Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1989 ... Another Summer..
So young. It was all exciting at the time. Everything felt like an event. None of my friends had cars yet, but thanks to cool older brothers and patient Moms, we still saw everything.

Girls were in the mix, so TEEN WITCH or COOKIE or GREAT BALLS OF FIRE might've been a date nite, or, if you were lucky sneaking into SEA OF LOVE. If you weren't as lucky, maybe ROOFTOPS.

Most of the time it was just the posse. Cruise the mall then roll into MAJOR LEAGUE. Or PET SEMATARY. Or WEEKEND AT BERNIE's. Or ROAD HOUSE (we mocked then, but it's maybe one that holds up best, and has aged into the best kind of classic. I now love it.).

GLEAMING THE CUBE, HEATHERS, THE 'BURBS, SKIN DEEP, BARON MUNCHAUSEN, DREAM A LITTLE DRAM, MIRACLE MILE all second run.

I went to FIELD OF DRAMS, THE ABYSS, LW 2, LAST CRUSADE with my pops and sometimes uncles.

It was a cool Summer.

The film I wish I experienced was DO THE RIGHT THING. I think it only played Atlanta around me, so I missed it, but the buzz had built by the time it hit video, and when I did see it, it was a life changer.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Of course there was THE event movie of '89. We all saw it multiple times. You know what I'm talkin' about. It seemed groundbreaking, but by the time it hit video in December I was already bored of it.

We've all talked about it more than enough.

How 'bout that JOHNNY HANDSOME.

Here's a diss of another '89 sacred cow from Odie Henderson:

"I don't understand the love for this vile movie. Never have. It turns 30 now, but when it turned 25, @House_Next_Door let me air my grievances in one of my most pissed-off pieces. Oh, and fuck the Oscars for thinking this was a better screenplay than DTRT."

Film

Summer of ’89: Dead Poet’s Society…Do the Wrong Thing

Published
5 years ago
on
June 4, 2014

By
Odie Henderson

https://www.slantmagazine.com/film/summe...ong-thing/

"Dead Poets Society purports to be about the bravery of following one’s own path. This is a bright, shining lie, one the film is ballsy enough to tell to your face. It makes examples of those who march to the beat of a different drummer by crushing them with the drum kit. Those who stay in line get to cover their asses before making empty gestures of sympathy toward the people they helped destroy. A more conformist, less inspirational piece of cinema would be hard to find."

Summer of '89 was one hell of a movie season. To be honest, the 80's in general rocked when it came to summer movies. It was also the year where Disney Animation got its groove back with The Little Mermaid and started its domination of the 90's. That one still holds up beautifully.
I have no idea why this thread says started by 'Guest'. Was that something I did on my end? Never seen it before.

I'm just setting down to read this. Recommended by Pupkin.

1989: The Last, Greatest Hollywood Summer

http://blog.dvd.netflix.com/new-dvd-rele...eat-summer

"There’s a reason 1989 looms so large – not just in my own esteem, but also for the movie business itself. It’s as if 1989 represented a kind of temporal fulcrum, like Back to the Future’s October 21st, 1985. The future of the film industry was not yet written. The novelty of sell-through home video (priced for purchase at $30 or less rather than $80-$100) had shortened theatrical release windows. Media conglomerates had begun devouring the Big Six studios. Sequels and franchise films dominated the landscape, predicting the coming wave of globally-relevant, serialized entertainment.

To quote Joe Banks in Joe Versus the Volcano (unfortunately a 1990 film), “I didn’t know it—but I knew it.” Even if I didn’t know why 1989 felt so important, I could feel the revolution in the air. I knew this was a great time to be a movie fan, but I didn’t know it wouldn’t last. If you weren’t yet of movie-watching age or have just forgotten, allow me to be your guide through those magical summer months."

Looking back, the late 70's to '93 was a golden age for summer blockbusters. I'm not sure what it was about the 90's. Maybe it was CGI or there wasn't as much craft involved but it feels like whatever secret sauce was being used to make effortless 4 quadrant films was lost. Jurrasic Park felt like the last of the gargantuan game changing films to come out. Everything afterwards is just iterations of that movie.
I was always into movies, way more than any of my friends, so I pretty much watched any and everything during the 80's. Back to the Future 2 was the first movie that really got me into the technical aspects of making films. The writing, directing, and special effects really connected with me this time and the story going back into the first film blew me away . I sat in awe of that movie and It made me want to find out more about everything I've seen before. It doesnt quite hit as hard for me now as it did then but I'll never forget the feeling I had the first time I saw it in a theater.