Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LAST CHRISTMAS Discussion (Sponsored by the "GOT Did Emilia Clarke Dirty" Foundation)

Looks pretty good! SIMPLE FAVOR was fucking great, and Paul Feig is proving himself to be one of our best directors of actors. 

I just hope it's not something dumb where he's an angel and she's been dead the whole time.

(I swear we had a thread for this, but fuck the search function.)
home taping is killing music
The sound you hear is Freeman exploding in his pants.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
This looks like a trailer for a fake movie inside an actual movie. Where Emilia Clarke plays an actress who appears in cliched Christmas romcoms. Forgetting Sarah Marshall style.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Wish I could have been there on set when Paul Feig explained ALF to Michelle Yeoh.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
I appreciate that the movie appears to be letting Emilia Clarke play a huge goofball, as that is how she predominantly comes across in real life (and I mean that in a good way), and I am a certifiable sucker for Christmas programming, but that trailer makes the movie look like ROMANTIC COMEDY TROPES: THE MOTION PICTURE. The presence of Emma Thompson at the script level is reassuring, but it seems to be hitting A LOT of very familiar notes. I will probably end up seeing it because I'm enough of a mark for Christmas stuff.

I still don't get why these big-release Christmas-centric movies always seem to come out in early November, though. Who wants to see a Yuletide comedy only a week after Halloween?!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(08-14-2019, 11:18 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: ...that trailer makes the movie look like ROMANTIC COMEDY TROPES: THE MOTION PICTURE.  

This. Precisely this.

I mean, I'm a guy who digs THE LAKE HOUSE and this movie just looks more of the same to me.

Wondering if boone's speculation is right and that was the hook to get Clarke and Thompson on board.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Well, Thompson wrote it, so.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Right. So that gives us some hope it's not as standard as the trailer suggests.

Are Abrams and Lindelof involved in this? Why is Twitter treating the trailer as if this some kind of mystery box (Secret Santa?) movie?

It looks like standard junk.

I hate how you can market a movie into trending just by hiring firms to spam hashtags.

/cynical

One theory that makes a lot of sense is that Clarke's life-threatening illness was a heart transplant, and Golding is the dead guy whose heart she now has.

Literally: "Last Christmas, I gave you my heart."
(08-14-2019, 11:18 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: I still don't get why these big-release Christmas-centric movies always seem to come out in early November, though.  Who wants to see a Yuletide comedy only a week after Halloween?!

Presumably more people than want to see it a week after New Year's.

If they want it to run 6-8 weeks, this is its slot.
Gamertag: Tweakee
(08-14-2019, 05:56 PM)boone daniels Wrote: One theory that makes a lot of sense is that Clarke's life-threatening illness was a heart transplant, and Golding is the dead guy whose heart she now has.

I fucking hate this, because it kind of fits. I spent the entire trailer wondering why this 10/10 male model who volunteers would have such a sustained interest in a complete trainwreck and "angel" or "ghost heart donor" makes a distressing amount of sense. Like that lame boat movie where the guy was dead the whole time, I really hope this doesn't turn into some Hallmark nonsense in the 3rd act.

Otherwise looks charming. Emilia allowed to actually be herself and be funny and charming, which GoT wasn't great at. Casting her as Dany was like when people cast Ryan Reynolds as a super serious leading man. Little nervous about Feig... I'm STILL sore about Ghostbusters. The near death backstory is obviously pretty true to life which might be a little uncomfortable to experience... Fingers crossed. My girl basically can't afford another BO flop or it's basically lights out at this point.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Golding is a ghost/angel. He doesn't interact with anyone other than Clarke in the trailer, for one thing.

Clarke is clearly one of the many actors who would be benefiting if non-Netflix rom-coms were still a big thing.
(08-14-2019, 05:56 PM)boone daniels Wrote: One theory that makes a lot of sense is that Clarke's life-threatening illness was a heart transplant, and Golding is the dead guy whose heart she now has.

I almost hope it's something that hacky!

(08-14-2019, 05:58 PM)farsight Wrote: Presumably more people than want to see it a week after New Year's.

If they want it to run 6-8 weeks, this is its slot.

I guess that's their intention, but it seems a Wednesday-before-Thanksgiving release would be a much more suitable area in which to open Christmas-themed movies.
Stop wishing for this to be awful! That's bad mojo!
Looks like a nice romcom. Kind of surprised Paul Feig hasn't made a movie since Bridesmaids. When i saw this trailer on YouTube and the little preview showed Paul Feig's name I was definitely expecting something very different, but at the end it said it was written by Emma Thompson and I was like: Oh, that makes sense.
They could go full bonkers like that weird Will Smith Christmas movie from a couple years ago where his friends emotionally manipulated him into thinking he was crazy!
RED LEATHER JACKET!

Oh God Nooj is right... It's a Hallmark movie!
Eh, Paul Feig? Guy hasn't made a good movie since BRIDESMAIDS.
Was I just in a good mood when I saw Spy or what?
SPY is pretty good.

Eh, no. I got as much laughter from that as GHOSTBUSTERS '16.
Statham alone is better than ANYTHING in GB 16.
(08-14-2019, 07:30 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: They could go full bonkers like that weird Will Smith Christmas movie from a couple years ago where his friends emotionally manipulated him into thinking he was crazy!

I so totally forgot that was a thing to the point that at first I thought you were talking about Winter's Tale. Although I didn't know Collateral Beauty was a Christmas movie.

(08-14-2019, 08:33 PM)freeman Wrote: Was I just in a good mood when I saw Spy or what?

I liked Spy, it was basically the whole reason I was willing to give his Ghostbusters movie a chance after the terrible trailer.
(08-14-2019, 09:14 PM)freeman Wrote: Statham alone is better than ANYTHING in GB 16.

He's nothing special.
Da fuq?!
I thought he was pretty special

it was the most overtly comic a performance I’d ever seen him give, and he played a fantastic clown in a way that was a real surprise/delight
I'm kind of surprised he doesn't get more comedy stuff since comedy in Guy Ritchie movies is what made him famous. I've always found it kind of funny Statham became this big action star, since Snatch is the first place I ever saw him.
He’s funny in Snatch, but his was more the straight man role, which he does really well

Spy was the first movie where I saw him actively playing a clown in a way that he specifically could, and it really made the movie (which is otherwise unremarkable, but a lot of fun)
Manic Pixie Dream Guy! Turnabout is fair play.

My thoughts are generally the same. The title and everything else makes me think "Oh. One of those" But the actual trailer and Emma Thompson's involvement make it seem like it will be better than "those sorts of movies". At the same time I said "He better not be dead or something." after no external prompting or info about half way through the trailer.

I'm a bit torn on which is worse, the "girl meets perfect guy to pull her out of her funk and is all about her" type plot or the "Girl meets guy too good to be true and, plot twist, he isnt! But she can cope better with the cold lonely world/family/her problems after he's there" type.
The first I think can be managed well enough to make work. I don't think it's possible for the second one to not feel like a cheat (that should cause massive existential malaise in most people, but some still manage to find it heart warming a "real").
(08-14-2019, 06:09 PM)freeman Wrote: My girl basically can't afford another BO flop or it's basically lights out at this point.

Our girl, you mean.

In all seriousness, I, too, am curious to see what happens with this and the box office. I think you could make the argument that as many people, if not more, saw Game of Thrones' last season as Avengers Endgame. Clarke is arguably one of the biggest stars in the world...but because she's not had a box office hit yet, she's not seen as "bankable." Which I get - it's the problem we have with so many stars this decade: Everybody loves Chris Evans as Captain America and Chris Hemsworth as Thor, but do they actually love Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth based on their non-Marvel movies? We don't know, but looks like...not. (Pratt is actually the Chris who has proven he's bankable across a variety of movies; albeit mass entertainments like PASSENGERS.) So Clarke is a proven commodity AS Dany, but not as herself yet.

Now, there are a few things working in her favor:

First, she's not hampered by her THRONES shoot schedule anymore, which probably forced her to pass on a number of projects/films before now. I was reminded while listening to a podcast yesterday that Jon Hamm was almost Nick in GONE GIRL, but Matthew Weiner wouldn't let him balance shooting that with the final season of MAD MEN. So Clarke has a lot more options than she did even a year ago.

Second, the Emmys are late September and this comes out early November. As I've said elsewhere, based on the nominees and the lay of the land, Clarke is the front-runner to win Best Actress in a Drama. I know nobody cares about the Emmys, but it will give her a boost in October as she ramps up to promote the movie.

Third, all of you motherfuckers dinging on Feig need to go watch A SIMPLE FAVOR. I know like none of you saw it, because I started the thread on it. Not only is it a different direction for Feig, but it solidifies his rep as a great director of actors. He directs Blake Lively to a career best performance, and Clarke is way more talented than Lively.

However, if this does bomb, I think you'll probably see Clarke go the Elisabeth Moss route, doing lots of small parts in indie features until somebody comes along with another big TV role for her.

The real test, though, is going to be whenever ABOVE SUSPICION comes out, which is this Philip Noyce thriller where she plays a Kentucky white trash femme fatale type. That's a big departure for her - particularly the accent - so I think that will also speak to what she'll be able to do. Can she disappear into a role, or will she always have that movie star quality of "Emilia Clarke, playing Emilia Clarke?"

We'll see.
Clarke as a redneck hottie? I'm baffled and intrigued.

Hopefully they let her go with her natural hair color. She's way more attractive as a brunette.

Statham's very good in SPY. I dare say he's...something special.

I like A SIMPLE FAVOR less than most who saw it, but Lively is fantastic. I don't agree Clarke is more talented than Lively at all, although it looks like she gives her most human performance in this, solely based on the trailer.

His best movie remains BRIDESMAIDS. GB 16 is awful poop.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
I saw Simple Favor! It was fine. I was surprised how toothless it ended up being.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
From what I understand Above Suspicion has been leaked somewhere, and while I haven't watched it myself I've heard some not so great things through the grapevine. Plus it was shot like four years ago and hasn't found distribution, not promising.

I still stand by the fact that Me Before You is Clarkes best performance, because she's basically more or less allowed to be her bubbly charming funny self in it, similar to what this movie is doing. Dany may be more iconic and GoT may have a massive audience, but that's like Ryan Reynolds starring in a massive film in a relatively humorless role. You're kind of wasting the best part of the performer that way.

Nooj and I were talking and this comes out on a tremendously competitive weekend. It opens along with Doctor Sleep, a John Cena kids movie, Emmerichs new War movie and an animated dog movie. I'm sure it'll do fine as it's the only rom comish thing coming out for a good long while, but it's certainly a tough opening weekend.