Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time In Hollywood (Post Release)
They're really fucking milking the theatrical run. Umpteen other July/August releases not only are already available in video, some of them have been available for quite some time (Lion King, Crawl, Scary Stories, Hobbs/Shaw ... etc.).

Scary Stories is out to buy?
I think China refusing to show the movie has led to them trying to recoup as much $ as they can here. That extended cut sounds like it only includes some extraneous footage, such as a commercial showing James Marsden as Burt Reynolds. I'll wait for the Blu release.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(10-28-2019, 07:21 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Scary Stories is out to buy?

Yes. For a week or two now, IIRC.

It's a pretty short scene.

I saw this three times in the cinema!
Two here...and I want to see it again soon!
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
You should see it a third time like all the cool ppl!
(10-28-2019, 07:20 PM)Overlord Wrote: They're really fucking milking the theatrical run.  Umpteen other July/August releases not only are already available in video, some of them have been available for quite some time (Lion King, Crawl, Scary Stories, Hobbs/Shaw ... etc.).

I wish studios would hold off on home video longer than two months these days, but I understand that's always been done as a way of combating digital torrenting.
(10-28-2019, 08:11 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 07:20 PM)Overlord Wrote: They're really fucking milking the theatrical run.  Umpteen other July/August releases not only are already available in video, some of them have been available for quite some time (Lion King, Crawl, Scary Stories, Hobbs/Shaw ... etc.).

I wish studios would hold off on home video longer than two months these days, but I understand that's always been done as a way of combating digital torrenting.

Why would an individual consumer ever be in favor of fewer viewing options?

I'm super patient, and the extra time between theatrical release and home video gets me more hyped to see it at home when I can. At least, I feel this way about OUATIH.
I'm with Stocks a bit on this one. I kind of miss (a little!) the wait between the theatrical run and the home video release. For me, if it was a movie I loved, that used to build up the anticipation all over again.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Honestly, I like the technology we have now for home viewing. The quality of the HDTVs. Blu ray and 4K. That's all very nice. All the rest of it can get to fuck. I wish we could have the technology we have now....but with the way it all was 25-30 years ago. Video stores being gone just sucks ass..
Browsing a video store like you would a library? Yeah, I miss that too. The tangible quality of it. And if you were lucky there would be clerks that were actually fun to bullshit with about movies and whatever. Though digital is more convenient, it's not nearly as fun and spontaneous.
(10-28-2019, 08:19 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I'm super patient, and the extra time between theatrical release and home video gets me more hyped to see it at home when I can. At least, I feel this way about OUATIH.

(10-28-2019, 08:31 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I'm with Stocks a bit on this one.  I kind of miss (a little!) the wait between the theatrical run and the home video release.  For me, if it was a movie I loved, that used to build up the anticipation all over again.

You folks can edge yourself all you want, but I prefer a multiplicity of convenient viewing options!

Of course the Emperor would want more options.
I definitely saw way more movies when Blockbuster was around than after they pulled up almost everywhere in 2010. Releases are also way less varied since the home video market died with the death of such a major buyer. There's also stuff now that a decade ago would have gotten a US release immediately, that now might take years; and even when it does come out you may completely miss it where you wouldn't have at a video store on the new release wall.
As the 2010s draw to a sad, soul-destroying, sputtering close, I invested a near three hours into viewing this paean to the closing of a different decade. And what a ride those three hours were.

Collection of random thoughts:

--While I'm not certain it's my fave Tarantino (still might be Pulp Fiction), this is EASILY, far and away, his greatest directorial effort. This was an absolute tour de force, and he made it feel effortless. Whether it's Cliff tearing through the streets of L.A., the incredible set design and on-location shooting, the attention to details, the snappy editing that made scenes that could have felt teetering and overly long whisk by ... just a fantastic effort on multiple levels.

--This was an homage to an age of both L.A. and of "Hollywood" that felt 1000% more engaging than something like LA LA Land.

--Is there an Academy Award for casting director? Was it just QT? I may never see a better cast movie than this film. And I'm not just talking about the two leads (Dicaprio in particular is magnificent, more on that later), I'm talking about EVERYTHING. From the spaghetti Western producer, to the over-the-top director, to that crazily talented scene-stealing ten year old girl, to Margot Robbie, to the Manson clan ... EVERYONE was perfectly cast.

--Dicaprio and Pitt are, in many ways, throwbacks to a different era of stars. When lead charisma and, let's face it, raw sex appeal, overwhelmingly sold tickets rather than any other factor. There's a thread on here about "director of the decade" and in my opinion the 2010s has been, far and away, the "decade of the producer." If the 70s and 80s ... and maybe 90s ... was the era of the director, than the 50s and 60s was the era of the "stars." Pitt and Dicaprio LOOK and act like stars of that era, which makes the partial deconstructions we see in Once all the more convincing.

--Dicaprio is so strong in this. The "play within a play" is always an opportunity to deliver an acting tour de force (or completely bomb), and he delivers here. But it's so subtle. During the western filming scenes Dicaprio, line by line, sinks into the role until the artifice of the production-within-a-production takes over. Just incredible acting and incredible directing. I was expecting him to fall apart, but when the opposite happens and he breaks down in joy at praise from the director and a precocious child, the relief is palpable. His "breakdown" scene contrasts so beautifully with the confidence he regains half an hour later.

--When Manson showed up my first thought was "that guy looks identical to the chap who played Manson in Mindhunter." Lo and behold, same actor. He's typecast forever now!

--So Pitt's character murdered his wife. Nobody's perfect, I guess. I like how QT just basically made Booth the personification of everything traditionally "cool" about 1960s movie masculinity, and then quietly punctured the facade here and there (wife murderer, near-broke, violent streak, Kato-Kaelin-esque-hanger-on, etc). Have they made a poster of him with work gloves, shirtless, on the roof yet? Cause I'm sure quite a few gals (some guys, too) can probably paint that image from memory.

--Can't praise the production design enough. Just ... amazing. I've been to most of those places, but to see them dressed up in period decor and artfully strung together gives life to an architecture and "look" that just doesn't exist anymore, yet it totally feels like it could have been filmed in 1969.

--I am surprised by how engaging and, shall we say, nerve-wracking this was? The looming Manson threat over the entire film feels perfect, like it's the end of the 60s and we know things in the world aren't going to get any better, just like how we know that there's a looming monster over the lives of these characters that will have to be dealt with.

--As I watched this, the most immediate comparison that came to mind was Mad Men. We are allowed to engage with the lives of these characters, and not all of it ties into the main "plot," such as it is. It's the world, and our being able to glimpse that world with an extraordinary degree of verisimilitude, that's to a large degree the real throughput of the movie.

--I find it interesting that this movie's depiction of Bruce Lee will probably be the one that comes to mind for me from this day forward. For good or for ill, I suppose.

--For a split second, I thought that was Steve McQueen. Then I realized it was Damien Lewis. Fucking amazing hair and make-up jobs in this film. Robbie looked just enough like Tate that I could buy the footage of the actual Tate that they used. Barely. If I squinted at it. I like how happy and exuberant Robbie was in this. I think Tate is either dancing, giggling, or singing in 90% of her on-screen time. Given what we know happened to the real life Tate, it just ratcheted up the tension that much more.

--Look, I don't mind alt history for the most part. The Man in the High Castle is one of my favorite shows. But I will admit that a big reason I didn't catch this in the theater is because I had a real problem with the ending of Inglorious Basterds and I didn't want to replicate that in-theater emotional reaction. These were real people and they really died and their relatives are still with us. When this plot point was spoiled for me it chilled a lot of my enthusiasm, but ultimately my worries were mostly misplaced. I still would have GREATLY preferred that they just switch the names. Have it be Charles Smith and have it be Sharon Doe, something like that. But ... because the actual victims did not feature in the scenes of violence, I ended up not being too bothered by it.

--And wow, was that some fucking cathartic violence. Parole for the Manson clan of murderers? How about just a tortuous series of skull-crunching, instead? Immensely satisfying on so many levels. I suppose I should endeavor to rise above such venial and counter productive notions, but what the hell.

--Manson is barely in this, which was surprising.

--The face-off at the ranch between Booth and the Children of the Corn was INCREDIBLY tense, positively Leone-esque in its staging/framing.

--The running time, for the most part, flew by. Ordering on 4k when available, and actually can't wait to watch it again. I wish we could have explored more in that world for hours on end.

(12-02-2019, 09:41 PM)Overlord Wrote: --Look, I don't mind alt history for the most part. The Man in the High Castle is one of my favorite shows

--The running time, for the most part, flew by. Ordering on 4k when available, and actually can't wait to watch it again. I wish we could have explored more in that world for hours on end.

So how did you feel about that portal shit with Man in the High Castle?

And the 4K is coming out December 10th.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I haven't finished season four yet!!

It does sound like there will be a longer Netflix version of this. It sounds like there was a lot cut too. Tarantino said everyone but Margaret Qually had extra stuff that ended up getting cut, and there's a few people that were cast that aren't in the final film.

I'd actually say everything does tie into the plot of the movie to a surprising degree. Even things that feel like little asides Tarantino is taking us on like just hanging out with Booth in his trailer for a bit of comedy that shows how well trained his dog is come back for the ending.
Chekov's dog!

If you show a dog being a good boy in the first act he better come back at the end to bite someone in the dick.
(12-02-2019, 09:52 PM)Overlord Wrote: I haven't finished season four yet!!

OHH...ohhh.....
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Quote:His "breakdown" scene contrasts so beautifully with the confidence he regains half an hour later.

Tarantino said that the trailer breakdown was Dicaprio's idea, which kinda shocks me... it's such a terrific part of Dalton's arc in the film.
(12-03-2019, 09:19 AM)Mangy Wrote:
Quote:His "breakdown" scene contrasts so beautifully with the confidence he regains half an hour later.

Tarantino said that the trailer breakdown was Dicaprio's idea, which kinda shocks me... it's such a terrific part of Dalton's arc in the film.

It seems so essential to that entire arc it's hard to believe it wasn't planned for the get-go!

I know! Dicaprio apparently improv'd the whole scene - https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2483721...er-nervous

I'd love to see Tarantino's original script.
As far as special features, if I can't have a commentary or a feature length making-of, all I really want is a second blu-ray disc featuring nothing but every second of A and B roll footage they shot of Cliff Booth driving around 1969 Los Angeles listening to the radio.

Seriously, I could take that for like ninety minutes at least.
(12-03-2019, 04:43 PM)engineer Wrote: As far as special features, if I can't have a commentary or a feature length making-of, all I really want is a second blu-ray disc featuring nothing but every second of A and B roll footage they shot of Cliff Booth driving around 1969 Los Angeles listening to the radio.  

Seriously, I could take that for like ninety minutes at least.

That scene was shockingly mesmerizing.  And if you try to explain why you sound like a fucking goofball.

I wonder how much additional footage is out there.  Didn't QT say something about wanting to film a bunch of half hour clips of the Bounty Hunter show?

That "extended cut" they released featured a Red Apple commercial with Marsden as Burt Reynolds, and I think maybe a couple of extra bits in the credits, but that was it.

QT always jib-jabs about expanding his projects. I'm skeptical, but who knows?
The Red Apple commercial with Marsden was pretty dire. I can see why they cut it.
(12-03-2019, 05:12 PM)Mangy Wrote: QT always jib-jabs about expanding his projects.

Wow, you ain't kidding:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Ta...d_projects

Well, he has already done it with Hateful Eight, and he was talking about probably doing it with Netflix again. 

That Wiki link doesn't even have everything. Off the top of my head it's missing:

- The Godzilla film he talked about wanting to do where Godzilla started to be viewed as a god to the people of Japan
- The Berlin Game, Mexico Set, London Match adaptation he talked about...I think after Inglourious Basterds
- An actual Kill Bill The Whole Bloody Affair, and not just the two movies edited together. He said a few years ago he got a new anime piece from Production I.G. The whole original idea behind The Whole Bloody Affair was to put it back how it would have been if it was released as one movie, so like in the Kill Bill script you had things like the opening to Vol. 2 being the opening to the actual movie.
- The Kill Bill anime that would've told different stories about the Deadly Viper Squad. Sounded kind of like what the Matrix anime is
- In the Sony leaks he's talking about maybe remaking The Gravy Train (The Dion Brothers)
- The Django / Zorro Django comic being turned into a movie also came up in the Sony leaks. That also just came up again this year as something him and Jerrod Carmichael are doing
Without a doubt, the most interesting film on that list is the film set in the Middle Ages, with Helen Mirren as a' foul-mouthed Queen'.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I think that was just a rumor, like Tarantino doing a Friday the 13th movie, (although they met with him about it) and that Shadow movie that Sam Raimi was reported to be the producer on. I think shortly after that rumor came out Helen Mirren said something like she'd never met with him for a role but she'd love to work with him. 

He was also rumored to be making a Dracula movie because he was apparently scouting castles. If he actually was, I wonder if that could have been for Django Unchained? It would have been before that movie came out.

There was something he wanted to do with Kate Winslet I couldn't remember. Turns out it was the Berlin Game, Mexico Set, London Match spy film or films.