Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cats Pre-Release

What the hell was that?   I've never seen the live show but I don't recall the costumes being so unsettling.   It looks like someone saw Mike Meyer's Cat in the Hat movie and wondered what HIS world looked like.   I'm going to walk into traffic now.
looks cool

can't wait

so excited
While the look doesn't seem too far removed from how the stage characters themselves appeared, there's something strangely mouse about them.
I said in the other thread there should be a trigger warning? WHY ISN'T THERE? Real damage is going to be done here!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Now with more appropriate music...

https://twitter.com/ianabramson/status/1...7207372800
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
[Image: 67223376_10162050197930361_4700518199945...e=5DAE2885]

[Image: 67402144_10162050179125361_7534783757279...e=5DEE5C69]

The real ending to Big...
That felt more like Tobe Hooper's Cats.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Wait, Ari Aster didn't make this?

I was gonna say some kind of Baz Luhrman/David Lynch collaboration, looking at those stills...like hell I'm actually going to watch these things in motion.
(07-19-2019, 06:55 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: While the look doesn't seem too far removed from how the stage characters themselves appeared, there's something strangely mouse about them.

I think it's the size. While I get the idea behind the oversized sets, they look too small - they're like mice or squirrels.

Also, I'm just going to randomly yell JAMES CORDEN IS BUSTOPHER JONES! over the next few months.
(07-20-2019, 12:17 AM)ryoken Wrote: That felt more like Tobe Hooper's Cats.

Haha dear god what in the holy hell is this.

And Jennifer Hudson is such an overperformer.

(07-19-2019, 11:20 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: [Image: 67223376_10162050197930361_4700518199945...e=5DAE2885]

I can't tell if I want to fuck this or be scarred for life at the sight of it.
I don't know, I think those work together pretty well. Enjoy your new fetish, Freeman!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Finally, a movie inspired by Tim Burton's worst work.
the empire never ended
more like CRINGE
Git' in under mah belly!
I had the same initial reactions, but I've come around to the position that at least they 100% committed to a direction and didn't look back. I wouldn't say I'm anticipating this, but I do want to see it.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Nope.
I paid to see PRETTY WOMAN THE MUSICAL twice, so even though I really dislike Tom Hooper, I'm not going to hate on this.
home taping is killing music
It looks like the kind of movie the freaky alien girl from those old Playstation 2 ads would watch.
Old school Times Square adult theaters, but  for furries, coming to a multiplex near you!
What is with the tag at the end?

"This December. You will believe."

Happy Birthday, Jesus. Hope you like crap.

One can certainly see why Universal thought this would be a strong investment. Just look at the grosses for musicals released in December this decade:

Mary Poppins Returns (2018) - $172M
Greatest Showman (2017) - $174M
La La Land (2016) - $151M
Into the Woods (2014) - $128M
Annie (2014) - $86M
Les Miserables (2012) - $149M

Even frickin' Annie made its way to $86 million and that was a critical bomb. And for better or worse, people are certainly paying attention to this film. So for all the predictions of this completely bombing, I could see it doing surprisingly well and clearing $100 million just on sheer curiosity (people wanting to watch the trainwreck, musical fans, etc.) - certainly there's not going to be anything else like it in theaters this year.
(07-22-2019, 11:54 AM)catartik Wrote: What is with the tag at the end?

You will believe a cat can lick itself!
(07-22-2019, 12:11 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: One can certainly see why Universal thought this would be a strong investment. Just look at the grosses for musicals released in December this decade:

Mary Poppins Returns (2018) - $172M
Greatest Showman (2017) - $174M
La La Land (2016) - $151M
Into the Woods (2014) - $128M
Annie (2014) - $86M
Les Miserables (2012) - $149M

Even frickin' Annie made its way to $86 million and that was a critical bomb. And for better or worse, people are certainly paying attention to this film. So for all the predictions of this completely bombing, I could see it doing surprisingly well and clearing $100 million just on sheer curiosity (people wanting to watch the trainwreck, musical fans, etc.) - certainly there's not going to be anything else like it in theaters this year.

Surely this is more expensive than any of those, though, save for maybe POPPINS.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.

(07-22-2019, 12:32 PM)commodorejohn Wrote:

"You will believe Rebel Wilson eats mice!"

That's certainly true re: budget. Can't find any information on how much it cost, but it definitely LOOKS like it cost a lot.
Oooo . . . I wanna do one:

"You will believe Taylor Swift shits in a box!"
(07-22-2019, 01:01 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote:

(07-22-2019, 12:32 PM)commodorejohn Wrote:

"You will believe Rebel Wilson eats mice!"

Don't....follow up with....obvious joke.....don't do it.....don't.......come on waaaaaaaalt you can do it.....
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I cant help but wonder how many anime nerds were dissapointed by this, given their vision of Catgirls
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
This December. You will believe. That Idris Elba will not stay off the kitchen counter.
So there are a number of reasons why this is so expensive, other than "digital fur technology."

First, the timeframe. Like PHANTOM, this has been in development since the 1980s. And it costs money to be in development, to commission scripts over the years, to do all of that. So like with a lot of long-gestating projects, it's entirely possible that they were millions in the hole before they even started talking to Tom Hooper.

Second, the underlying rights to the property. Both Andrew Lloyd Webber and Cameron Mackintosh are tremendously protective/picky about adaptations of their work, and if at any point they reverted back to one of them, then they could have said to Universal or whoever: "We'll give you the rights, but we want you to guarantee a budget of 100 million."

Third, one of the big reasons musicals are so expensive is...well, the music. In Broadway theater, the cast recording is done the first Monday and Tuesday after opening night. That's with a full cast of performers usually doing the show 8 times a week and an orchestra who is also doing that material many times a week. And that recording is usually without additional production, and it still costs 500,000 for two days of recording under those circumstances.

As talented as Taylor Swift or Idris Elba or Jaaaayyyson Derrrulllo are, they're not, say, Cassie Levy (who stars as Elsa in Frozen) or Aaron Tveit (played Enrjolas in Hooper's Les Mis, currently starring in the Ewan McGregor role in Moulin Rouge). And even Broadway/theater vets like Corden, Dench, and Hudson are going to require rehearsal time, either in the studio or out of it. Plus an orchestra - and remember, musicians at this level are union. So if you're going the traditional route and recording your tracks before you shoot your film, that's more money than 500,000 right there.

Then you add in the fact that when you shoot a scene, you're probably going to shoot different takes of a song, which may require you to go back into the studio and re-record something. Or the fact you might keep an orchestra "on call" so you don't have to worry about the Yorkshire Symphony Pops being on tour when you need them - which is expensive.

The costs add up very quickly under these circumstances when it comes to recording, so it wouldn't be surprising if a lot of the budget is going just to that.

So those are three reasons as to why this might cost what it does. Well, that and the digital fur technology.
home taping is killing music
One imagines the cast was well compensated for their shame, as well.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
That is some seriously unsettling imagery.

Furries will love it.

You got your cats, you got your singing, you've got your Jason De Rulo screaming MILK, the basic fundamentals of drama.