Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE LIGHTHOUSE (2019) Arrr film be from the scalawag Robert Eggers
The kid was the real monster of the movie.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Didn't see BADABOOM, but I did see IT FOLLOWS and that was also pretty underwhelming.
I didn't like IT FOLLOWS
fucking seagulls, man.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

What a great final shot too
It's insane how Robert Pattinson keeps outdoing himself because this might be my favorite performance of his.

But yeah, The Lighthouse is just really fun because it's so bonkers and off the wall.
"Why did she do it?"

I'm more excited about Pattinson than I've been about most big superhero choices of the last 15 years (Bale, Evans, Garfield etc) because of his output beforehand.

I think he gas the opportunity to bring some unhinged mania to Batman that we've really yet to see.
(01-23-2020, 11:24 PM)ska oreo Wrote: fucking seagulls, man.

Seriously, how great is it that this movie has a "Seagull Unit" listed in the credits? I say very.

(01-24-2020, 09:06 AM)call me roy Wrote: I'm more excited about Pattinson than I've been about most big superhero choices of the last 15 years (Bale, Evans, Garfield etc) because of his output beforehand.

I think he gas the opportunity to bring some unhinged mania to Batman that we've really yet to see.

You want him to get nuts?
(01-24-2020, 07:52 PM)Pither Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 11:24 PM)ska oreo Wrote: fucking seagulls,  man.

Seriously, how great is it that this movie has a "Seagull Unit" listed in the credits? I say very.

(01-24-2020, 09:06 AM)call me roy Wrote: I'm more excited about Pattinson than I've been about most big superhero choices of the last 15 years (Bale, Evans, Garfield etc) because of his output beforehand.

You want him to get nuts?

I can see that Keaton eccentricity in a Patterson performance.

Considering how people didn't really take to BVS, I highly doubt we're gonna see a standard Bruce Wayne performance.  But hopefully they can sneak some of that in.
"Why did she do it?"

So this was....something.

It's a film I feel like I can't intelligibly comment on. Beautifully shot. Sound design was fantastic. Utterly committed to its specific brand of madness. A mermaid both sexy and super disturbing. Evokes Greek myth but doesn't seem wholly or centrally about that conceit.

The acting...Pattinson is a revelation here, for me. My exposure to him is very, very limited, and I think he delivers a powerhouse performance. Dafoe is of course very good but for me this often veers into what Bart calles schmacting, though it's clear that's a very deliberate choice.

I have no fucking idea what the film was about, though, and no idea what the viewer is meant to take away from it. Hard for me to imagine watching it again, but I don't rule it out entirely.

It's cool that movies like this are getting made but for me, a film like this serves as infrequent seasoning amongst my more mainstream and easily digested cinematic entrees.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

I like this more than THE WITCH.

Agree with you about Pattinson, MichaellM... I was stunned by how good he was in this and GOOD TIME. Two very very different performances, and he kills it.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Having watched it three times now, I'm pretty sure it's about masculinity. The two of them enacting various permutations of Dom/Sub inside a giant white stone phallus. And also about how much it sucks to have a bad roommate.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I think Eggers has said "Bad things happen when you force two men to live inside a giant phallus."

Pretty sure it's about being drunk.  Also mermaids.  Also THOSE GODDAMN FARTS!!!

Also this is required viewing.

"Why did she do it?"