not exactly going to be a mystery that Jane Foster is Thor, and they're probably going to want you to see Natalie Portman's face.

The first few issues of female Thor are pretty plain Jane but still somewhat serviceable comics; it's a major step down from how he started Thor with God Butcher, and it's the kind of story that would've probably worked better as one issue as opposed to being dragged across four, but it's ok I guess. But by issue five someone most of told Jason Aaron that some random person on a message board or something didn't like female Thor because he fucked up his own comic by writing a scene so stupidly hamfisted it feels like parody in which a female supervillain stops her male partner and gives up out of respect for what female Thor means. After that point his female Thor stuff was all pretty shit, outside of the Secret Wars Thors storyline he did. Thors would be the most interesting thing from Aaron's time on female Thor, but it'd probably have to be changed quite a bit to work in the MCU. Writing that out and thinking about it now I could see this as some kind of mix of Thors & God Butcher.
I think Overlord nailed a lot of it. She's still a household name but she's not a draw and she's not been making a splash outside of critical circles.

To grant her some benefit of the doubt outside of the above sort-of-cynical reasoning, the MCU's come a long way in terms of writing and character building since DARK WORLD. I don't blame Portman for checking out when she did, and I can understand her being willing to give it another shot seeing the overall improvement in storytelling the franchise has made.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear