Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Hidden Life - Terrence Malick
Either this trailer has every scene in the movie where people talk, or this is the most straight movie Terrence Malick has made in like two decades.

I associate August Diehl with INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS so much that I might have trouble getting used to him standing up to Nazis.

Still, this looks really interesting. Malick lost me with his post-TREE OF LIFE films (and frankly, with some of TREE OF LIFE itself), but I'll definitely check this out.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
I love Tree of Life so very much, it's my favorite film of his, but it's almost such a perfect galvanization of his work that everything after it was practically doomed to self-parody.

That said, I really like this trailer and it's good to see him tackling something that might ground his flight a bit.
the empire never ended
aw this looks really good!
THE TREE OF LIFE: Love
TO THE WONDER: Really like
KNIGHT OF CUPS: Really like
SONG TO SONG: It's okay
VOYAGE OF TIME: Haven't had the opportunity yet.
He seems to have backed off of the "when you run out of script, film women twirling" approach, so that's a plus.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
It's like he never got over that scene from The Doctor
(08-15-2019, 10:07 PM)wasp Wrote: I love Tree of Life so very much, it's my favorite film of his, but it's almost such a perfect galvanization of his work that everything after it was practically doomed to self-parody.

That said, I really like this trailer and it's good to see him tackling something that might ground his flight a bit.
Maybe I'm just one of those boring plebes who's too drawn to narrative, but BADLANDS and DAYS OF HEAVEN will always be my favorite.

My favorite of Malick's post-twenty-year-break films is far and away THE NEW WORLD. I think TREE OF LIFE is a work of genius only one person could have made, and everything involving Sean Penn wondering around the desert plays like a perfume commercial to me.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
The New World is my favorite film of the last 20 years.

I liked To The Wonder, and really liked The Tree of Life. I did get to see Voyage of Time (at the Smithsonian), and I would highly recommend it. It's definitely Malick, but the tight runtime keeps it brisk and potent. I am very interested in this.

I still need to see Knight of Cups and Song to Song.
I'm not Avery.
TREE OF LIFE was an experience, and had sequences of breathtaking awe, audacity, and profundity. I'm hard pressed to say I "liked" it, just because it's not a film I like the way I like The Replacements or Infinity War.

Couldn't finish TO THE WONDER.

I've only seen THIN RED LINE once but it was pretty great. My introduction to Malick, actually.

I wanted to love THE NEW WORLD but just couldn't. I admired it, certainly, but not a film I'm likely to revisit.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I had to struggle to finish Tree of Life. Something like that is better to watch in episodes. All at once is a test of endurance.
Git' in under mah belly!
Only Malick could film Michael Fassbender playing bongos at Austin City Limits, and end up with an inert non-movie that I can't remember if I finished.

Knight of Cups, about the same. If you want to see Christian Bale drive down an LA highway in a convertible for 2 hours, that's your movie.

Got the Tree of Life director's cut Criterion, it was great. I've watched it twice. Only some scenes of the kids wandering the neighborhood were a bit long. I've never seen the regular version.

To the Wonder on Netflix- I crapped out after about 40 minutes. I did not have confidence in Affleck's ability to make something out of nothing. Bardem seemed like another cliched conflicted priest character. Where was the Wonder??

New World, long version. Very very good! I need to get the disc and see it again.

Thin Red Line- My favorite Malick by far, one of the best war movies ever made. The take on Caviezel's pseudo-pacifism is innovative and unique for the genre. Clooney's cameo sucks. Nolte is incredible.

I need to give Days of Heaven and Badlands a more attentive proper viewing.
There's a great 90 minute film trapped in The Thin Red Line, yearning to break free from bizarre lingering nature shots of frogs gestating and foliage ... foliage'ing.

My biggest problem with Malick is basically everything he's done since he came back just feels like he'd rather be making a nature documentary than the movie he's making.
Thin Red Line is frequently amazing, much like Tree of Life, but I think New World is the one where actual character arcs emerge between the swirly beauty. We get to see the extent of Farrell and Plummer and Kilcher's performances, in a way he hasn't done since. There's, like, drama and stuff.
Seems like a good place to post this:

"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
The final act of The New World is a true, quiet wonder. Makes the movie, really.
the empire never ended